Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cache Creek Pig HUnting

Thanks

Default Cache Creek Pig HUnting

Anyone hunting Cache Creek for pigs? I have access to a small ranch right on cache creek have been seeing a lot of nighttime activity through trail cams but nothing through the day, any tips for this area.. It seems if these pigs out here are all nocturnal..

Bonus side:

I have a nuisance permit for this ranch which allows me to hunt 24 hours a day with lights any tips are great?
    "I know now as men accept the time clock of the wilderness, their lives become entirely different. It is one of the great compensations of primitive experience, and when one finally reaches the point where days are governed by daylight and dark, rather than by schedules, where one eats if hungry and sleeps when tired, and becomes completely immersed in the ancient rhythms, then one begins to live" Sigurd Olson

Thanks

Wife shot one two years ago on a WU ranch near there. He was out feeding at light and after about 30 minutes of the sun coming up was headed for the brush, but was intercepted by the wife's 30-06 and a 150 grain bullet before he got there. I would think with weather like this the last 10 minutes before dark should be ideal. We saw quite few running around on Saturday evening when the wife shot another one between Napa and Cordilla on a WU ranch. Also saw a few out feeding Saturday morning from 7 to 7:45 but they were on the wrong side of the fence.

Thanks

Cheta, if you ever in need of a hunting partner, PM me. I live next door to you in American Cyn. and if you are bow hunting, i'm heading out to lake sonoma in Nov.

Thanks

Miensean I bow hunt also. I am always looking for a few good hunters to share a fire with..
    "I know now as men accept the time clock of the wilderness, their lives become entirely different. It is one of the great compensations of primitive experience, and when one finally reaches the point where days are governed by daylight and dark, rather than by schedules, where one eats if hungry and sleeps when tired, and becomes completely immersed in the ancient rhythms, then one begins to live" Sigurd Olson

Thanks

Hey Cheta, I'm a bowhunter too and love shooting pigs. I'm in Willits.

Thanks

bow hunting here also in tracy would love to come play with the pigs and make some new hunting buddys pm me cheta
    masterbuilt elect...
    traeger 075

Thanks

Since you can do it 24hrs. Then for sure 2 hours before sunrise or 2 hours after be out there with a spot light. My buddy had to same thing in Gilroy/Hollister area. If you can roll around in a truck or on a ATV then that would help. When you hit them with the spot lights they dont FREEZE but for sure slow down whatever they are doing, and should give you a good oppertunity at a nice shot.

-Dave

PS. Tell big brother after you get your pig, you'll help with his deer!!!
    " I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything; it has to do with how the day was spent."

-Fred Bear

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shmave23 View Post
    Since you can do it 24hrs. Then for sure 2 hours before sunrise or 2 hours after be out there with a spot light. My buddy had to same thing in Gilroy/Hollister area. If you can roll around in a truck or on a ATV then that would help. When you hit them with the spot lights they dont FREEZE but for sure slow down whatever they are doing, and should give you a good oppertunity at a nice shot.

-Dave

PS. Tell big brother after you get your pig, you'll help with his deer!!!
    Dave you can't spotlight any animal hunting in Ca.
    TU member
    Sierra Pacific Fly fishers Association
    DU member
    CWA member
    SCVQUWF (santa clarita valley quail upland wildlife federation)

It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by k_rad View Post
    Dave you can't spotlight any animal hunting in Ca.

You can spotlight if you have depredation permits.

CHAD PEZZLE is offline Member Moving Up In The World CHAD PEZZLE is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

If you have a depredation permit you can spot light them. But technically you're supposed to call in your kill and let DFG take the pig/animal that is damaging the property.

It's also legal to spotlight coyotes as long as the light is handheld and under a specific voltage. To say it's illegal to spotlight any animal in Ca isn't quite right but there are specific rules to follow.

Chad

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by miensean View Post
    Cheta, if you ever in need of a hunting partner, PM me. I live next door to you in American Cyn. and if you are bow hunting, i'm heading out to lake sonoma in Nov.
    Il be up at Lake Sonoma A LOT this year bow huntin for some hogs. I live in sonoma county and also have a boat that i like to out on the lake so i can get to some of those hard to reach places. So if any of you fellas arent that familiar with huntin Lake Sonoma or just want someone to hunt with let me know.
    WAR IS HELL... BUT PEACE IS F%*KING BORING!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEyeSoldier View Post
    Il be up at Lake Sonoma A LOT this year bow huntin for some hogs. I live in sonoma county and also have a boat that i like to out on the lake so i can get to some of those hard to reach places. So if any of you fellas arent that familiar with huntin Lake Sonoma or just want someone to hunt with let me know.
    I know LS some and have every other Friday off!
    He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" Matt 16:15

Thanks

Yes it is a depredation permit and if you use lights at night you need to let the local DFG office know and the local ranger.

CHAD PEZZLE is offline Member Moving Up In The World CHAD PEZZLE is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cheta View Post
    Yes it is a depredation permit and if you use lights at night you need to let the local DFG office know and the local ranger.
    Sorry to hi-jack your thread earlier. As far as pigs go at Cache Creek, I think they are pretty much nocturnal. I hunted there a few times and didn't see hardly any sign and most of it's old. Local DFG guys swear they are there but it's definitely like trying to find a needle in a hay stack. The wilderness area is hot and dry in the summer. Most of my hunting was during deer season so it's not exactly the best time of the season to hope to find pigs on public land. Come rainy season you might see more activity but there will also be a lot more options for them to get water from.

Chad

Thanks

My uncle got a big 'old' Boar from there during the dove season so there are there, but finding them is another story.

I know LS from the back of my head as that's my backyard lake and knows where the pigs are, but getting a shot at them is always a challenge. In fact, I was there last month camping and we had a vistor at our camp site! The dude just won't go away. He ate my two packages of my worms and destory my cooking pots! You might say too bad that it was not a hunting season, otherwise ......

Thanks

Pigs exist on Cache Creek WA. I'm still trying to figure out in what numbers though. Not the best hunting in the state, but you could get lucky. Try the eastern side of hwy 16, toward the northern boundary of the property. Also, concentrate on the far western side of the state-owned property, on the north side of hwy 20.

You could also try Indian Valley Wildlife Area, to the North of Cache Creek WA. It's little-known, but has good access and higher pig densities (from some reports I've heard).

-Marc

Thanks

DFG Bear- do you guys know how big the heard is that is int he Rumsey Guinda area? I hunt a private ranch there and have seen pigs in huge numbers on game camera and more sign than i can shake a stick at. Is there an accurate way to be able to judge population on private land?
    Last edited by cheta; 10-31-2010 at 10:29 AM.

Thanks

The pigs are there but Iíve never seen one. Iíve hunted there during some bad weather, boots filled with water, 5lb of mud stuck to each boot, but I did find some fresh tracks. I donít bow hunt in this area, I figure I would improve my luck with a rifle and I need as much luck as I can get. <FONT color=black><FONT face=Verdana><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
    A bunch of this
    <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Last edited by ko1featherweigh; 10-31-2010 at 02:35 PM.

Thanks

I got one two weeks ago up there but still trying to chase down a couple more...Check my other post for pics...

Thanks

Hey Cheta is there a lot of water on the ground in the cache creek area?
    NRA Member
    SCI Member

Thanks

Yes there has been a lot of water out, creek is up also.

Thanks

ko1featherweigh,

The tracks in your pic looks more like deer tracks. A pig track would have two duo-claws behind and reaching outside the two hooves. Like this one:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Cheta... If you need a hand or a "assistant" hunting i would be more than happy to help out. I am "in between" Jobs right know so i have all the time in the world.

Adam

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Live2hunt View Post
    ko1featherweigh,

The tracks in your pic looks more like deer tracks. A pig track would have two duo-claws behind and reaching outside the two hooves. Like this one:
    Thanks L2H, i guess i was fallowing the wrong tracks that day. Im still new at this Haha!
    What about the track with the leaf in it thats a pig right?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ko1featherweigh View Post
    Thanks L2H, i guess i was fallowing the wrong tracks that day. Im still new at this Haha!
    What about the track with the leaf in it thats a pig right?
    No duo-claws. I don't think it's a pig.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cheta View Post
    DFG Bear- do you guys know how big the heard is that is int he Rumsey Guinda area? I hunt a private ranch there and have seen pigs in huge numbers on game camera and more sign than i can shake a stick at. Is there an accurate way to be able to judge population on private land?
    I don't have any good data on that area. FYI-I monitor the population at a statewide level, and getting down to this small of a scale would not really benefit what I do for the department. But you can easily monitor trends on a local scale by running what us biologists call a transect. A transect is easily done by driving or walking an established route at the same time of day at regular intervals (weekly, monthly, yearly, etc) and counting all the animals you can see. Try not to count the same animals on the same day. You can then compare counts on a time basis (monthly, yearly) to obtain a trend. Instead of driving or walking, you can also do the same thing with trail cameras - just have them placed at the same spot, pointed in the same direction and running for the same amount of time each year. Try to place the cams in areas where you are not likely to capture the same sounders on multiple cameras, as that can bias your final number. Trail cams can be a bit more reliable since pigs will become more nocturnal with increased hunting pressure, and they may shy away from vehicles during the day. These counts will give you a number called "Minimum Known Alive," which can act as an index to the total population, because you are unlikely to count all the individuals (aka the entire population) in any meaningful area.

Thanks

Thanks, Trails cams seem to be the way to go then..

Thanks

I have spot lighted pigs in Texas.if you use regular light they will run. If you use red light they won't go anywhere.So get a red lens for your spotlight.I have used orange lens as well but they don't like it. Always use red.
    good luck

+ Reply to Thread