Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Huge Old Stone Sheep. World Record?

Thanks

Default Huge Old Stone Sheep. World Record?

So this old guy I know shot this monster Stone's Sheep in AK back in the 50's. Never had it scored or anything but to me it looks bigger than the B&C #1. Any pros out there have some input?

Here is a giant Dall's Sheep he also killed.

Thanks

Wow!!! Those are both very impressive. Thanks for the pictures.

Thanks

Wow! That top one is very impressive. That has to be the tightest curl I've ever seen. Can't believe he did not broom alot of that off. If these heads are on the up and up, they should be measured. Both are amazing rams.

Moose
    Every hunting season you miss is one you can never make up

Thanks

Those are both fantasic, magnificent rams. Your friend was very fortunate to encounter either of them, let alone both.

To answer your question, no that Stone Sheep will not score larger than the Chadwick Ram. The curls are way too tight to have the length needed to do that. I'm guessing these horns are in the 43-45" range, while the Chadwick Ram is the only ram ever officially measured that had horns over 50" in length. It has deep curls, which are necessary for a lot of length and real high score.

All of that takes nothing away from either of these rams. They're a heck of a lot bigger than most sheep hunters will ever see alive in the mountains, and I thank you for sharing these pictures.

Thanks

I would say its closer to 50" thanks for the photos.

Thanks

Here is a link to the story of the Chadwich Ram. You'll see it is visibly larger. The curls are much deeper and that is where rams that are over full curl gain so much length.

Our Greatest Trophy?

Thanks

Ya that Chadwick Ram is a monster, and a trophy that may never be topped. In my research I can't recall seeing any other Stone's ram that appears to come as close to it as the one I posted. Obviously it would be foolish to try to claim that the one I posted could be #1, #3, or #5. But I do think if scored it would rank right up there pretty high. The sad thing is the hunter is pushing 90 years old now, and he has no family that cares at all about his trophies. I hope they don't end up being thrown away when he passes.

Thanks

I have an idea for your friend. His sheep, both of them, are wonderful trophies. Why don't you talk to him and see if he'd donate them to the Boone and Crockett Club? That Stone Sheep is large enough that there's a good chance it would be displayed somewhere for the public to enjoy.

Another option would be the Wild Sheep Foundation (FNAWS) based out of Cody, Wyoming. They'd definitely honor that great ram with a display, I'm confident of that.

Thanks

Good info.

By the way, if your handle stands for De La Salle, congrats on another CIF State Title. I'm a huge highschool football junkie. I watched all the title games and the Spartans were very impressive as usual. Palo Alto's upset was awesome too. Way to go North... 4/5 is a great showing. My team (Carmel) just missed going to the DIII game again.

+ Reply to Thread