Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stoeger Model 2000 12 gauge semi-auto

Thanks

Default Stoeger Model 2000 12 gauge semi-auto

I have the opportunity to trade a Remington 870 20 gauge pump youth gun that we no longer use for the Stoeger mentioned in the title of this thread straight across. The person willing to trade it says they won it in a raffle and the gun has never had a round fired through it and is still in the box.

I already own two Benelli SBE's and love them and thought that this gun, even though only chambered for 3 inch, would be a good backup gun that might get used whereas the youth pump just sits in the safe making this a make sense trade.

However, after reading a thread on this site, and reading some consumer reviews of the gun online, it seems half the people love them and the other half call them terrible.

I would only complete the trade if the gun is reliable. This is obviously a newer model gun and not sure if the issues were associated with the older models and have subsequently been resolved by the manufacturer.

Looking for input as to this make and models reliability from folks who have had some experience or know of someone who has had some experience with this gun. Not interested in a gun with reliability issues right out of the box and some of the reviews have me concerned.

Thanks guys...

Thanks

The Stoeger is a lower end line of shotguns and as such will always be plagued with "issues". I've said this before; go to your nearest Sporting Clays course and see what those guys are shooting. I absolutely guarantee there won't be any Stoegers or Mossbergs on the line. You MIGHT see a Benelli, but what you WILL see are Berettas, Remingtons, Kolars, Krieghoffs, Perazzis etc. Sure, some of those are very expensive guns, but a Beretta 391 can be found for $900 or thereabout, and they are shooting right next to those $10K + shotguns.

Just my input.
    "The Sharps made the west safe for Winchesters."

Thanks

Agreed, but you might not see any Youth 870's either...

Just trying to determine if trading is a step forward or a step back...

Thanks

If it were me I'd put it up on Gunbroker and use the money toward something usable.
    "The Sharps made the west safe for Winchesters."

Thanks

My 2 cents, I bought a Stoeger 2000 new as I was waiting for a rem1100 that got sent late from an on-line auction and dove opener was coming up fast. I did a lot of reading and asking at a couple ranges and the Stoeger kept coming up. At Oak Tree they have some as rentals and have never had any problems with them and they get used every day. They also told me to go on shotgun world and find out how to set them up and get them broken in right so that they perform well. I did everything they suggested and have now had almost 1000 rounds through the gun and it has been a great gun. I have had 2 stove pipes and that's it. Both of those on reloads that were out of round and 25 years old. My favorite thing about the gun is that it is super light. I will probably sell the 1100 or maybe keep it as a backup. It is a beautiful classic gun but I just like swingging the feather-light stoeger better. I also like the kerchunk of the inertia drive. Also it is so simple that there are very few moving parts. Maybe I just don't know any better. I know I like the gun though...
    TU member
    Sierra Pacific Fly fishers Association
    DU member
    CWA member
    SCVQUWF (santa clarita valley quail upland wildlife federation)

It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

Thanks

I own a model 2000 and love the gun. Never had a problem until last weekend. I didn't lock-tite the screw that holds in the ejector assembly and I lost it. The part will be shipped to me quickly and free of charge. As far as I am concerned it is a great gun for the price and as long as you take care of it (and lock-tite that damn screw) you will be happy, even if it doesn't have a fancy name on the side of it.

ImaTeamRoper2 is offline Banned Moving Up In The World ImaTeamRoper2 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

put some regular stocks or sythetic that fit you and sell the jr.stocks.i like having my 20 gauge.just in case i have a newby ,they won't get so gun shy.or just shooting gamebirds with it when i need to be challenged.my 2 cents.

Thanks

I shoot a SBE2, but my nephew shoots the Stoeger 2000. It's a good handling gun that I wouldn't hesitate to have as a backup gun.He's had his for tree to four years without any problems. He probably puts 250-300 duck loads and 250 dove loads thru it a year. It might not hold up as well as a Benelli if your going to put thousands of rounds thru it ( clays etc.),but for the price a great value. If you don't make the trade tell your buddy I'll make him a deal on it.

Thanks

Default Stoeger

I think you are around the same value, money wise. If I was in your position I would make the trade. I've had a 2000 for about a year now and while not as nice as my Benelli. It's fine for backup duty.

My friend comes up from New Orleans often and he uses the Stoeger when we hunt rabbits on my land. I don't have a exact round count but I would guess around 250. No issues with it at all.

+ Reply to Thread