Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: howell island

Dermody15 is offline Member Moving Up In The World Dermody15
    Thanks

Howell island is really close to my house but i havent had much time to go hunt it. Has anyone hunted it and have any luck or see any deer? Is it worth hunting?

Thanks

I hunted there in the past pretty regularly and always seen deer, but the best spots I found were always farther than a person of sound mind should want to walk. I always walked in from the old parking lot across the causway plum to the other end of the island. I seen some real bruiser bucks back there but things never went my way. I know guys who put in the river at weldon springs and boat across to the island, but I was never verry fond of this idea. If I didn't have a lease in north missouri I would deffinitely be hunting there still. Hope this answers your question.
    P.S. one of the best bucks I have seen while bowhunting was on the island probably a 160 class at 18 yards when my treestsnd popped that was all she wrote, that was back in 93.

Thanks

im going to hunt there over x-mas break. I have no clue where to go are any good spots. Is there anywhere you would recemend form your past expereinces out there? The deer probly dont even go into the big field intill way after dark, i would think cause of all the hunting, are would it be a good idea to take my climber on the edge of the field. I have no clue, i would apreiciate any info you could give! Thanks, nate

p.s. where were you hunting when you saw that monster 18 yards from you?

Thanks

The big field is a good option That is where I always hunted but nearly to the verry back end of it. there used to be 2 points thst stuck out into the field from the left side if you were headed to the back of the island the second point was where I entered the woods at. After you get into the woods about 100 yards in it will drop down to a wide open flat that you can see for a long way. just on the other side of the open woods it turns into a big thicket (bedding area). I always used to set up on the edge of this and tried to play the wind right. This is where I seen the big one at he would have come home with me if it weren't for an old API treestand that popped when I was standing up to take the shot. I hope this gives you some help, it is a long walk but it was always worth it to me. Let me know how you do!

Thanks

Do you think this would be easy to find in the morning? Also, do you think i should stay on my stand the whole day or is it only a morning stand or a evening stand? Where there a lot of trees that a climber could get up. Man i am excited, i cant wait, my friends dad missed the biggest deer of his life at howell island. Im after my 1st deer with a bow, i dont care if its a doe or buck! Ill keep you updated on what i see. I would think that with all the hunting pressure the deer would steer clear of the field till night so 100 yards into the woods might be the staging area, it sounds like an awsome spot.

P.S.- do you see any turkeys out there? That would be awsome if i got a turkey, lol im pumped

Thanks

It's not bad to find in the dark the worst part is the walk it takes almost an hour. trees for climbers were pretty plentifull the last time I was there. the closer you can get to the thicket the better your chances of seeing a big deer peek out before dark sets in. The longer you can stay in the stand the better your chances are of seeing one. It seems people start moving around between 10 and 1 and this seems to get the deer moving although sometimes they are moving to fast. Good luck.

Thanks

Way back in the 70's an archery Pro Shop in Fenton (Six-Gold) had the lease on Howell's Island and we could join it for $35 a year. (the max allowed was 100 people, archery only, but I don't think it ever got near that. You had to use a boat to get over the slough and in those days, that stopped a lot of guys, including us, ha ha....

There were wild (feral) hogs running around the place and we were allowed 1 per year. I was wondering if there were still any hogs there or did they all get washed away in the floods?

Curious Tinhorn

Thanks

I've never seen or heard of anyone seeing any hogs there as long as I have hunted there. The biggest population of wild hogs seems to be around Ironton. I know several guys who hunt them down there and say they are all over the place. It's funny you mentioned Six Gold, Dorothy still owns Six Gold in Cape,but my buddy is going to take it over. He has already opened a new shop here in DeSoto and is doing verry well with it. The plan is to keep both shops open if at all possible. He is the one who actually first told me about jesses he had just browswed by and noticed the game cam page and told me to check it out the rest is history now I have to build cams for both of us.

Thanks

Encore,

I knew there was a couple who owned Six-Gold in Fenton but can't remember their names. The guy had a bow that was so heavy that I couldn't pull it back! when I tried, I remember saying out loud "Oh Lord" , ha ha. Myself and 2 buddies bought our Wing recurve bows there and we had pin sites installed, I was shooting my old bow instinctive. Can you believe it, in those days, us 3 were the only bowhunters I knew......

I've shot at a ProShop in De Soto a few times, in the small strip mall by the bank that was hit by a tornado several years ago and the Bank President was killed. I can't remember that guys name either (dumb membrain) but it was back in the late 80's.

Tinhorn

Thanks

His name was Roscoe Politte I knew him verry well he was a verry good guy who would do anything to help you out.

Thanks

I hunted the opener on howell in the woods near the a field close to the parking lot didnt see anything. Im going to go out there this sat. but i can only hunt the morning till like 1. Does anyone know of good morning spots to see deer out there?

Thanks

hunted out there tonight and saw three large does in field to far too shoot though, alot of other people out there said they have been seeing nice bucks. Im excited to keep hunting out there

Thanks

Sunday night i saw my 1st buck ever from the stand, then i missed it, i was so mad. It was a little 4pt buck but still had a nice body, it was bird dogin a couple does, looks like the rut is almost here. Every time ive gone out there ive seen at least 5 deer in my spot each time i love that place. Does anyone know if you can black poweder hunt there?

Thanks

Used to be able to but not sure about now, contact the conservation commission they should be able to tell you for sure. Did you ever make it back to the spot I told you about? I know of one really good buck taken from back there this year.

Thanks

Well i havent made it back there yet because ive had so much action in the front field. I cant wait this weekend looks like great weather they should be moving. I might go there sat morning cause thats the only time i can hunt on sat (football prac at 5:30) I just cant imagin carrying my treestand back that far, i might take my bike and a seat and just sit back there. You see much action in the moring in that spot when you hunted it?

P.S. if i go there all i really want to do is either see or get a shot at any deer(not just a monster), so do you think hunting inside the woods where you told me or hunting on the edge of that back field close to that spot would be better in the moring?

+ Reply to Thread