Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where to coyote hunt in Riverside area?

Thanks

Default Where to coyote hunt in Riverside area?

I live in moreno valley, ca in riverside county. I got into hunting about a year or so ago. I want to start coyote hunting. I am less than 15 minutes from Lake perris and san jacinto wildlife area and they are covered in coyotes. Both places allow shotgun hunting which is right up my alley, however they do not allow coyote hunting. I have asked a few people where else I can go but nobody will give me a straight answer. I know it is hard to find a good spot and keep it so I respect the fact that a lot of people wont pinpoint me where to go in fears of overcrowding their spots. All I am looking for is a general area to start. I normally hunt alone so I wont crowd your favorite spots. I just want a general idea or location to start with and I'll figure out the rest. I tried the BLM maps and hit joshua tree area but there were a ton of Private Property signs in areas that were marked as BLM on the maps. Not sure who is right. Trying to have fun and stay out of trouble. Please help.

Jeff

Thanks

why no coyote hunting in those areas...is it bird only...i know people who hunt deer with shotguns...

Thanks

San Jacinto may allow coyote hunting next year, we've asked the manager Scott and he's been trying to get it allowed there.

Stop and talk to the ranchers and farmer's to see if you can get permission to thin the coyotes there. There's plenty of NF land in the foothills around San Jacinto and over San bernardino that you can try. Head up north of 29 palms a bit toward Essex and the Mojave if you can.
    Jeff "Jesse" James - Owner of Jesse's Hunting & Outdoors

You can always tell who's in 2nd place by who's whining and crying the most. - Old hockey coach.

Dum spiramus tuebimur

Advertise on JHO / Fishing Guide/Outfitter reviews / Facebook - JHO / Gear Reviews / Home, Main Page / Hunting Guide/Outfitter Reviews / Links / Photo/Video Gallery / Sponsors / Twitter - Follow JHO / JHO Youtube Channel

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man, hated and scorned. When the cause succeeds, however, the timid join him... for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -Mark Twain

Thanks

HD has coyote hunting all around Hesperia and Victorville area's
    AKA "GATOR"
    I rule

Thanks

By whose authority do they do not allow coyote hunting? Sounds like BS to me. Only the DFG can impose such a restriction and they have not.
    Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000. The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Where's Bruce? View Post
    By whose authority do they do not allow coyote hunting? Sounds like BS to me. Only the DFG can impose such a restriction and they have not.

Hi Where's Bruce.

Jesses says that coyote hunting is not allowed.

And I have found out from my experience that different agencies have specific rules and regulations for the lands they administer. For example, military bases regulate the species hunted, and method of take, as do many other state wildlife areas, just like the San Jacinto Wildlife Area does.

It looks like you can only hunt quail, pheasants and waterfowl at the SJWA, and it's a shotgun only area. And during waterfowl season a hunter is only allowed to possess 25 shot shells while in the field.
    Here’s the link;
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com<o:p>http://www.dfg.ca.gov/lands/wa/regio...nto/index.html</o:p>
    Last edited by tony270; 09-01-2010 at 01:31 PM.

Thanks

I've also hunted rabbit in the SJWA area. I called them up beforehand just to make sure, and they confirmed that it was fine. They also enforced the 25 shotgun shell rule, however.

Thanks

Thanks for the help guys, and to correct myself I have spoken to scott also and he has let me hunt coyote a few times but it is hit and miss. I know for sure they don't want me out there now that birds are coming into season, however I was looking for something more consistent. Thanks.

Jeff

Thanks

Default I am just tossing out an idea-Cleveland National Forest

Have you looking into the Cleveland National Forest? Being that you are close, and it has Deer areas, it would seem to be available for Coyotes. I am going to call on them next week about Turkeys, but will check on Coyotes.

Thanks

so you wanna hunt yotes in so cal. thers plenty around so i wont be secretive with the spots. I keep killin em but they dont go away. there is some land off redlands blvd that borders the nature preserve that is still blm. you could go up by devore off of 138 which has a lot of nat forest land. keep in mind that anything northwest of the 15 and 10 interchange is lead free becuse of some condor i have never seen in 15 years of hunting up there. you could talk to the owners of four winds and see if you could work out somethin. also when san sevaine road opens off the 15 and sierra there is a whole crap load of coyotes in the low lands before you get up to the high country.

Thanks

I have some great advise for all the coyote hunters that want to ask for spots to hunt, because inevitably someone always names off one of their spots that also happens to be a spot I hunt. Learn the FIREARMS LAWS for a specific area, then do some driving around in that area, that's the real secret. If you find yourself in an area that allows for rifles as long as you have an absence of occupied structures for 300 yards then look for that spot! Everyone is always crowding to the nearest area that looks like something off of Randy Anderson's videos but the truth is that coyotes are more easily called in the spots that don't look perfect. Everyone wants a 500 yard panoramic for every stand, but a 25 yard alley in the middle of thick brush will probably get you a dog more often.
    Also, once someone names a spot, the spot is no longer good for more than another day. Someone always ends up messing it up with the beer drinking and target shooting that follows the one half a$$ stand they did... If it is obvious, it's already shot to hell.
    Good Luck!
    I'm sneaky enough to not need camo.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by studmanbri View Post
    I have some great advise for all the coyote hunters that want to ask for spots to hunt, because inevitably someone always names off one of their spots that also happens to be a spot I hunt. Learn the FIREARMS LAWS for a specific area, then do some driving around in that area, that's the real secret. If you find yourself in an area that allows for rifles as long as you have an absence of occupied structures for 300 yards then look for that spot! Everyone is always crowding to the nearest area that looks like something off of Randy Anderson's videos but the truth is that coyotes are more easily called in the spots that don't look perfect. Everyone wants a 500 yard panoramic for every stand, but a 25 yard alley in the middle of thick brush will probably get you a dog more often.
    Also, once someone names a spot, the spot is no longer good for more than another day. Someone always ends up messing it up with the beer drinking and target shooting that follows the one half a$$ stand they did... If it is obvious, it's already shot to hell.
    Good Luck!
    very true.. to be perfectly honest just about anywhere in so cal where you can legally shoot is capable of producing coyotes. I have killed just as many in spots where you wouldnt think were huntable as wide open areas. as far as spots getting ruined by people , i just dont see it , a good example is san j where over a hundread hunters shoot off about a million rounds a day two days a week and there are more damm coyotes than you can count. probably why the pheasant dont last long. as far as hunting san j for yotes, that depends who you ask and how you ask. i wont go into detail because i dont want to mention names or get people in trouble but in the past it has been within reach. also the beauty of coyote hunting is its low pressure, all about having a good time. if you want to be serious do 8-10 stands a day, if not go out to 2 or 3 and have a good time. a good call will bring them in almost anywhere.

Thanks

During deer season a couple weeks back I sat up against a boulder on a grassy hillside overlooking a canyon in CNF and a yote walked right by, 40 yards away. I wanted to pop him but was afraid of spooking the invisible mulies I was after. I've often thought of heading up there with a distress call and maybe a decoy. There's coyote scat all over CNF, that's for sure. They eat well up there.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eganfan View Post
    There's coyote scat all over CNF, that's for sure. They eat well up there.
    A lot of that scat up there belongs to the Kit Fox. The CNF has tons of those little buggers up there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://rockyhillriders.yolasite.com/
    A Sunday school teacher asked, "Johnny, do you think Noah did a lot of fishing when he was on the Ark ?"
    "No," replied Johnny. "How could he, with just two worms."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by QWAAKKILLR View Post
    so you wanna hunt yotes in so cal. thers plenty around so i wont be secretive with the spots. I keep killin em but they dont go away. there is some land off redlands blvd that borders the nature preserve that is still blm. you could go up by devore off of 138 which has a lot of nat forest land. keep in mind that anything northwest of the 15 and 10 interchange is lead free becuse of some condor i have never seen in 15 years of hunting up there. you could talk to the owners of four winds and see if you could work out somethin. also when san sevaine road opens off the 15 and sierra there is a whole crap load of coyotes in the low lands before you get up to the high country.
    Hello, I tried looking up the Devore location you were talking about, but I couldn't find one off of the 138, I found one off of the 215, in Devore Heights. I'm looking it up on Google maps and there's a lot of green around it. If you have a chance, type "Devore Rd, San Bernardino, CA" in Google maps, and that's what I'm talking about. Is that the right place?

Thanks

Default re:

I saw a huge Yote cross the road in front of me today just before the turn off to wildwood canyon rd off of Oak Glen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by .Kevin. View Post
    Hello, I tried looking up the Devore location you were talking about, but I couldn't find one off of the 138, I found one off of the 215, in Devore Heights. I'm looking it up on Google maps and there's a lot of green around it. If you have a chance, type "Devore Rd, San Bernardino, CA" in Google maps, and that's what I'm talking about. Is that the right place?

Try this map, after the map loads, use the scroll wheel to zoom into the area of interest, and then wait for the map to load again. The closer the zoom, the more street name will appear. The brown/tan colored land represents BLM land. Read the disclaimer at the bottom of the page. It looks like there’s some land close to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" /><st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">Santa Rosa Mine Road</st1:address></st1:Street> over near Perris, looks like <st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">El Nido Avenue</st1:address></st1:Street> has is the ticket. I would call BLM and ask them if that land has access, ask them if you can hunt birds or something like that, then ask about coyotes.

GeoCommunicator

Thanks

Default Re:

I was scouting around up highway 38 on the first fire road to the left just past mill creek ranger station a bit, and as you go up the road, there is another gate that goes off to the left up to a fire lookout or something like that.. anyways, the ridge to the SE of that gate is just loaded with scat. And there was tons of deer hair in it. The ridge drops down on the other side, and i wonder if it would be a good place to put a caller.

Thanks

There are tons of areas. I agree you should hunt the thick brush and chapparel with a shotgun or a rifle with a VERY low power scope. Look for the small openings and shooting lanes. Keep the gun up and be ready. I use a 1.5-5x20 and on 1.5 x you can keep both eyes open which helps. I just got a shotgun for predators it should be sweet. brush really holds your sound down. You can begin to call and have one burst out just 20 feet from you that you had no clue was there.

There are coyote all over. The closer to houses and people the more dogs you finds. Also if you find the rabbits you find the dogs. Having a shotgun with lead free will open up a whole bunch more options to hunt too.

Just work the NF and desert areas. dont' give up.

a 4x4 really helps get you out there.

Oh and don't crap your shorts when the cougar or bear shows up to your stand in the heavy cover. Its bound to happen if you spend enough time calling the chapparel and NF around here. CNF in particular is loaded with cats.

Watch Coming to the call part 3 "calling in the thick stuff"
    People who hug trees shouldn't live in wooden houses!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by QWAAKKILLR View Post

whats the name of that nature preserve you were talking about in the first part? Or whats the name of that land? me and my buddies are planning a coyote hunt coming up and we want to camp out as well...know any good spots for that?

Thanks

Shoot me a p.m. and ill share a spot in between both of our houses. Sorry so late but these eggsuckers killed all the quail, the cats, and the cottontails that used to thrive in my area. mangy flea bitten mutts.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lab&Citori525 View Post
    Shoot me a p.m. and ill share a spot in between both of our houses. Sorry so late but these eggsuckers killed all the quail, the cats, and the cottontails that used to thrive in my area. mangy flea bitten mutts.
    Got one of my dogs last week, too. Hoped right over my fence in broad daylight, scooped her up, and off it went, before I could do anything about it. Kill them all.

Thanks

Anyone know a good place for coyote hunting? I have been to San Felipe WA in the Cleveland National Forest, also Camp Cady Wa and Afton Canyon up past Barstow, nothing each time. Got a few 22 LR's and I'm trying to ease my boys into hunting, beginning with small game. Planning to scout D11 zone this weekend near the five interstate and 138. Any help would be great. Thx!

Thanks

I suggest that you hit the washes and run up some jacks. I have videos that show how to do it posted on my youtube channel. Almost any wash will hold jackrabbits. The jackrabbits that are in the washes that are farther out that have not been hunted much and will hold them in place longer than the washes that have been hunted. You will also find quail and cottontails spots hunting jacks like that.

And you have to be an expert or very luck to stop a coyote with a 22 LR round. I use a 22-250 or 12 gage shotgun with #4 buck shot (Remington Express 3" Magnums), I have stopped them with the 17hmr but most run away never to be found.

You can see my favorite coyote rifle in this short 3 minute target shooting video at this link, you can also find my how to rabbit hunting videos on my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7EhnmEY6ys

This is the link to the Geocommunicator Site, it depicts BLM land but, but you should always cross check the information against a USGS paper quadrangle map:

http://www.geocommunicator.gov/blmMap/Map.jsp?MAP=LAND

This is the only link that I know about that depicts the shooting areas in Riverside County, and thanks goes to Ed8756 at Cal Guns for this Map:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

This is the link for the San Bernardino County Recreational Shooting Map:

http://www.specialdistricts.org/modules/showdocument.aspx?documentid=306
    http://www.specialdistricts.org/modules/showdocument.aspx?documentid=307

You can order the SBC paper map at this link:

http://www.specialdistricts.org/index.aspx?page=172

Quote Originally Posted by MHN View Post
    Anyone know a good place for coyote hunting? I have been to San Felipe WA in the Cleveland National Forest, also Camp Cady Wa and Afton Canyon up past Barstow, nothing each time. Got a few 22 LR's and I'm trying to ease my boys into hunting, beginning with small game. Planning to scout D11 zone this weekend near the five interstate and 138. Any help would be great. Thx!
    Last edited by tony270; Yesterday at 08:18 AM.

+ Reply to Thread