Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone ever hunt hogs around Hensly Lake

Thanks

Default Anyone ever hunt hogs around Hensly Lake

Just got done looking at the website for Hensley lake between Madera and Coarsegold. It says hunting is allowed there, but only with shotgun and bow which is sweet. It list all kind of game thats found in the area but it says nothing about pigs, but i know they are all over about ten miles north off the lake and the terrain to the north is exactly the same as it is around the lake im sure they are there and im going to go scout Thursday after weather clears hopefully find some sign in the mud.

So im just wondering has anyone ever hunted that area. The parking lot at the trail heads were full of vehicles during spring turkey season. So anyone ever seen any pigs out there? Thanks

Thanks

To answer your question yes there are hogs up by the lake. However most are on private property I shot this young boar last saturday on a friends ranch about 5 miles from the lake. Good luck!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

hey thanks that gave me a little inspiration i am going down there thursday for sure. nice pig what did u get it with?

Thanks

You are now going to be joined by about 1,000 hunters after your post!!

Thanks

1,000 is a little steep... Besides the few who do read this will be from Jho and i would have a great time meeting them. I dont plan on making it my spot anyways ill hunt it 2-3 times and move on. Dont have high hopes the areas that we are allowed to hunt are very small, odds are even if i get a shot off with the bow it will probably make it private property before it goes down.

Thanks

My brother goes fishing there a lot, and he's seen tracks, but never any pigs. He's actually zero'd down to where they're coming from, and wants me to go try my luck, but he's got a lot more free time than I do.
    "ab ovo usque ad mala"

Thanks

there are pigs around there but far and few apart

Thanks

I worked there for 3+ years, scouted and hunted it alot, pigs are around, they come to get water from the lake when things are dry. It seems like most activity is in the middle of the night. The east side of the lake has a lot of Mtn Bike riders, especially on weekends, try and go in the middle of the week if you can.

Good Luck ...

Thanks

hey thanks for all the help guys ill give it a shot weather was crap yesterday and some relatives are up from so cal but maybe ill get out tuesday of next week its supposed to rain monday so maybe theyll be moving around tuesday evening. ill let u all know what i see.

Thanks

So i am going out to hensly today and just found out that my hunting partners brother has property out there that boarders henslys public land so we are going to give it a shot. While talking to him he told me his neighbor has a ranch out there with 100% Russian boars (or Eurasian whatever people wanna call them) anyways he had 200 imported and has ben breeding them ever since so now the mission is to see if any of them have escaped onto the public land, he also has some species of imported sheep and is opening a hunting outfit in the near future.

Thanks

your partners brother wouldnt be a taxi would he'

Thanks

i am trying to find a few good guys to hunt that area with myself just trying to get a hog "under my belt " so to speak any advice ??

Thanks

There are pigs in the area for sure. I hunt a private property near coarsegold a couple of times a year to "help" my wifes cousin control the damage. It is only 250 acres but it holds the main water source in the area. I am such a giver

Thanks

I know that areas got pork...I lived south of the lake and loved the area.

DISCLAIMER: some of the things I say may be unfiltered, offensive, or even complete B.S.

Thanks

All pigs there are on private properties and once in a hot blue moon they will come and drink from the late. I have hunted deer and turkey on both sides of the lake and I will say that you have a much better chance.of seeing a buck then you will a pig.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by huntingbret View Post
    All pigs there are on private properties and once in a hot blue moon they will come and drink from the late. I have hunted deer and turkey on both sides of the lake and I will say that you have a much better chance.of seeing a buck then you will a pig.
    I always see more bucks than pigs anywhere I hunt. that is probably explained by the huge difference in their populations

Thanks

I wonder why that is, especially when pigs can have anywhere from 5-15 piglets in a litter. As for deer, a female can only have up to two. Is it because pigs have no size limit, no sex limitation, or quantity limit at all?

Thanks

Their nature, year around seasons, eradication efforts and suitable habitat just to name a few. Ranchers see pigs and have them removed one way or another.

Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by cali-carnivore View Post
    There are pigs in the area for sure. I hunt a private property near coarsegold a couple of times a year to "help" my wifes cousin control the damage. It is only 250 acres but it holds the main water source in the area. I am such a giver
    I woul really like to hunt the area your speaking of!! I'm willing to help do some labor or pay a Lil $$ if your willing to help out another Pi hunter

Thanks

Hmmm me too.....I'm only a short drive away. :-)

Thanks

So if anybody is up
    To hunt hogs in That area please txt (559-477-3166) or email me @ rob_v_5150@yahoo.com thanks again .... And I'll help the property owners with any labor or whatever need done .

Thanks

My wife has two unmarried sisters. This is the second time I married into a private hunting spot.

+ Reply to Thread