Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hunter Arms Company - The Fulton

D3-5, Grizzly Island and various other outdoor locations
    Thanks

Default Hunter Arms Company - The Fulton

Need some help researching a shotgun I just bought today.

It is a Hunter Arms Company 16 Gauge side by side shotgun. The serial number is 26747.

It is aged but still very functional.

The previous owner thinks her dad bought it in the 50's or 60's but did not have any further information.

Looking for anyone that might know how old this gun is.
    "Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid." - John Wayne

Thanks

Cancel my request. I just found it on the web. It was made in 1948.

Any guys in the bay area know a good place I can take it to have the value estimated?

Thanks

I'll give you $10.00 for it!
    Society in any state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil. T. Paine

I am old enough to remember when this really was the land of the free. CS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense View Post
    I'll give you $10.00 for it!
    Can't do it for $10...maybe for $20

I found a great website for these guns. Lots of information.

The L.C. Smith Collectors Association

After I posted that it was from 1948, I found that the same serial numbers were used in 1920.

The cool part is that the metal receiver has a checker pattern in the metal. The only guns I could find on the web witht the checkered pattern were made in 1920. It appears to be a very rare pattern. The website indicates that the checker pattern was never listed in their catalogue so I am not sure if they were custom ordered that way or not. I did confirm that the checker pattern was original from the factory, it is just rare. I only found one other gun like it on the web and it was being sold for $1900.00. The only difference was that it was a 12 gauge. I found several others in the same gauge as mine in various conditions and the prices ranged from $250 to $1400. I have no idea where mine will fall but figure it will be at the lower end.

This gun has a lot of patina and the outside metal does have that aged look where the metal has turned a bit off color, kind of a brown color. The inside of the barrels are in perfect working order and the ejectors seem to be in good working order.

The website gives excellent instructions for restoring the nice sheen and color to the outside of the barrells and receiver. It is actually very simple.

I am going to take it to my gun smith tomorrow to see if I should just leave the aged look as is or if I should clean it up some. I am also going to have him inspect it and confirm the ammunition suggestions that I found on the web site.

I got the shotgun and an old smith and wesson .38 special for $150 total. For both guns. Not a bad deal for two guns both in good working order. The relative I got these from doesn't hunt or shoot. They were her fathers and he did both. She wanted the guns to go to someone who would use them like he did.

With my 11 year old (turning 12 in August) I needed to get a gun for her so she can start shooting quail and deer. Since I can not afford both a rifle and shot gun this year, she is going to use this gun for both. She is going to go for a deer with a rifled slug out of this gun and when she connects, she will be able to hunt quail and grouse the rest of the week. She is very excited.

Once the gun smith gives it a clean bill of health, we will start going to the range to work on shooting those slugs.

Thanks

DB be really careful with ammo for this gun. Todays high pressure loads can cause some serious damage and or injuries. I'm sure you know this and have looked into it but get second, third and fourth opinions so to speak before firing off some slugs. BTW I'll give you $100.00 for the S&W.........

bux-n-dux
    "But just so we're reminded of the ones who are held back, up front their oughta be a Man in Black."
    -Johnny Cash February 26, 1932 September 12, 2003.

"You guys call each other from the duck blind? Man, times sure have changed."
    -My Father

If that ain't country, I'll kiss your ass.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bux-n-dux View Post
    DB be really careful with ammo for this gun. Todays high pressure loads can cause some serious damage and or injuries. I'm sure you know this and have looked into it but get second, third and fourth opinions so to speak before firing off some slugs. BTW I'll give you $100.00 for the S&W.........

bux-n-dux
    Thanks for the advice. I took it to one gun smith today and it reminded me of why I don't do any business at all in his shop. He just acts like he doesn't give a dern.

I told him I bought two guns for 150 dollars and wanted to see what I had. Before I could tell him I would like some help dating the pieces and maybe a little more info, he picked up the pistol, checked it out, says, "this is a hundred dollar pistol".

Then he picks up the shotgun, breaks it down in about 3 seconds flat and puts it back together and says, "dude, you got a 100 dollar shotgun..."

So I said, "then I got a good deal..." and he says, yeah, "if you can afford to shoot it" and he began to walk away.

At that point, I didn't even feel like getting into the specifics of chamber size and specifics on ammo. I printed out some information from the website regarding ammo specs and was going to ask him to order some for me but since he seemed so disinterested, I decided not to even ask. I was also going to have him do the paperwork on the pistol. I asked him the cost and then he seemed to have time for me. After he told me the cost, I just decided to leave. Didn't really feel welcome there.

I had already planned to go to a few places to have the guns inspected and to get a ball park value. I will do the purchase and the transfer paperwork at the shop that seems more interested in helping a fellow gun owner.

Safety is also a big concern so I will talk about that with the other shops just to make sure that the specs on the ammo are within safe limits.

I am interested in selling the pistol but you might want to look at it first. It is definitely a used gun. I thought it would be worth $150 but I think $100 is fair. I will let you decide. I will post some pics and I will let you know what the other gunsmiths say about it. If I keep it, I am going to take off the grips that are on it and put on more traditional wood grain grips on it. The ones that are there are a little too flashy for my tastes.

Thanks

Here are some pics of both guns. My camera takes horrible close ups so I apologize that they are so blury. I will try to take some later with my neighbor's camera. They will be better quality.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

I could not see where you said if the barrels were steel or Damascus? If they are Damascus, it should not be fired with modern shells but if they are steel and the barrels lock up tight it should be alright. I have half a dozen old LC smiths (Hunter arms) guns that I regularly shoot with modern light (trap) loads. LC's are well built and were proofed to the highest loads of the day. I have some that were built pre-1898 (and a Hammer 10 Gauge) that shoot well. I don't shoot heavy loads but steel barrels are safe. It can be difficult to find 16 gauge target loads. There isn't a lot for a gunsmith to look at on the gun, Obvious things like lockup, cracked or loose barrels. Firing pins, holes and cracks in the receiver, stock condition. 16 gauges can be built on 12 or 20 gauge frames. The 20 gauge frame guns can have thin barrels but the 12 gauge frame guns are stronger than with 12 gauge barrels.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
    I could not see where you said if the barrels were steel or Damascus? If they are Damascus, it should not be fired with modern shells but if they are steel and the barrels lock up tight it should be alright.
    To be honest, I don't know how to tell the difference. I can't say I have ever seen a damascus barrell. These appear to be steel, and yes it definitely locks up tight. How can I tell if steel or not?

I just spoke to an expert from Southern California. Great gentleman. He was 80 years young and an LC Smith Gun Expert.

He advised he has never heard of the pattern on the side of the receiver plate.

I told him of this collector's association website. They confirmed for me today that it was in fact made in 1920. They also had a picture of another one from that year with the pattern.

I also told him that the research on this site indicates that the pattern was never listed in their catalogue.

He was befuddled. He said in all his years he has never seen that pattern. He said the lack of any grade mark inidicates it is a field grade gun but field grade receiver plates were smooth, not engraved.

That is why I love old guns...there is always a mystery and a story.

I am going to the Old West Gun Room tomorrow to see what they say when they inspect it. Hopefully it will be ok to shoot with. I really want to hunt with this gun.

Thanks

Here is a link to the LC Smith Collector's Association web chronolgy of guns from 1920.

If you scroll down the list of photos to the third row from the bottom, you will find a picture of another one with the same etched receiver as mine.

PictureTrail: Online Photo Sharing, Social Network, Image Hosting, Online Photo Albums

Thanks

Got the info I wanted today over at the Old West Gun Room.

I found that the gun is chambered for 2.5 inch shot shells.

The owner of the shop checked the chamber and advised that this gun is fine to shoot led shot shells through.

He advised that English Shot Shells are the way to go and gave me contact information for a company out of Montana that will ship them. I contacted them when I got home and ordered a case of shells (250 shells) for $99. That too is cheaper than all of the cases of 2 3/4" shells I have found so I am happy.

He advised against slugs because modern slugs will have too much pressure. He said keep the gun isolated to shooting birds with the English ammo and we will be fine.

I like Old West because they always steer me right and it doesn't cost me anything to get good advice.

I can't wait to get on some quail with my daughter and this old gun. We are going to have fun!

Love those antique guns!!!
    Last edited by db 183; 03-02-2010 at 07:32 PM.

Thanks

Sent you an email about the pistol.

Thanks

DB-

I sent you an email about the .38 as well. Dibs dude.

bux-n-dux
    "But just so we're reminded of the ones who are held back, up front their oughta be a Man in Black."
    -Johnny Cash February 26, 1932 September 12, 2003.

"You guys call each other from the duck blind? Man, times sure have changed."
    -My Father

If that ain't country, I'll kiss your ass.

Thanks

bux-n-dux

We both loose. It goes to the his kids.

+ Reply to Thread