Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Deer Cocaine

Thanks

I had a guy at work who swears by this stuff. He says that he and his son first tried it last year. They mixed it in a 5 gallon bucket and made a mock scrape with a rake and poured it in. He says that the bucks just tear it up. This year his sone checked the mock scrapes, and told him that the deer had it dug down at least 6" and 5-6' in width. He told his son to get another bag of it and pour it in before gun season starts. Anyone familliar with this stuff? Is this just a tale of tales?

Thanks

True! I used the little block with the powder mixed with water on top to start it off. I set it out in Aug and already have about a 6" deep hole that's about 12" round where the block WAS. I have already had to put out a new block. I used the powder and water mix to start it off as directed by the block instructions.

bowhuntrrl is offline Member Moving Up In The World bowhuntrrl
    Thanks

A few years ago, we put some of this out in May. Went back to replenish in early July. There was a 3-4' area dug up about 12" deep. Put more of it down and came back again at the end of August. There was a hole big enough to bury a Volkswagen bug !! I'm up in New England and it seems to depend where you put it. I've tried it in other places with no results or interest whatsoever. The place we had it work was deep in the woods, in hemlock and soft , rich soil. The other 2 places we tried it were near highways. There was tons of deer sign, but I think they could get the salt from the road aprons, since Massachusetts uses tons of salt in the winter. Hope this helps.

bowhuntr

Thanks

We used another brand, but with the same concept. One hole is 5-6' in dia. and about 1 1/2' deep. we just put in a 50 lb. mineral block about once a year to keep it going. Several others we have are just mineral block-started and work just as well, but not as big. Throw a few apples in the hole and watch the show while you're in your treestand. Run the small bucks off so they don't eat all the apples and let the does be your buck bait.
    We aim to please. You aim too,please.

No one is worthless. They can always be used as a bad example.

Thanks

Deer cocaine realy works great. I put out the powder cocaine then I pour the liquid cocaine over that, kinda like giving them a double dose and it works great. Ive got some holes that are about 5 fet wide and about 10 inches deep. Hogs also love that stuff. Ive got a pic of one of my holes, ill try to post it later.
    ###Hook'em Horns

Kahuna is offline Member Moving Up In The World Kahuna
    Thanks

well apparently this stuff works! so what is it exactly? is this a food source or just an attractant? whats it made of?

redfish is offline Member Norman New Guy/Gal redfish
    Thanks

I have heard that all that stuff is, is a mixture of salt and other minerals. I got a recipe for a mineral lick from Whitetails.com.
    You can make a couple hundred pounds of it for cheap.

Thanks

I dont have a bag aroud to look at its contents, but it is basicaly just salt and minerals. After the salt and minerals get in the dirt, the deer eat and lick the dirt. It seems to last a long time too.
    ###Hook'em Horns

Thanks

I put a block out and it melted in over time with little notice from the deer. Sweetened it up with the powder/water mix and then the deer found it. In the last 6-8 months it's gone from a 12" diameter clear spot on the ground to a 5'-0" diameter area that is 8 to 10" deep in spots. I hung a cam over it for a while and got both bucks and does using it. I'll say it works, but it took a bit to get started..

MB

Thanks

Well, there are some positive responses on this stuff afterall. I talked to someone else yesterday and he told me to save my money and just buy a bag of softener salt and put it out. He said that the more expensive stuff has minerals in it to promote antler growth, but at this time of year it wont do any good anyway. So I will rob the softener salt from the basement and hand till it in with a new rake. I cant use the apples in missouri, it is considered baiting where salt is not.

Thanks

Here is a pic of what the deer and hogs did to the deer cocaine.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/564503.../56450481HjwSQw
    ###Hook'em Horns

SCORPION is offline Member Moving Up In The World SCORPION
    Thanks

Belive it or not I heard deer cocaine containes ephedrine which is also the main ingredient in Meth. Maybe we have "tweeked out " deer running around. I do know it works for deer that is .
    PETA THE LOWEST FORM OF LIFE

mi-hunter is offline Member Moving Up In The World mi-hunter
    Thanks

Arrow

Well before I read this post i hadn't tried it ,but after reading this i did and yes it did work it looked liked i had hogs in there.I had deer almost running to it when they came in i could not believe what i was seeing.two yearlings came in while the doe stayed out.when the doe left, 15 min behide her came in the bruiser.which is now going to get scored 11 pt with 12 1/2" tines and a main beam of 7 1/2" circumference,19 1/2 outside spread .

Bald Eagle is offline No Longer A Member Kiss The Ring Bald Eagle
    Thanks

I've never used it but I have been following this thread and will try it as soon as I can.

We need to keep this thread going and see if we can determine exactly what's in it. I'm sure that once we determine the ingredients and quantities we will be able to make the stuff ourselves for 1/10 the store price.

Thanks

I happen to have a block of it in my possession. I was gonna put it out by my feeder in my backyard but forgot to this fall. Heres the ingredients per the package:

Sodium Carbonate
    Salt
    Mineral Oil
    Calcium Stearate
    Monosodium Glutamate
    Natural & Artificial Sweeteners

Guaranteed Analysis:
    Salt (NaCI), Minimum.........50%
    Salt (NaCI), Maximum........50%
    Sodium(Na), Minimum........50%
    Sodium(Na), Maximum.......50%

Soooo............looks like Salt and Sodium(baking soda?) at a 50/50 mix. I'd be very careful though as sometimes these companies have no regard for the animals and therefore we have no way of knowing if this stuff can hurt the animals.

PLEASE DON'T EXPERIMENT WITH YOUR OWN BREW UNLESS YOU REALLY KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING AS I'M SURE THE WRONG MIXTURE COULD BE FATAL TO A DEER. AT THE VERY LEAST IT COULD CAUSE UNDO SUFFERING FOR THE ANIMAL, REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE ANIMAL IS.

Bull_16 is offline Member Moving Up In The World Bull_16
    Thanks

Ya i put some out last year and they dug a hole about 6 ft wide and about 6-8 inches deep i put the block down they coated it with the liquid and add some powder about every month or 2 every animal seems to liek it i have seen everything from bear to chipmunk in it

HollisMSU2002 is offline Member Moving Up In The World HollisMSU2002
    Thanks

yes, i have had similar results. your local co-op could probably assist you with two products to mix. I'm not exactly sure which ones they are, yet it is a lot cheaper to buy these products and mix them.

i'll get back to this about what too mix....

sorry this has little information

Thanks

Thumbs up

It sounds like this really works, but where do you find this to buy it ? Sounds like a brown mineral block would do the same thing, but that does not have the sodium in it. Where did you folks pick this stuff up ?
    Hunt Safe, Hunt Smart, Hunt Often

Thanks

I bought some of that a few years ago never put it out, Wally World I think.
    I will get it out in the woods this weekend!
    Support Our Troops
    http://www.operationac.com/
    http://www.operationwecare.com/
    Help our wounded troops
    http://woundedwarriorproject.org
    Rene'

My pics and cams

Pine Tree Cross

Do you know what the word FAMILY means?
    FAMILY = (F)ATHER (A)ND (M)OTHER (I) (L)OVE (Y)OU

Thanks

I have taken a mineral block and smashed it into powder, I added softener salt and put it in a 2 1/2 gallon jug with water. I let it set for a week and raked the dirt in the woods down to about 3". I pored the solution in the soil. The deer have been hitting it consistantly, the scrape is twice as deep and twice as big in circumferance.

HollisMSU2002 is offline Member Moving Up In The World HollisMSU2002
    Thanks

I am sure that some of you use Salt Blocks. A cheaper and effective method is to buy mineral salt at a Co-op. Simply clear the ground and pour some of it out. Deer love stuff like this.

Thanks

I am glad to hear some folks are having good luck with it. As for me, I have tried Deer Cocaine several times always with little or no good results. The first time I tried it, the deer (and coons) hit it pretty hard and made a big hole in the ground. That lasted maybe a month and then they ignored it from then on. Every other time I have used it, they have pretty much ignored it.

Last year, I decided to try an experiment. I scraped a shallow depression in the ground and poured in TWO mixtures of deer cocaine. About thirty yards away, I made a similar depression in the ground and poured in a mixture of homebrew stuff that consisted of dissolved table salt, baking powder, baking soda, trace minerals, and several small bottles of cheap molasses. The result?

The deer cocaine was largely untouched except for some coon tracks and one deer track. The deer track was pointed toward the homebrew lick. Where I had poured the homemade concoction on the ground there was now a hole approximately ten inches deep and about four foot in diameter.

It took a while for the deer to discover both licks, but they are still hitting the homemade lick regularly. The deer cocaine site has now grown up with weeds.
    Thank you for reading my post!

Don is offline Member Allowed To Sit On The 1st Rung Don
    Thanks

Hey Welby,

Would you mind sharing the ratio for the components of your homebrew attractant?

Thanks

ohhhhhh Boy...I can see it now... The wifes gonna be takng a shower and wonder whats up with the water softner... And there I'll be in the workshop mixing up a Homebrew blend with the softner salt, her baking soda and baking powder... For all those giving me these Ideas..

You got a spare bedroom handy? Looks like I'll be sleeping outdoors here shortly!!!

Why not I'll give it a try...

Nino is offline Member Knows The Secret Handshake Nino
    Thanks

I've done some 'xsperimentin behind my house with salt etc. Deer never really messed with a salt "block" so if you use a block version break it up. They definetly will hit the deer cocaine. I'm more interested in it as a supplement rather than an attractant for hunting season. As far as I know, to really benefit the deer the time to put this stuff out is in the spring when does with younguns and bucks growing antlers need the minerals. I figure this way I benefit by helping the deer and also I know where they hang out when hunting season comes around. You can also check out southern states or a feed place and try cow minerals.
    In God We Trust
    Land of the Free, Home of the Brave - Let's keep it that way!

Thanks

I'm sure you guys know this, but let me toss it out anyway...

Check your regs. Some states that allow baiting do NOT allow the use of mineral licks.

Read carefully. Hunt ethically.
    He has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct... Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience rather than a mob of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact.
    Aldo Leopold

Thanks

There of course is a difference between HUNTING over minerals and using them to provide nutrition for deer.As said above the spring is when the deer will and can utilize these minerals in growth.A mineral lick can be mantained year round but where its colder up north they will pretty much ignore it after the ground freezes.The deer cocaine is more of an attractant with baking soda and salt but no phosphorous or magnesium for antler growth.They are good spring to early fall gathering and photo spots but winter finds them holes full of snow.

woods

+ Reply to Thread