Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G3 GOODALE LATE SEASON HUNT

Thanks

Default G3 GOODALE LATE SEASON HUNT

I HAVE A OPEN ZONE DEER TAG AND PLAN TOO HUNT G3 GOODALE.
    I WILL BE DOING SOME PRESCOUTING,IN LATE NOVEMBER.
    DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS WERE TO START MY SCOUTING.ELEVATION,AREA,ETC?

THANKS JON C

Thanks

I'm interested in responses to this question for another reason. I hunt quail in this area (my 2nd year) and was wondering where the deer hunting is concentrated as I don't want to bugger up someones deer hunt.
    If God didn't want us to eat animals...how come He made them out of meat?

Take a kid hunting and fishing...they'll show you how to use your electronics !!!

D8hntr is offline Member Knows The Secret Handshake D8hntr is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Open zone, I'd hunt G6.

Thanks

jccrowley. I dont know really know what a open zone tag is. is that a special tag you can buy? if it were me I would really do my research and hunt G3. it's a hunt of a life time. I would spend as much time up there as I could. use the seach on this site it will help. I know the guys at macs in bishop know alot about it. wow!! im super jealous! GOOD LUCK!! hold out for a toad.
    No destination is the destination of the undesignated but he who wonders with purpose has no purpose to wonder

Thanks

With an Open Tag did you even think to try the G39 hunt area? That's where the bigger deer are lately on the Eastern Sierra's. Most of the large ones I have seen taken in the last 4 years have come from there. G3 is all about the opportunity of seeing lots of deer. Ok Quality. You will kill a 4x4 23" wide, but that is about it, every year or so one 170 class will come from there. Any drainage out of that area will have bucks. G39 seems to produce numerous deer in and around the 170+ range. Hopefully one of the boys from 3M will back what I am saying. They guide that area and say there are good deer there but the clients pics they have on there site always seems to be deer from G39 or the Youth G39-J11 hunt. Just my 2 cents. Kurt
    Kurt

What is success? "Success is when practice meets opportunity"
    My son Brock's Quote--when he was 6: "Hey, Brock, where are all the deer at," Brock said, " The deer are where you find 'em Dad"

Thanks

G39's done and you have to have a apprentice license to hunt J12. So don't do those...But I might consider actually hunting Anderson flat thy week before Goodale rather than scout Goodale, depending on how much time I had, especially if we get lots of snow early....

Seriously, how high sort of depends on the weather. Some drier years not all the bucks it over the top and are still in the park. But there's always bucks low, they are looking for does. The bucks are rutting, moving, and looking for does, something new could show up in a bunch of does every day.

Haven't heard anything about 3M lately and don't think I saw their name on the current CA registered guide list.

Have fun....

pcalder is offline Member Norman New Guy/Gal pcalder
    Thanks

G3 must have gone down hill since o6 if you shoot any thing short of 26'' you screwed up check division creek if you have a quad take the old road up to the mine,try onion valley, tabous ckeek,pray for snow, and give your ammo to
    your buddy so you will not shoot the first 24'' you see the warden are everywhere

Thanks

I am curious about an "open tag" as well? Can you give some details about that tag.

Thanks

DFG gives out some (5 lately) "Open Zone" tags that allow the winning bidder at the fundraiser cause to hunt any open deer under the rules of that hunt (method, age restrictions, etc...) Most of the Open Zone deer hunters end up in Goodale. I think winning bids have been in the $9K-$10K range thgis year. I think it's tax deductible. DFG gets the money for wildlife programs.

There are a couple of "Golden Opportunity" deer tags too, allowing you to hunt any public land open to hunting, or private you can get permission on for the whole year, no seasons. Those usually go for like double the Open Zone winning bids.

You can get the list of orginizations who auction the tags early in the year from DFG.

Thanks

Dawg, I was just asking why he didn't do the G39 hunt. That would have been an option of mine if given the open zone tag. Anderson 2nd, M3, then G3 if all else failed. Golden Op is the better tag and you could find some real winners come late December/January.
    Kurt

What is success? "Success is when practice meets opportunity"
    My son Brock's Quote--when he was 6: "Hey, Brock, where are all the deer at," Brock said, " The deer are where you find 'em Dad"

Thanks

well I have not seen any post from jerky lately. but if I had that kinda money to spend on a tag. I think I would spend some more and hire those guys. they live local and spent all there free time scouting. and have proven time and time again there worth it. jerky where are you? lets here some storys and see some pics.. please!
    No destination is the destination of the undesignated but he who wonders with purpose has no purpose to wonder

Thanks

feel free to email me - winchester270fan at yahoo dot com and I'll tell you what i know, can't share over open forum.

Thanks

I wonder if you can hunt the jr round valley hunt. Years ago you could with an open zone tag. Thats the best hunt going right now for big bucks.

Thanks

If you can do the jr Round Valley hunt, that would be the ticket. If you can't there is still great opportunity in G-3 if they get some good snow. Watch the forecast and hold off till the last days if you think there could be more weather. If the snow is up high, Shingle Mill bench, or up high at Shepard creek or Baxter pass where you can't see from road. Hike back off onion valley or actually anywhere and you should see deer. Just have to be patient and enjoy passing on beautiful bucks. They always see nice bucks after the season is over. Go for two weeks solid and don't shoot one the first week would be my advice. Take pictures and enjoy yourself. I saw a big old double brow tined toad down in the thick stuff along Taboose Creek quail hunting one year too. Spotting scope can hunt big areas in that country. Look for them catching the first sun in the morning and the last at night if it's cold. Last advice... again...don't shoot unless it's your dream buck or the last two days of season, and I doubt you will have any regrets. Good luck.

Thanks

Chap Dog, missed a word. Sorry it sounded that way.

And, no you can't hunt the junior (Apprentice) hunts on an open zone tag unless you are a junior.

Honestly, I think nearly 40 tags (35 plus most of the Open Zone tags) is too many for a late season rut hunt like Goodale. That could be why quality has slipped a bit lately, don't remember when they upped it from 25. Round Valley has 10 JR tags, 5 November tags. Most Round Valley bucks don't have a park to stay in during the regular season. But big bucks are especially vulnurable during the rut.

What you really want is a once every few years storm that drives the last straggling big bucks that normally don't get hunted out of the park and down....

Get this, I know a guy who has the Goodale tag and his son has the Round Valley JR tag, same season dates. He'll be a busy guy come December...Almost too much good stuff! Almost.

Thanks

not to sound all rude or anything, i can see why california raises the number of tags in g-3,same way they raise prices every year on tag and licenses, its all about revenue for the state, conservation has gone to crap in this state,thats just my opinion.

Thanks

CA could surely improve their conservation, but the number of bucks in that area during G-3 tells me they are not shooting too many. The Park deer do not get hunted until this hunt. It would be nice to figure out a way to shoot some of the 3x3 gene passers though.

Thanks

Don't know how it worked out, but UT tried a "Management " buck hunt on some of it's primo hunts, like Henry Mtns. and Pansagunt. Can't shoot one with more than three on one side was their rule. Seems like a good way to allow more people to experience the hunt while improving top end trophy potential too...But again, don't know how it worked out, this was the first year.

Honestly, shooting just a nice four year old 26" 4x4 a year or two away from being really big the worst thing you can do if you want really big ones around. Course, that's big enough to make most hunters very happy, and management tradeoffs for public resources have to consider everyone, not just the hard core trophy hunter.

AimHigh is offline Member Allowed To Sit On The 1st Rung AimHigh is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Is it too late for the Doyle Muzzleloader?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AimHigh View Post
    Nov 21-29 does this help ? :)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AimHigh View Post
    With the weather we are getting here in Truckee right now and Doyle Muzzleloader opening tomorrow, I think I know where I would be going with an open tag.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Litch View Post
    With the weather we are getting here in Truckee right now and Doyle Muzzleloader opening tomorrow, I think I know where I would be going with an open tag.
    Litch, I talked to my son in Portola today, and I would jump on a plane right now to use an open tag for that Doyle hunt. Lot's of of Booners comin down into long valley about right now.
    NAHC- Life Member
    BASS- Life Member
    NRA- Member
    MAPMS- Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by D3Lifer View Post
    Litch, I talked to my son in Portola today, and I would jump on a plane right now to use an open tag for that Doyle hunt. Lot's of of Booners comin down into long valley about right now.
    You got that right, the Dixie Refuge is emptying out as we speak. Hopefully some lucky hunter gets a bomber Buck on his way to the Winter range.

Thanks

Default G3 HOTSPOTS

SAY PARDNER, SCOUTING MIGHT BE A WAIST OF VALUABLE TIME, DONT KNOW WHAT AMOUNT OF TIME YOU HAVE FOR THIS HUNT, IF I COULD I WOULD TAKE SCOUTING DAYS AND TURN THEM INTO HUNTING DAYS,

MY LIFE LONG HUNTING PARTNER BOUGHT A TAG IN 04 AND 05, I SPENT TIME THIER JUST TO LOOK IN O6 AND 08, AND A FRIEND DREW A TAG IN THE GENERAL DRAW IN 09, HAVE'NT BEEN BACK SINCE THEN, EACH TIME I SAW SEVERAL IN THE 30 PLUS RANGE,

ONION VALLEY, TABOUS, DIVISION, AND TRY THE FISH HATCHERY ROAD, AROUND THE STAGING AREA NEAR THE TRAILHEAD,

THE ROAD WAS WASHED OUT IN 09, COULD NOT GET MY BUDDY TO GIVE IT A TRY, AND IT DID NOT APPEAR ANYBODY ELSE GAVE IT ONE EITHER,

NOT ALL THE PREMIUM WILL TAGS WILL BE THIER, SOME WILL BE FILLED BY THEN, AS WELL SOME OF THE GENERAL DRAW TAGS WONT SHOW, CAN'T GET OFF FROM WORK, SICK, DID'NT CARE ENOUGH TO GO,

SOME WILL SHOOT THE FIRST GOOD BUCK TO COME ALONG, SOME WONT LEAVE THE ROAD, SOME JUST CAN'T SPOT DEER, IN 04 WE DIRECTED A FELLOW TO A MEDIOM 4X4, HE WAS ON HIS WAY HOME, HE COULD NOT FIND A DEER, HE WAS SURROUNDED AND DID NOT KNOW IT, HE DROVE BY THIS ONE AT LEAST TWICE WHEN HE INCOUNTERED HIM,

THE LAVA FLOWS AROUND TABOUS AND DIVISION ARE OVERLOOKED, I HUNTED COYOTES THIER WHILE MY BUDDY WORKED HIS WAY DOWN THE RIDGES, NEVER WALKED MORE THAN A COUPLE HUNDRED YARDS, INTO THEM, BUT EACH TIME I SAW MANY DEER, IT WOULD BE TOUGH HUNTING, A REAL ANKLE TURNER,

ONION VALLEY SEEMS TO HOLD MORE DEER THAN THE OTHERS, THE DEER SEEM TO COME THROUGH AND HOLD ABOUT HALF WAY UP, THIS COULD CHANGE IN REALLY BAD WEATHER, THE MIND ROAD AT THE HORSESHOE BEND, THIER IS A PARKING AERA THIER, IT IS GATED OFF, I WOULD WALK THIS ROAD, I DID SEVERAL TIMES, MOST TIMES I SAW GOOD BUCKS, AND NO OTHER HUNTERS, NOT MUCH COVER ALONG THIER, A QUAD MIGHT SPOKE DEER, BUT A MOUNTAIN BIKE MIGHT COME IN HANDY THE ROAD IS LONG,

AN INTERESTING OBSERVATION ALONG THIS ROAD, MOST TIMES A DRIVE UP ONION WOULD PERDUCE 3 TO 4 DOZEN DEER, MORE BUCKS THAN DOES, YET EACH TIME 3 TO 4 TIMES A DAY WHEN JUST LOOKING, WE ALMOST NEVER SAW THE SAME BUCK TWICE, JUST SITTING ALONG THE ROAD IN SEVERAL OF THE TURN OUTS COULD PRODUCE THE BUCK YOUR LOOKING FOR,

GOOGLE EARTH WILL GIVE YOU A GOOD LOOK AT THE TERRAIN, THIS COULD PROVE TO BE A GOOD INVESTMENT OF YOUR TIME

SHOTS CAN BE LONG BE LONG IF YOUR UP TO IT, A GOOD RANGEFINDER WILL BE HANDY,

MOST LIKELY MORE NONE HUNTERS WILL BE AROUND THAN HUNTERS, THE DEER ARE GOING TO BE AROUND ANY OF THE MOUNTAIN PASS'S,THIS IS KEY,

SCOUTING WHILE ALWAYS A BENEFIT FOR ANY HUNT, IS WORTH WHILE, EVEN IN G3, THIS ZONE IS NOT ALL THE BIG, 22 MILES AT ITS LONGEST POINT, I THINK?, NOT A WHOLE LOT OF ROADS, ANY GOOD 4BY WILL HANDLE MOST OF THEM,THE ROAD UP TO THE MIND AT TABOUS IS THE WORST I HAVE TAKEN A QUAD UP THIS, A SPILL HERE COULD BE FATAL,

IN 05, 33 IN 7 BY 9 WAS TAKEN UP THIS ROAD, THE HUNTER SPOOKED IT OUT OF THE ASPEN POCKET AT THE BOTTOM, THE HUNTER TOOK HIS FORERUNNER UP THIS ROAD TO GET ABOVE THE SPOKED BUCK, HE AND HIS PARTNER WATCHED IT BED DOWN ON THE SIDE OF THE MOUNTAIN, BY RADIO HIS PARTNER GUIDED HIM TO THE BUCK, WITCH HE PUT DOWN, HE THEN DROVE HIS JEEP WRANGLER UP TO HIM, I WOULD NOT BUT IT COULD BE DONE BACK THEN, I THIERD MEMBER OF THE PARTY WAS ON THE RADIO AND WATCHING THRU A SPOTTING SCOPE, SO WE GOT TO HEAR TO STORY OF THE TAPE,

MY POINT HERE IS THE ZONE IS EASY TO COVER BY CAR, ONE SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET THE LOCATION OF THE HERD BY CAFEFULL GLASSING AND CHECKING THE THE MOUNTAIN PASSES, A DAY OR TWO BEFOR THE SEASON SHOULD BE ENOUGH,

50 TO 100 DEER A DAY SHOULD BE THE NORM, WITH AT LEAST HALF BEING BUCKS AND MOST OF THEM BEING SHOOTERS IN EVERY OTHER ZONE IN THE STATE, EACH TIME I SAW MORE THAN A FEW 30 PLUS INCH FORK HORNS, THIS IS SOMETHING TO KEEP IN MIND WHEN LOOKING AT THE SOUTH END OF A NORTH BOUND BUCK, PERSONALY I THINK A 30 IN FORK HORN WOULD LOOK GOOD ON MY WALL. ALTHOUGH A 4X4 OR BIGGER WOULD TO, HOPE THIS IS HELPFULL, GOOD LUCK! BRET

Thanks

I just found out i got g-3 now what? how far should i sight my gun in at ? where should i go to hunt ,where to stay?

Thanks

There's a number of campgrounds right in the zone if you're a camper. I personally like Taboose Creek. if you're looking for a motel, you can stay in Independence or Big Pine or even Bishop. As far as where to hunt, the whole hunt zone is not that big. If there's enough snow, the deer will be down in the flats. If not, you may have to go up in the mountains a ways. If your real serious, there's at least one local guy who guides for that hunt. Don't remember his name but you can probably get his name from the sporting goods store in Bishop. Congrats on drawing the tag. If something comes up and you can't use it, be happy to take it off your hands.

Thanks

Go play the lottery! Luck is on your side.....quite a draw, good luck to ya!
    An archer tries to see how far away he can get from his target and still connect. A bow hunter tries to see how close he can get to his.

Thanks

thanks for the info, I dont go on forums at all ,so it takes me alittle time to figure how to use them, my gun is sighted in at 100 yards would you say that would be alright for that hunt, or 200 yards 7mag?

Thanks

Any drainage in the unit can produce a monster buck, sight in for 300 yards and practice. A lot!! Good luck.

nitis is offline Member Allowed To Sit On The 1st Rung nitis is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

2" high at 100 yards should be point and shoot to darn near 300. Anything more than that put the crosshairs on his back and squeeze

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast