Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Big boar in San Diego

Thanks

Default Big boar in San Diego

The cat is out of the bag!!! Some of us knew where the pigs were now the whole world knows. I'm sure it was a mad house this past weekend.

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="http://digg.com/tools/diggthis.js"></SCRIPT><IFRAME height=80 src="http://digg.com/tools/diggthis.php?u=http%3A//www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/oct/09/hunter-bags-his-first-county-8216oinker8217/%3Fsports/outdoors%26zIndex%3D179749&t=Hunter%20bags%20his%2 0first%20county%20%27oinker%27%20-%20SignOnSanDiego.com" frameBorder=0 width=52 scrolling=no></IFRAME>
    Outdoors

Hunter bags his first county 'oinker'

By Ed Zieralski
    Union-Tribune Staff Writer
    2:00 a.m. October 9, 2009
    John Ogle poses with the 241-pound boar he shot with his daughter's rifle north of El Capitan Reservoir this week. -

For the first time, a hunter has gone public with evidence of a successful hog hunt north of El Capitan Reservoir.
    It has been nearly three years since a herd of domesticated pigs was released into the San Diego backcountry from a pen on the Capitan Grande Indian Reservation, which straddles the San Diego River north of the reservoir.
    The Union-Tribune and the state Department of Fish & Game were told the hogs were released in order to start a hunting program on Indian land, where tribes have their own game laws.
    Last year, bass fisherman John Cassidy produced a photo of a herd of pigs rooting along the El Capitan shoreline. There have been unconfirmed reports of the animals being shot by archers and rifle hunters behind the city of San Diego-owned reservoir. The hunting stories were believable, but there were never any photos.
    That changed this week when a wild pig was shot by John Ogle, an avid and accomplished hunter. Judging by the location along the San Diego River where Ogle shot the hog, the animals are expanding their range. Julian residents may soon spot these invaders in their apple orchards and vineyards.
    Ogle, who has hunted wild pigs throughout California, shot a 241-pound boar while hunting deer on public land along the edge of the San Diego River canyon, east of Ramona. Ogle was bow-hunting during the archery-only season when he heard noises he had never heard in that area.
    “They sounded very much like pig grunts and a squeal,” Ogle said. “There are private ranches and farms on the other side of the canyon, so I assumed I was hearing a domesticated pig from across the canyon. I blew it off and concentrated on filling my (archery) tag.”
    Ogle was focused on two bucks he spotted earlier when he saw the bucks were staring at something.
    “Lowering the binoculars, I scanned the hillside and noticed several dark-colored animals jogging away,” Ogle said. “At first I thought they were coyotes. They were out past 250 yards. But when I got a good look, I could hardly believe my eyes. There in front of me were four wild pigs running around on the rim of the canyon.”
    Ogle knew his bow wouldn't do the job on this hunt, so he returned to his vehicle and swapped his bow for his daughter's rifle.
    “I was now on a mission to bag my first San Diego County oinker,” Ogle said. “I was in a momentary state of shock. I've hunted San Diego County for 38 years and I've never seen a wild pig here before. Every year I buy a pig tag to fill somewhere up north.”
    Ogle said when he returned, the pigs were feeding away from him toward a rocky ledge. Two of them quickly dropped out of his view. Ogle decided to take a shot at the biggest of the four as it jogged toward the rocks. All he saw was a big cloud of dust as the pig disappeared into tall grass. He hustled over to see if he'd hit it, and there it was, his first San Diego County wild pig.
    Ogle said he was surprised at how big the wild hog turned out to be. It weighed 241 pounds when he took it to a butcher for processing. Ogle said he blew out a shoulder trying to lift it into his pickup and had to use ratchet straps tied to his roll bar to hoist the animal into his vehicle.
    The boar is a European strain and sported 1¾-inch tusks and a 15-inch tail, Ogle said.
    Hunters wishing to go after wild pigs in San Diego County need a resident hunting license ($41.20) and a pig tag ($19.70). There is no limit to the number of pig tags a hunter may buy. The state sells more than 40,000 pig tags per year.
    “Over the years I've taken California feral hogs in Santa Margarita, Tehachapi, Tejon Ranch and Catalina Island,” Ogle said. “I never dreamed I'd harvest one in San Diego County, and my biggest pig ever. He's already at the taxidermist's shop.”
    Union-Tribune
    Ed Zieralski: (619) 293-1225;
    <!--endclickprintinclude-->
    Related Terms: Ramona, San Diego County

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>function CheckComments(){ if ($.cookie('stop_comments')) { var stop_comments = $.cookie('stop_comments'); if (stop_comments == 'True'){ $("#disqus_comments").hide(); $("#comments_message").empty(); $("You have chosen not to display comments.

Click here to display comments").appendTo("#comments_message"); }else{ $("#disqus_comments").show(); $("#comments_message").empty(); $("Click here to hide comments").appendTo("#comments_message"); } }else{ $("#comments_message").empty(); $("Click here to hide comments").appendTo("#comments_message"); }}/** * DisableComments Disables comments for the site based on a cookie, Disable does the opposite. */function DisableComments(){ $.cookie('stop_comments', 'True', { path: '/' }); CheckComments();}function EnableComments(){ $.cookie('stop_comments',null, { path: '/' }); $.cookie('stop_comments', 'False', { path: '/' }); CheckComments();}jQuery(document).ready(function() { CheckComments();});</SCRIPT>
    I was planning a backpack hunting trip for deer in this area but now I'll wait it out a little longer to let the road hunters get their fill.
    <!-- clear -->

Thanks

Well, considering that the UT ran an article last year with a herd of 30 on the shoreline, including a 150 pounder, I don't think it took too much to figure out where they were... :)

You'll get the yahoos that will give it a try, and have little success. I bet there'll be more incidental pigs shot during the deer season, than there will be from people actually targeting them.....

heck, I've got both tags.....

Thanks

Damn I guess the secrets out. It was'nt too bad but I'm sure there are going to be more hogs taken. I suppose I can post a pic up from my two hogs since its not a secret any more!
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in every language.

Thanks

Heres an up date:

Outdoors Report

Wild pig seen in Cuyamacas

By Ed Zieralski
    Union-Tribune Staff Writer
    2:00 a.m. October 13, 2009
    Online: Ed Zieralski's weekly Hunting/Fishing Report at uniontrib.com/sports/outdoors

<!-- /inline-content -->
    <!-- /text-inline -->It didn't take long for another report of a wild pig sighting in the county's backwoods.
    This one, though, likely is still alive.
    Willard Lepley, the former supervising ranger at Lake Cuyamaca, said he saw what appeared to be a wild pig on the southwest side of the lake, where Boulder Creek-Azalea Creek cross state Route 79, near the hairpin turn and pullout and parking area. Lepley said he saw it about three weeks ago but didn't report it until he saw Friday's report in the Union-Tribune of Descanso-based hunter John Ogle's harvest of a 241-pound wild boar in the San Diego River canyon east of Ramona. Lepley's sighting puts the pigs significantly east of where Ogle shot his wild pig.
    “I knew it was a pig once the shock wore off,” Lepley said.
    Lepley said the wild pig was crossing the meadow and was heading for Lake Cuyamaca. However, Georgia Martin, current supervisor and general manager at Lake Cuyamaca, said no one has reported any pig sightings.
    “I find it really difficult to believe that those pigs have made it this far up,” Martin said. “There is so much area ripe and pristine down behind El Capitan to keep them down there.”
    Martin said the wild pigs likely would have to travel through her family's ranch, the Milk Ranch, to get to the lake.
    “If they come through our place, they're dead meat,” she said. “Why drive to Tejon Ranch to shoot one when we have them coming to us right here?”
    Meantime, more details about Ogle's hunt have emerged. A lot has been made about him having a rifle in his vehicle during an archery hunt. It's unlawful to carry a firearm when archery hunting, but there's no law against having a rifle in a vehicle when archery hunting.
    Also, Ogle has access to a private ranch in the Ramona area that allows him to reach public land to the east of the ranch. That's how he was able to return to his vehicle so quickly after spotting the wild hogs in the San Diego River basin.
    Ogle's story has ranchers in the backcountry along the San Diego River basin on full alert for these destructive pigs, which were released in late 2006 on the Capitan Grande Indian Reservation behind El Capitan Reservoir.
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in every language.

Thanks

Oh my gosh.........hogs in lush green San Diego County with the plentiful reservoirs and lakes.........Those hogs are going to multiply like rabbits.........er...like pigs I should say.
    We used to go to Julian a lot........and I always wondered......what if a bunch of wild hogs suddenly took residence in the San Diego County hills full of luscious shrubs and green grass......and the springs, ponds, reservoirs, lakes, stock animal water troughs etc. are plentiful. This is certainly a recipe for wild hogs expanding, spreading throughout the hills of San Diego County. Also, there are a number of Indian Reservations dotted throughout San Diego County......so eradication might not be possible since the Indian Reservations might just want a very viable herd of wild hogs for their own hunting enjoyment as in the Capitan Grande Indian Reservation. All in all.....this is not good for the native flora and fauna of San Diego County..........but the horse is already out of the barn and there is nothing to do now but to hunt these delicious critters since they are there already. WOW!!!!!!!!Amazinng!!!!
    'Nuff said
    larrysogla

Thanks

I've seen two pics of huge Boars taken out of there so far this year. Cats out of the bag.
    “If we quit when we’re in the valley, we’ll never experience the view from the mountain top.”

Thanks

John Ogle's harvest of a 241-pound wild boar
    Is that the right picture for that statement? Or did they mean to say 241-pound John Ogle poses with his wild boar?
    "Except For Ending Slavery, Fascism, Nazism, and Communism, WAR has Never Solved Anything"

Thanks

Im just worried about hunting out there now and having all of these roadhunters everywhere in those areas. Everyone has known about the pigs theyve just stayed on the indian reservations for the most part so people havent seen much of them

Thanks

this may be a dumb ? but does anyone have any more specifics of where behind El Cap these beasts are at?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by superduty View Post
    Is that the right picture for that statement? Or did they mean to say 241-pound John Ogle poses with his wild boar?
    241 combined together...
    from the looks of the picture it has not been gutted..... And I've seen some heafty boars in my life and that has to be wrong!!!

Anywhooo! congrats!!! on the boar Mr. John Ogle.

Thanks

http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/attachments/hog-javelina-hunting/51935d1231141230-jho-new-year-s-fhl-hunt-fhl_hunt_002.jpg
    Here's my pig from Jan JHO hunt for you to compare.
    180 lbs gutted, you add 20lbs 200lb guestimate.
    Last edited by XDHUNTER; 10-16-2009 at 05:49 PM.

Thanks

I agree that the wieght is wrong. I would say closer to 200 or less. Either way he did good and congrates to the lucky hunter.
    “If we quit when we’re in the valley, we’ll never experience the view from the mountain top.”

+ Reply to Thread