Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why you don't let little kids shoot big guns. Tragedy

Thanks

Default Why you don't let little kids shoot big guns. Tragedy

I see many dads who want junior to "Be a Man" and shoot dad's gun when junior is WAY to young for this BS. If you see this nonsense please step up and say something before the kid gets hurt or when he falls down with the gun after the shot he shoots someone else.

A warning in case someone is as dumb as my brother in law. - Calguns.net

More of this stupidity. Notice the muzzle control after the shot.
    <object width="425" height="344">
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kvSdWC2Ssno&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kvSdWC2Ssno&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gvxt3uyBXEw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>
    Jeff "Jesse" James - Owner of Jesse's Hunting & Outdoors

You can always tell who's in 2nd place by who's whining and crying the most. - Old hockey coach.

Dum spiramus tuebimur

Advertise on JHO / Fishing Guide/Outfitter reviews / Facebook - JHO / Gear Reviews / Home, Main Page / Hunting Guide/Outfitter Reviews / Links / Photo/Video Gallery / Sponsors / Twitter - Follow JHO / JHO Youtube Channel

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man, hated and scorned. When the cause succeeds, however, the timid join him... for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -Mark Twain

Thanks

You can't start children shooting firearms too soon. But as Clint Eastwood says, "You gotta know your limitations".

Before my son was strong enough to hold a .22 rifle horizontal enough to shoot straight, he was harvesting cottontails by using a rest. He used my grandad's old single shot; and I gave him one bullet at a time, after the rabbit was spotted and the gun was in place.

For his fifth birthday, my grandson got to shoot his cricket(as small single shot .22). But only with good supervision of my son who kept all the ammo.

You need to start them young; but start them small.
    Society in any state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil. T. Paine

I am old enough to remember when this really was the land of the free. CS

Thanks

That second vid is just too scary. You can hear the adults scream right before the video stops
    Mick

dlovato is offline Member Moving Up In The World dlovato is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Ugg....

Getting kids shooting soon - is good. Having the gun they are shooting for the first time being "too much" for them - is bad.

Think BB gun to start with.... Then move up from there as they grow/mature...

Just my humble opinion. Both my kids 15 and 16 right now, shoot .300 weatherby's and have for about 2-3 years, but I worked them up to that in baby steps as they showed they could handle the firearm and showed competency/safety with smaller arms. The kid in the video didn't have a good rest, was out of a natural shooting position, etc - the parent should have thought some more.... Not the kids fault - you can't pick your parents.

- Darryl

Thanks

Seems a lot of gun aficionados out there have never seen an exposed hammer on a shotgun (judging from responses to original thread).
    If God didn't want us to eat animals...how come He made them out of meat?

Take a kid hunting and fishing...they'll show you how to use your electronics !!!

Thanks

My son plinks with a 10/22...but hunts with a Henry lever gun so I can see if the hammer is back or not. The rule is - if he cocks the gun, it gets shot. The hammer is otherwise down on an empty case or an empty chamber. Just what works for me....

faith is offline Member Knows The Secret Handshake faith is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Sure looks like a single shot shotgun to me, with that exposed hammer on top. I hope it is! That would at least make a second shot impossible.
    That big headed Queen "off with his head"- Alice in Wonderland

Thanks

I just feel so sick to my stomach, after reading the orignal post and ESPECIALLY watching that second vid...man I crapped myself just watching that. A barrel at you, single shot, auto loader, pump, O/U doesnt matter at the VERY LEAST it's so un safe and I wouldnt want my child to develop any poor firearm habits. Even when actions are open or broke, don't point weapons at anything you dont intead to kill, its just unsafe practice and horrible habit. All I know if I was that kid in the second vid, I would have got an ear full then a good woopin, then probably not shot for a long while.

Thanks

Man that could have turned ugly quick... please, please use extra caution and common sense..

Thanks

My four year old shot his first 22 yesterday. It took him about 10 shots to get the hang of it but after that he nailed 8 clays stood up about 15 yards away in a row. I was so proud. And boy, I would have killed for my dad to take me shooting period, let alone at 4 years old.

But I had him on my lap with the weight of the gun in my hands, he just pointed and pulled the trigger when I said it was OK

Thanks

Good going Fugaloo. Couple of weeks ago my son's family came up to the cabin. He let my five year old grandson shoot the .22 (while sitting in daddy's lap). Before they left he asked the grandson if he wanted to shoot again. My grandson said, "Yes, but this time lets shoot some animals, maybe a elk or something."
    Society in any state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil. T. Paine

Thanks

My boys all started with BB guns. From there I moved up to .22 for them, but my oldest has a mental issue, so he wont' shoot. It overwhelms him. I bought him a single shot 410, but he won't shoot it. He just feels cool owning it, and showing it to my hunting friends every few months.

My 9 year old is amazing with his .22. He knows it and is good with it. He is getting a 20 gauge for Christmas this year, but will only get one shell at a time for a long time. He has passed the hunter's safety course already and is Jonesing for some duck or goose or maybe rabbit. We'll see.

Please be careful everyone. They are weapons.
    If you want to help someone learn to hunt.... call me!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FoCoHugh View Post
    My 9 year old is amazing with his .22. He knows it and is good with it. He is getting a 20 gauge for Christmas this year, but will only get one shell at a time for a long time. He has passed the hunter's safety course already and is Jonesing for some duck or goose or maybe rabbit. We'll see.

Got my grandson a 20 gauge 870 when he was ten. Took him quail hunting a few times the year before. He used a .410 and I carried all the ammo but one shell. He only got 6 or 7 birds all year, and my hand was on his back every time he shot. Next year he didn't do much better, cause he just wouldn't shoot --- he would just stand there and watch them fly off. It seems without me patting him on the back, he was afraid to shoot! He's thirteen now, and I trust him chasing birds; even if we get split up running down a broken up covey.

Thanks

Wow! Those Videos are scary! I have an 8 year old that has been shooting for a while with me! He's due to take my Hunter Education Class in March. He's dying so bad for the upcoming dove season. The key to hunting with juniors is.... #1 You can't hunt yourself on a junior hunt! Your a mentor, dont even take your shotgun! #2 Make sure your in a safe place to control the weapon or assist your junior with any malfunctions or decisions! #3 If your junior isnt mature enough to shoulder the weapon on his own, load and unload it safely and follow oral instructions in the field precisely, he shouldnt have the gun in his hands on a hunt yet!

They have just as much fun being in the field with us even if they dont get to shoot! Remember, thats the time you have their full attention, use it your advantage! You can teach them to hunt now, or hunt for them later! The choice is yours!

Knock em' down and Line em' up!

Thanks

I'm really glad that kid is wearing hearing protection.

Thanks

I ran a shooting match that we had annually with our churches mens group. We had it as an event that first time shooters, and their kids, could come out to and get some experience shooting. We supplied rifles, pistols (single action) and shotguns and ran a 'for fun and bragging' competition using a .223.
    One dad brought his son, 8, and his 270 Weatherby mag. He then showed the son how to use it, gave him a box of ammo and left. This kid was getting knocked around, the muzzle was going everywhere. I was there and was able to reach over his head and stop him before he swept half the shooting line. This same dad came out to one of our mens ministry pheasant hunts..with the son age 9 or 10 now. Gave him a 12guage and let him go. The kid took a shot at a bird and proceeded to spin around and point the semi auto shotgun right at my friends crotch.

Needless to say, the dad got a major speaking too and they were both banned from any of our gun events again.

I have had my kids shooting since age 5 ( both won a BB gun match and won Red Ryders at ages 5 and 7). I was taken many of my kids friends shooting sporting clays, rifles and pistols and teach about 1/2 hour of safety before they can touch a gun. Then I stand over them to do barrel control if needed. All the kids are now upper teens and they all are very safe gun handlers. A few have gone on to get their dads into shooting and even hunting.

I'd suggest that we go to the youtube page and suggest that this dad grow a brain or get rid of his guns before someone gets killed.
    Proverbs 12:27 The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MThomas88 View Post
    You can teach them to hunt now, or hunt for them later! The choice is yours!

Amen.

Thanks

My Daughter is 8 and I started taking her shooting she shoots a Anschutz woodchucker that I got when I was 8 and I only allow her to put one bullet in the gun at a time! Its the most accurate 22 I've ever seen in a youth model!
    MY RIGHT TO OWN A GUN, IS YOUR RIGHT TO HAVE A OPINION ABOUT IT!

+ Reply to Thread