Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tilapia at Salton Sea

Thanks

Default Tilapia at Salton Sea

I took Jim Matthews advice of the hottest fishing spots of the week and went to Salton Sea yesterday. Eventhough it was brezzy with cool temperatures my 4 person party pulled a total of 83 Tilapia. I caught 36 myself all in about 5 hours. We even caught about 20 of them over 1 pound. Great time great fun and great to eat.
    Introduce our youth to the outdoors

Thanks

Is there any bank fishing out there? What sort of bait or lure do you use for talapia?
    When I found the skull in the woods, the first thing I did was call the police. But then I got curious about it. I picked it up, and started wondering who this person was, and why he had deer horns. - Jack Handey

Thanks

we used to catch the talipia on silver and gold hopkin spoons when we used to fish for the corvina. Seen lots of people catch them on nightcrawlers.

Thanks

Most of the people I've seen use nightcrawlers. The jetty at the state park is very popular. But you might also try the jetty at the yacht club a mile from the park. It's hardly used at all and there's no charge to use the area. FYI: the yacht club will begin renovation in a little over a month and should be open by November. While its primary function will be as a community center, I will be operating a small museum and visitor center there also. I'm hoping to get some donated pictures of fishing from the 50s to 80s when 30+ pound corvina were being caught along with croaker and sargo. The high salinity levels have devastated spawning so we don't know if there's any corvina left in the lake or not.

Thanks

I've always wanted to go there for the feeding frenzy but the drive down there is just too far.

Thanks

Bret,

Imagine your bluegill fishing, the fish are nailing anything you toss in front of them. Only instead of a palm sized fish bending your rod, imagine one the side of a dinner plate about 3 inches wide. Now imagine pulling in fish after fish that size. Fish that school in the tens of thousands that way (or at least used to).

I still recall a spring break in the mid 80s when three of us kept only tilapia over 2 lbs and we ended up quitting after an hour only because we had close to 30 of them that size in the boat. There were pthers that were literally filling their boats with fish.

If you can find a JHOr that knows how to get in on them at the right time it would be worth a trip down to try it once. And keep the gear on the light side. A 1 lb tilapia on 4 lb test and an ultralight rod is a real challenge. And tilapia from the those waters are some of the best tasting fish around.
    Judge Gideon J. Tucker, wrote in a 1866 ruling that "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session."

Thanks

Congrats on the fishing trip sounds like a blast...............
    Life Time Member NAHC
    University of Phoenix Alumni
    NRA Member
    Gulf War Veteran

Monte :)

Thanks

I fish the state park side of hwy 111. The fish was biting on peices of night crawlers on the bottom. I had two size 6 hooks on with the weight on the bottom and 5 different times I caught 2 at a time. There are alot of rocks out there so you will lose ur set up. but hte fishing was excellent
    Introduce our youth to the outdoors

Thanks

Good old salton sea to bad they are going to let it go to waste bye bye

Thanks

Default Tilapia recipes

Hey Guys, Couple quick ????? I've heard many different stories about how much the Salton Sea is polluted or was so badly polluted. I was wondering if this is still the case? Does anybody have any knowledge about this? Also I would love to catch and eat them if it is okay, so therefore I need a good recipe for them. Are they just panfried like bluegills/sunfish? Thanks in advance for all the info.

WoodGrain

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WoodGrain View Post
    Hey Guys, Couple quick ????? I've heard many different stories about how much the Salton Sea is polluted or was so badly polluted. I was wondering if this is still the case? Does anybody have any knowledge about this? Also I would love to catch and eat them if it is okay, so therefore I need a good recipe for them. Are they just panfried like bluegills/sunfish? Thanks in advance for all the info.

WoodGrain
    Tilapia are Ciclids from africa and are mouth breeders.My fisheries mgt professor at the univ of az told me about them.They die off if the water temp falls to 50 degrees which limits the population also he told me they tasted a lot like shrimp.

Thanks

Default Awesome

Thats great to know, because I love me some shrimp!!!!

Thanks,

WoodGrain

Thanks

Cook em any way you want. Get all fancy with spices and pan searing and whatnot or just chunk em up roll em in batter and deep fry them. They are an easy fish to work with. The fillet rather nicely to boot.

Quailman, try Corvina Beach if your shorebound. It's pretty much all sand and mud down there, very little to hang your gear up on.
    Judge Gideon J. Tucker, wrote in a 1866 ruling that "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session."

Thanks

Default Fished It

Hello everyone, Just a quick update on the fishing at the Salton Sea, A buddy of mine and I went out there tonight for about 1 hr at the State Park. Man ohhh Man did we get into them. We fished right untill dark, and it was no stop casting and reeling in. I bet we caught between 50 to 60 in 1 hr. The funny thing is we were Catfishing in the canals not to far from there, having no luck, So I talked my buddy into going and giving it a try. Sorry I don't have any pictures, I've cleaned them all and they are in the freezer already. We decided that we are going back very soon. Hope some of you can get down there and enjoy the fast action.. Take alot of worms also. They go pretty quick!

WoodGrain

+ Reply to Thread