Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to install 12V on tent trailer

Thanks

I just bought a Coleman tent trailer and want to add a 12V battery. The trailer is wired to plug into 110V and has an inverter/control box. Does anyone know how to do it? There is a plug up near the hitch that has a black wire and white wire tied into the harness for all of the trailer lights. Is it a do-it-yourself type project or should I take it to a dealer and have them install it?

Thanks

It has the 12v inverter installed already? (IE 12vdc to 120vac)

Thanks

Yes. After reading the owners manual, which I had to download from the Coleman website, it seems all I have to do is install the battery box and get the wiring harness to hook up the battery to the female plug up by the hitch. All I need to do is find the harness.

Thanks

Sounds like you're ready to rock.

at the converter, Attach a piece of 14 guage or larger multi strand automotive wire to the (+) side. This wire should be black, which will follow standard wire colors.

Using the same guage and type of wire only in white, attach it to the (-) side of the converter, and to the frame of the trailer. Detach an existing bolt, make sure to scrape it to bare metal.(repaint after assembly) Also at this point is where you are going to take more white wire and run it up to the battery box, side by side with the black wire.

On the frame, you can split the wires and run one of each to the plug for the truck. This will charge the battery. Or, when doing wiring, I prefer to run a seperate set of wires off of the battery to the plug for the truck. I find that by not splicing into wires, you run into less problems in the long run.

This is an easy job. A little time consuming, especially when doing a real neat job of it, but you sure don't need to pay the dealer to do it, and possibly do a shotty job. (note the word possibly)

+ Reply to Thread