Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Build your own Mosquito Fogger

Thanks

Bald Eagle is offline No Longer A Member Kiss The Ring Bald Eagle
    Thanks

I'm sorry Todd but I looked around the site and didn't see any fogger. Did I miss it?

Thanks

Did you click the link I provided? It came for me here at home. I posted it from work earlier today.

Todd

Bald Eagle is offline No Longer A Member Kiss The Ring Bald Eagle
    Thanks

All I get when I click on your link is the The Wharton Journal-Spectator
    in Wharton, Tx.

Is that what you intended to link to?

Thanks

It links to a story at that newspaper on a guy who built a fogger. Explains what he did.

Retired engineer creates his own Fogger

They made the rounds like they were supposed to, Johnson admitted. Its just sometimes the wind was the wrong direction or not blowing and we would get no fogging at our home.

Taking matters into his own hands, literally, the retired Schlumberger engineer built himself a fogger.
    It was so easy, he said. I had most of what I needed. Ranchers and horse owners could do the same thing that I did.

Johnson knew that malathion and diesel could be bought for the fogging ingredients. Its the same two-percent malathion to diesel mix the city uses in its sprayer. All he needed beyond that was heat to convert them to fog.

For his vehicle Johnson chose his riding lawn mower. He says ranchers or horse owners could use their trucks, tractors or four-wheelers to do the same thing.

The whole conversion took Johnson about two hours to do.

First he drilled and tapped a hole into the exhaust pipe of his mower. Then he screwed a tube fitting into the tapped hole.

The tank for chemicals was mounted on the mowers sun shield roof above his head. A tube runs through the roof and down to the exhaust pipe.

A flow valve is placed in the feed tube at a convenient place in the tube to make adjustments on the amount of fog mix going to the exhaust pipe.

It worked better than I ever thought it would, Johnson enthused. I can go around the house and yard in just a few minutes.

I can also get in closer to the plants and areas where the mosquitos hide out during the day, he said. The hotter the exhaust pipe gets, the better it fogs.

Johnson says this is a good way for ranchers and horse owners to better protect their animals from mosquitos.

If anyone wants to convert a truck, tractor, mower or four-wheeler to a mosquito fogger, Johnson said they can call him at 532-5383.

Johnson likes to tinker and build some of his own equipment. He has also built a 15 kw generator that if the power goes out, can power his entire home, including air conditioning.

+ Reply to Thread