Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leupold LPS scopes?

Thanks

Does anyone know anything about Leupold's LPS
    series scopes? I am considering buying one of them.
    ProHunter

FJ Guest

I put one on a 300 when they first came out, which was in 1997 I think. ###I often do think about replacing it with one of their other scope models such as the Mark III with 3x9 power. ###The LPS I have is a 3.5 x 14 power scope, and by design, it has a 4 inch eye relief.

My LPS scope has been returned once to Leupold, and so has an LPS my father purchased. ###The main problems were focusing, especially through the range of magnification, but I hear that is inherent with the larger magnification scopes and a long eye relief.

If I ever made a new rifle, I think I would put a high end 3x9 Leupold Mark II or III on it and spend the money saved on a tag or two. ###My other rifles have the Mark II and III scopes and I have never had a problem with either.

Either way, their customer service is first rate and good to deal with should you ever need it.

FJ

Thanks

prohutner,

I have a few Leupold Vari IIs and looked real hard at the LPS and Vari IIIs.

The bigger objectives on the IIIs and LPS give a few minutes more of shooting time in the low light of the day. Is it worth the extra money? Your pocketbook will have to decide if you need the extra shooting time.

I only had limited time using the LPS so I can't add anything on the focus problem FJ talked about.

Customer service is outstanding, with no questions asked.

Thanks

thanks guys!

kmitch is offline Member Allowed To Sit On The 1st Rung kmitch
    Thanks

I've hunted for two years with a Vari X III 3.5 X 10 -50 on a 7 mag. Exscellent in low light conditions. Very rugged. A lot of money initially but I've never seen a used one at a gun show. Must be lots of satisfied customers.

Keith

Thanks

Leupold's LPS series of scopes is their answer to the high end European glass from Leica, Swarovski and Zeiss. ###They are comparable in both performance and price to the high end German glass.

From the couple that I've looked through they're able to justify the price when compared to the others. ###The only problem is that too many people want a $1000 scope to have some hard to say German name on it, not "Leupold". ###If you can get past that, they're excellent scopes. ###

Much easier to service than the German glass should the very rare event ever be needed.

Thanks

Hello folks,

personally i own a Swarovski 3x12x56mm riflescope and a good friend whom works with me has a Zeiss 3x12x56mm riflescope.

i have looked thru my scope now for many years, bought it in 1988

one year i let my friend borrow my gun and scope to go on hunt that he had been drawn for and ever since that hunt he wanted a better scope than what he was used to.
    over a period of about 5 or 6 years he bought several scopes trying to get one with the qualities that my Swarovski had and could never seem to get what he wanted but could not afford.

finally he saved the money and bought himself the Zeiss 3x12x56mm scope and he is well satified now

in his scope buying over the years he was always ###wanting a better scope and he would have been better off buying what he has now instead of buying several different ones over the years as he could have saved money in the long run.

while he was into looking thru a lot of scopes we looked over the Leoupld LPS one day as he was thinking of buying one since he had it in his hands but decided he would wait until he could scrape up the extra dollars to get either a Swarovski or a Zeiss

in my opinion and his the Leupold LPS is a fine scope but is not the same as the European scopes.

the LPS is not the Scope that either the Swarovski or the Zeiss is by far

back in 1988 when i bought my Swarovski scope i basically done the same thing with me owning several good scopes until i finally wound up with the Swarovski.

bottom line:
    buy all the scope you can afford as you really do get what you pay for.

Later,

Don is offline Member Allowed To Sit On The 1st Rung Don
    Thanks

Well Gun Doc you are the only guy I know that owns a Swarovski scope. ###I would love to have one but the $1200.00 to $1300.00 price tag is too much.

I do agree with you though. ###If you are looking to spend $800.00 plus on a scope go ahead and add a few hundred more the Swarovski.

+ Reply to Thread