Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: .222 Rem. vs .223 Rem

Thanks

Thumbs up

For those of you that have a .222 Rem, why did you choose it over the .223 Rem?

I have a .204 Ruger that is my favorite rifle, but I was thinking about getting a second prairie dog rifle, but in a different caliber, so I was looking at the .19's and also the .222 & .223.

I've always read that the .222 is wonderfully accurate with almost everything, but still why should I look for a good bolt rifle in .222 instead of .223? Oh, and I do reload, so store bought cartridges is not an issue.
    Arizona Hunter

fdkay is offline Member Moving Up In The World fdkay
    Thanks

The vast majority of folks shoot the .223 now, the .222 was around long before the .223 and it ruled bench rest until the advent of the PPC cartriges. It is a wonderfull round, but more limited than the .223. Reloaders like the long neck of the .222, but still, the brass is much more plentifull fir the .223 and with a fast twist barrel, you can shoot bullets up to 80 grains. I think accuracy wise, the .222 has a very slight edge, but in velocity and downrange energy the nod goes to the .223. It is also much easier to find a rifle in .223.

Thanks

Brass availability is a real good reason to look at the 223 thats for sure. Thanks for the input. Not sure if I'll pick up a .223 or another .204 for p-dogs. Oh, well, I've time to think about it.
    Thanks again.
    Arizona Hunter

Thanks

I have a few 223's and one Triple Deuce. None of my .223's will shoot with the .222. I like both but unless you're going to shoot surplus military brass (which I wouldn't recommend for accurate varmint rounds), "availability" isn't an issue; Deuce brass is easily had. As to power, a quick scan of the 53 grain bullet loads shows an 8 to 10" velocity difference with corresponding reductions in pressures. I don't shoot any farther with the .223 than I do with the .222.~AMMOe
    "Even the surest sword, in sorrow, bleeds for it's spoiling blow"

Thanks

I shoot a .222 rem mag. Basically it was dirt cheap and had not been shot ($200 for a 700 BDL). I was going to rechamber it in .223 but chancged my mind when I shot it. I like the idea of having something different than everyone else too.

I still have my eye open for a 788 in .223, havent found one at the right price yet.

Thanks

I shoot the 222. It's a Remington 722 with a 26 inch barrel. I bought it years ago from a guy for 200 bucks new in the box and unfired. It shoots dime sized 5 shot groups all day long. Brass has never been an issue. I have shot some very good 223's as well. I like them both.

+ Reply to Thread