Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: nocking point

sch109 is offline Member Norman New Guy/Gal sch109
    Thanks

Red face

were is the right place to put your nocking point. should it be in the middle of the string measured from cam to cam or higher or lower, and how do you figure it out.I have the r.s. leveles and the laser to set the rest and nocking point up but am unsure were to start . I figured that the nocking point should be the starting place then level the rest with that , thanks for help.

Thanks

I set my knock to be about level to my rest when the shaft is dead center the berger.

hope that helps, some folks like their nock 1/8th high for a release, I generally set mine and shoot it in till it is where it needs to be.
    Give me a bow, a topo, and two weeks, and I guarantee I'll kill two weeks!!

bearclaw

sch109 is offline Member Norman New Guy/Gal sch109
    Thanks

I'm a little new to this and (shaft is dead center the berger.) is not something i have heard of, could you clarify this please.

Thanks

I use a laser and 2 levels first I level the bow to the string then with a arrow on and rest in the full up postion <dropaway> i run the laser down the arrow to get my arrow in line with the string and this gets the arrow rest lined up I then use my arrow level and get my laser run it down the arrow to the nock and 1/8 up is your nock top ancore and 1/4 down is a second ancore i dont use a string loop so a brass nock is my thing
    masterbuilt elect...
    traeger 075

Thanks

Here is a great link that will walk you through the basics of bow set up and tuning.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=457713

Take care,
    JKVSHOOTER
    If God didn&#39;t want us to EAT animals, He wouldn&#39;t have made them out of MEAT!

Thanks

I would recommend that you download and print the easton tuning guide from the easton archery website, read it, re read it, then read it again, it is responsible for more well tuned bows than any single source anywhere.

Good luck, it&#39;s cool to have gadgets, but many, if not most well tuned bows are done with just a simple sighting down the shaft and then shooting till the target proves that it&#39;s dialed in.

I personally prefer to get it close with bare shafts and fletched, then I go to group tuning, then I walk it back, then I shoot it with broadheads, if at fifty yards I am hitting groups of broadheads and field points together, it is tuned.

enjoy the addiction

bearclaw

500+grns is offline Member Moving Up In The World 500+grns
    Thanks

I agree w/bearclaw,
    After I bench tune my bow,I head out to the range w/three well tuned arrows equiped w/3blade broadheads(Muzzy or Thunderheads) because they are the most unforgiving and will plane with any tuning inperfection that the bow has.
    I shoot them and make micro adjustments to the rest until field point arrows and broadhead arrows group at 50 yrds.
    If this can&#39;t be accomplished,spine is ussually the issue.

Thanks

The techie stuff is great, however very few folks actually grip the bow perfectly square, one reason it ain&#39;t smart to borrow a buddy&#39;s bow and expect it to shoot straight, which is where the tech stuff doesn&#39;t help, everything could be plumb and perfect, but if you tweak the grip a tad, the groups will show it, and while everything you paid good money tells you that the bow is tuned, it will be throwing arrows sideways.

Once you get good with your bow and spend time tuning, retuning, and tuning some more, you will realize that all that you need to get the bow shooting good is the appropriate allen wrenches and you are set, of course a target.

some folks swear by paper tuning, some swear at it, same for walk back tuning, or group tuning with broadheads.

when I have my bow "tuned" I shoot three groups at a time at various yardages tween twenty and sixty, one broadhead and one fieldpoint, in that order, at each quarter to 2" dot, when each group at each yard are together, minus my shooting errors, she&#39;s is as tuned as she can be, and I hang it up and she&#39;s ready to drain some lungs.

bearclaw

+ Reply to Thread