Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: selfbow plan's

Thanks

I am looking for some plans for a self bow does anyone have such a thing i have a traditional boyers book and it covers wood choice and some other things but no plans persay. thanks for any help.

Thanks

Here are a couple of sites that should get you started. ###The first link is actually a page with a whole bunch of how-to-do-it links... at least two of them are for bow building.

http://www.spiritbows.com/byo.html

http://communities.msn.com/ferretsarcheryw...ge/welcome.msnw

Have fun, ###Guy

Thanks

Grey Taylor; thanks for the info on this subject i have built a few bow's from pieces of ash and a electric hand held planer they worked but eventually cracked and broke i guess that's where the tillering comes into play getting each limb equal. i like the traditional type of archery but just can't give up this mathew's compound. thanks again. ###keith

Thanks

this depend on the wood ansd style of Bow you want to use.
    I am not sure what volume it is in but in Traditional Bowyer Bible (I beleive Volume Two) has one set shown for Osage and another for yew and white wood.

Thanks

1BowHunter is right. ###If you don't match the profile of the bow to the particular wood you not only lose performance but you can be in line for an early failure. ###Personally, I'd also suggest hand tools rather than power. ###Unless you are extremely good with them you can make your bow from a screamer to a fishing float in one pass.

Keep at it and we'll ween you away from that mechanical contraption

Thanks

Plans vary as much as individual tast do. ###Limb design is dependent on the wood you choose, but handel design such as center shot or not center shot, shoot from a shelf or even a finger, bend in the handel or not, do toy want to back the bow with horn, sinue or rawhide.

It depends on why you want it. ###If your interest is in Indian Culture, a grass roots kind of thing, or you just want to take a deer with a Bow you made yourself, the perfect bow for you will be different.

For the record a self bow is made from a single piece of wood, with a single growth ring being the face of the bow. ###This is the most traditional of all bows. Following the ring creates the strongest bow limbs with the least potential for failure. ###Limbs can be shorter for a given weight and draw length. ###As its almost, if not impossible to get the single ring anyway but from a green tree, I recommend starting with a lumber yard bow. ###Most of the work in a self bow is in preparing the stave and the damage is usually done in the tillering. ###Why not learn to tiller first. ###

Grey is right about the power tools, they can get away from you in a hurry. ###Just don't use them for your finish work. ###You can rough in on a band saw and a ###Milwakie side grinder with a 60 grit sanding pad makes a great tool for "sculpting" you riser. ###I actually do my finish tillering with a blade from a pair or sizors. ###It works better tha any draw knife or plane I have.

Tell us what you want in a bow and I'm sure someone can help you with a design that will perform and will live. ###I just built one for a friend with a 15yr old who is carried away with some character in lord of the rings. ###He wanted a bow just like the one in the movie. ###I built a A 66 inch, bent in the handel (steamed), round limbed, slightly recurved replica of that bow. ###He did the painting. ###It actualy turned out pretty cool. ###The design is terrible so I had to stay around 42lbs to avoid over stressing the limbs. ###It doesn't shoot too bad though. ###It's mostly a wall hanger.

Thanks

Just for the record... ###I hate that movie and I haven't even seen it. ###

A woman ordered some arrows from me and her daughter wanted them "Just like Legolas shoots." ###The only thing that saved me is that another archery friend has seen the movie 4 times and was able to intelligantly describe the arrows to me. ###The arrows didn't turn out *exactly* like Legolas shoots but they were close enough for everyone to be happy.

Guy

Thanks

I havn't seen it either, he brought some life sized poster over and I got an idea of what the bow looked like. ###It's reall a very poor bow design, I kinda hated to build it, ###I made no gaurentees even for a first shot and he paid me $300 so why not. ###The thing has a tremendous amount of handshock with that funky handle design even for a 42lb-er. ###My "real" bows don't have any preceptible shock at all.

AK in PA is offline Member Moving Up In The World AK in PA
    Thanks

Traditional Bowyer's Bible, Vol. 1 gives length/width dimensions for an osage bow (66 or 68" long x 1-3/4" wide). ###While I think those are fine dimension for whitewood species, I think that is waayyy overbuilt for osage. ###Osage is a fairly heavy wood and an osage bow built to those specs would be doggish.

My favorite dimension for an osage bow is 62" long (with 4" grip and 1.25" fades) x 1-1/2" wide (for the first 6", then tapering in a convex arc to 7/16" wide nocks), and pulling 60-65# @ my draw of 25". ###Such a bow is short enough to be handy in the woods yet long enough to preclude the bowstring from pinching my fingers, allowing me to get a clean release. ###

Osage can handle even more stress, though. ###I just finished an osage bow for hunting in the thick woodlots around me that measures 60" x 1-1/2" and pulls 65# @ 25" that has taken 1" of string follow. ###Had I left the limbs 1/8" wider, I'm sure I could have made the bow 2" shorter without ending up with any more string follow. ###However, I doubt I could shoot such a bow as well.

If you have a longer draw, you may or may not wish to add a couple of inches to those dimensions. ###Part of the fun in this for me is experimenting with different designs or tweaking favorite designs to see how I like it. ###Often I like to reflex the tips of my bows like in the picture. ###

Since every piece of wood is different, there is no exact formula for building bows, especially in terms of thickness. ###However, you can pretty much figure the final limb thicknesses will be close to 3/4" just past the fades, around 5/8" at mid-limb, and 7/16" at the tips. ###Hope this helps.

Thanks

Welcome to the board & cool bow, AK. Got a question for you. The little zig-zag above the handle; I assume that is a zag in the wood grain and was left in the final shape for strength reasons. I saw another self bow somewhere else that had a HUGE zag in it but the guy said it shot well. How do you get over the mental aspect of that. I think I'd grit me teeth every time I drew the bow back. Is it a factor or not?

Thanks

Welcome to JHP AK.

Thanks

PowDuck, that wobble in AK's bow ain't nothing! ###You'd be surprised what an artist like him can do with a piece of curled up osage. ###There used to be a guy who shot at the same range as I that had an osage bow he made that had a knothole in the upper limb. ###When unknowing shooters (especially compound shooters) asked him what it was for he'd calmly tell them it was a peepsight. ###They'd look at him for a few seconds and then wander back to their targets... usually choosing another one that was a little farther away ###:surprised-purple:

AK in PA is offline Member Moving Up In The World AK in PA
    Thanks

Thanks for the welcomes guys. ###PowDuck, the little wiggle in the upper limb is indeed a grain feature. ###Selfbows must be made to follow the grain of the wood...whatever it does. ### Crooked wood can be bent straight to some degree with steam or heat depending on the severity of the initial snakiness. ###Often, it's more fun to leave such features in, since minor snakes or twists generally don't present a problem with normally stressed bows and can add character and increased challenge to tillering. ###Like Gray Taylor said, the little area of snake in that bow is really nothing compared to some bows I've seen or done. ###For my heaviest bows or most stressed designs, however, I prefer to use the straightest, cleanest, best stave I can manage from my wood stash.

I have had a few selfbows go south on me, but each was due either to my own early tillering flaws or to poor wood selection...none due to snakiness. ###Also, none have blown on me, but I decided to retire those particular ones as each gave telltale warning signs in the form of tearing wood on the back, compression fractures (chrysals) on the belly, sudden hinging, or snap-crackle-pop noises on drawing. ###Selfbows are nice in that they often give such warning signs before failure, as opposed to laminated bows that are more inclined to just fly apart. ###...Not that any bow is "likely" to fail, but it sometimes happens, especially if the bowyer doesn't do his part well.

Recently, a gentleman who frequents another site began asking for selfbow photos to post on his website. ###He's accumulated 11 web pages worth of selfbows from all over. ###There's some extraordinary talent displayed there (including some extremely snakey selfbows) that would probably be of great interest if you have a soft spot for selfbows.

http://groups.msn.com/ferretsarcherywebpag...woodenbows.msnw

Thanks

Guys... 'ya gotta go look at that site AK posted. ###I've been watching it as more and more bows get added and you would be amazed at what some people are making. ###Keep in mind, most of these bows are made by amateurs! ###True, they're extremely talented and dedicated amatuers but I don't think any of them are making a living making self bows.

Thanks

It IS a great site. Lots of neet bows. Lots of talented bowyers. It'll take me a while to see all of them, though. This dial-up connection is just too slow to flip through that many pictures.

Thanks

yeah....whats above pretty muchs sums it up. ###Ferret (mickey) is a great guy. he put a picture of one of my bows on there, but think it was just cause he liked the name (the bow was named meg, as in meg ryan...mickey kinda has a thing for her :-) )

heres some 'in process' pics of meg

I picked up dean torges' 'hunting the bamboo backed bow' this weekend. ###think I'll give one of those a whirl.

+ Reply to Thread