Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lyman Mustang reviews/field tests

Thanks

Greetings everyone. I'm new to the forum and so far I'm very impressed with the amount of topics and information here.

My question is about the new Lyman inline Mustang. I saw some information on it but was wondering if anyone else has got one and their impressions of it. I'm a big fan of Lyman's line of sidelock rifles and wondering if their inline is worth a look.

Thanks Y'all

JT

Thanks

Welcome aboard, JT!

Can't help you much with the Lyman, but we have a couple of fellas on here who seem to know a bit about smokepoles. Hopefully they'll have some good info for ya!
    He has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct... Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience rather than a mob of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact.
    Aldo Leopold

Thanks

Think me not unkind and rude,

That I walk alone through grove and glen.

I go to seek the God of the wood,

And fetch His word to men.

Thanks

Welcome JT!
    Troll
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
    -- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Thanks

JT,
    I love mine it's a great muzzle loading rifle.
    I took it out the first time and shot 1" to 1 1/4" groups with open sights at 50 yards.
    then i scoped it with an NRA (Brunton) Sports Optics 3-9x40 quick focus with #5 ballistic recticle.
    I'm shooting sub 1" groups at 100 yards consistantly with 100 grains of triple 7 FFg and 245 grain barnes spitfires.
    It breaks down easy for cleaning, and is a very efficient design.
    It's made by the same guys that make the other Lymans
    http://www.investarm.com/eng/index.html
    Dixie gun works has a write up on it and Midway USA and Cabelas has it for sale too.
    But if you shop for it around on the internet look at Midsouth shooters supply it's cheaper there by about $60 to over $100.00 than the other places.
    This rifle was easier to to sight in than my 7mm rem mag. in fact I am shooting it much more and will hunt with it much more too!
    It fills the void between my switchback and my 7mm perfectly.
    You won't be disaapointed and don't believe the sarcasm from the shot show thread.
    The slightly magnetized primer holder is great at the range and in the field (unless you have metal fingers and fingernails) and the scope mounts much lower than the NEF that Randy talks about. The NEF has a huge honking hammer that sticks way up there.
    My scope is mounted at 1 1/2" from the top of the barrel to the scope centerline.
    The barrel is tapered and the scope mounts that come with the rifle compensate for clearance on the tang.
    I have my scope mounted on Warne medium quick detach rings and it works fine with a very good solid cheek weld.
    If you get a chance to handle one first that is alsways best, then you can see how it handles, looks and feels.
    Randy didn't like the wood either but I think he may be alittle anal about some things.
    It's a solid gun and I hope to use it this week in the bad weather for pigs.
    The forecast here is for rain and I'm hoping I'll get to test it under those conditions this week.
    I heard that they are coming out with an interchangable shotgun barrel for it later this year too. (excellent for turkey)
    Remember, this is not a Democracy its a Republic so be damned careful who you trust to put into office because you give them the power to alter the Constitution and take this Country in any direction they see fit for their own best interest.

Thanks

Thanks for the welcome to the forum Y'all.
    I appreciate the info billrob.
    I bought a Mustang but haven't shot it yet. I like the looks and feel of this rifle.

JT

Thanks

"I bought a Mustang but haven't shot it yet. I like the looks and feel of this rifle."

jt,
    Glad to hear it.
    Wait until you shoot it then you'll like it even more.

My work/hog trip was cancelled until Monday but it's supposed to rain then too.

Good shooting and let us know what you think of the performance after shooting it.

Don't forget to pull the breech plug and put a little grease on the threads before you shoot it.
    I read a reveiw from a guy who forgot and he had a heck of a time getting it out.
    Remember, this is not a Democracy its a Republic so be damned careful who you trust to put into office because you give them the power to alter the Constitution and take this Country in any direction they see fit for their own best interest.

Thanks

billrob,
    The first thing I did was completely break it down for cleaning. I found removing the stock was a pain but I got it off and thoroughly cleaned the receiver. The barrel was a real pain to clean. Whatever protective coating they use is sure tough to clean. It took a LOT of Hoppes, bore brush, and patches to clean it. I am used to this since I already own seven other Lyman muzzleloaders. Whenever the weather gets better I'll hit the range and let you know how she shoots. I am going with 777 or Pyrodex RS and 300 grain Hornady XTP's with Harvester sabots. I thought about mounting a scope but I'm more of an open sight kind of guy.

JT

Thanks

JT,
    Good move tearing it down tahts what I did too.
    Yea, the stuff they put on it is tough to get off it really sticks.
    It's kind of brown colored and thick.
    I couldn't get the stock to come off either but when it got gunked up the trigger started to get gritty so I finally put it in my red MTM case guard with the cleaning holders and it turned right out no vice needed.
    I only scoped mine because I had one laying around that didn't work on my long action 7mm rem mag but now that its on there I like it.
    I have quick detach rings so I can pull it if I need to and Warne says it maintains zero.
    Good luck with yours.

Thanks

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (billrob @ Feb 6 2007, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Randy didn&#39;t like the wood either but I think he may be alittle anal about some things.[/b]
    Perhaps. In any case, it is one of those guns I&#39;m sorry I mentioned.

Thanks

I guess because Lyman doesn&#39;t have every popular outdoor writer or hunting show producer on their payroll they are unable to produce a good rifle

It&#39;s sad to see so many people suckered into thinking that just because they see every "professional" hunter using a particular brand that it is the best.

I have picked up many of the popular rifles made by T/C, Knight, and CVA and to tell the truth, they were uncomfortable to shoulder and bulky to handle.

Lyman did a great job with the Mustang. Too bad many folks are too close-minded to see it.

JT

Thanks

jt,
    Its the way of the world. At least we didn&#39;t miss the boat.
    Let me know when you shoot it and what you think.
    Unless everybody shooting the Mustang is an expert marksman I haven&#39;t heard one single owner comment or post a review in which their groups were not tight or dead center. Or, that they did not like the feel or handling characteristics.

Thanks

JT,
    did you get to shoot it yet?

Thanks

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (billrob @ Mar 2 2007, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    JT,
    did you get to shoot it yet?[/b]
    Not yet.
    I&#39;m sick as a dog with some kind of resperatory thing. Hopefully I&#39;ll be back on my feet soon so I can shoot it.

JT

Thanks

Get well soon

Thanks

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jtmattison @ Feb 18 2007, 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    I guess because Lyman doesn&#39;t have every popular outdoor writer or hunting show producer on their payroll they are unable to produce a good rifle

It&#39;s sad to see so many people suckered into thinking that just because they see every "professional" hunter using a particular brand that it is the best.

I[/b]
    You commment is ignorant and mis-informed.

Lyman makes no inline, they import.

Knight paid me nothing to rave about the Disc Elite-- they paid me nothing for a deservedly harsh review of the Revolution. Savage has never given me a single gun-- I buy them.

NEF / H& R paid nothing for a positive review of the Sidekick. T/C, A & H, you name it-- none of the above are my sponsors in any way.

Carbon barrels and fake wood finishes are not my cup of tea-- nor are break-actions. It does not compare favorably to a 10ML-II, Encore, Triumph, or from what I can see, a KP-1. That is not to say this Italian also-ran is incompetent, just that they are unremarkable compared to many.

Thanks

Geez Mr. Wakeman, did I hit a nerve?

I was talking about popular outdoor writers and professional hunters, not you.

You can&#39;t tell me the guys we see on T.V. raving about a particular gun aren&#39;t on the manufacturers payrole

JT

Thanks

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jtmattison @ Mar 25 2007, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Geez Mr. Wakeman, did I hit a nerve?[/b]
    Yes.

For years, many have opined about gunwriters that suck up to manufacturers, have never had a gun jam, every rifles shoots 1/2 MOA, no scope ever fails, etc., etc. "Honest, unvarnished, hard-hitting opinion" is what many say they want. That is, of course, unless that opinion does not mirror what they personally bought-- now, they "must be on someone&#39;s payroll."

Gun companies are tiny companies, very small OEM&#39;s with equally tiny budgets. Any single Wal*Mart Superstore has far more sales, and far more employees than a so-called "large" firearms company." Prattle about being &#39;close-minded&#39;, "bs," and being on payrolls is a cheap alternative to getting off your butt and contributing. If everyone that talks and writes about guns is a paid shill, than YOU can be the one to change all that. Or, just carp, grumble, and whine about all the paid-for information-- without providing a better alternative of your own. That takes a lot of work, however. Whose payroll are you on?

Thanks

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RandyWakeman @ Mar 27 2007, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Whose payroll are you on?[/b]
    I&#39;m on the payroll of the United States Air Force and have been for near 18 years. My job is to help defend our nation and the people who cherish it, not write gun articles.
    Have you gotten off your butt and given the Lyman Mustang a good honest field testing? If not, maybe you shouldn&#39;t scoff at it and write it off as a P.O.S.
    You do your job and I&#39;ll do mine.

JT

Thanks

Your "job" pays better. A "pos" is your way of expressing yourself, not mine.

Thanks

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RandyWakeman @ Mar 30 2007, 04:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Your "job" pays better. A "pos" is your way of expressing yourself, not mine.[/b]
    "job" ?
    Are you trying to say I don&#39;t have a real job?
    Let me ask you this. Have you been to Iraq lately? I have.

"pos"
    You&#39;re right. I said it, you didn&#39;t. You may as well have. You can&#39;t argue the fact that you didn&#39;t give the Mustang a fair look. Your comments about the stock were way off base. It is hardwood with a laminant to enhance the look. In my opinion it is a whole lot better than the plastic stocks on the popular brand rifles.

To each his own. Agree to disagree.

JT

Thanks

Boys.

The last time I watched a pissing contest both 10 year olds ended up soaked in piss and everybody else was laughing at them.

If it&#39;s that important that you strike and counterstrike, then take it to email. It doesn&#39;t do any service to the question originally asked in this thread.
    He has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct... Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience rather than a mob of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact.
    Aldo Leopold

Thanks

Sorry Speck.

I know now why Mr. Wakeman has been banned from other forums.

Don&#39;t worry about any more noise out of me.

JT

Thanks

JT, and all concerned,
    I am going out next week Fri-Sun to Bryson Hesperia Resport on a private land semi guided turkey/hog combo hunt.
    I&#39;m taking the Lyman Mustang for the pigs.
    I&#39;m not looking for a huge tusky musky trophy, just a meat hog of 150lbs or under.
    I&#39;ll be using Barnes 245 grain spitfire expanders and 100 grains of triple seven which are hitting 7/8" or less at 100yds and dead in the bullseye at 100 yds from the prone position. MPBR is about 185yds, but I have it sighted in dead on at 100 with my #5 ballistic recticle.
    Going to practice 100, 150, 175 and 200 tomorrow and see where I&#39;m at with the lines underneath the main crosshair.

I &#39;ll report back on the field handling and shooting pros and cons of the rifle.
    Nothing negative with regards to trading insults on who likes what and who doesn&#39;t.

Just a simple review as this post orignally intended.

BPDawg is offline Member Norman New Guy/Gal BPDawg
    Thanks

Billrob,
    I&#39;m curious. How&#39;d the Mustang do?

Thanks,
    BPDawg

+ Reply to Thread