Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .270 for Pigs?

CalHunter is offline Member Moving Up In The World CalHunter
    Thanks

I'm going pig hunting this weekend by Red Bluff. Gonna try Federal's 130 grain Nosler Partition bullets. Has anybody tried these on pigs yet? I've used Remington's 130 grain Corelokt bullets on a previous pig hunt and the pig took 2 well placed bullets and still bit a dog. I'm curious to see how these bullets perform.

Thanks

They work Excellent! But its not going to give you more KNOCKDOWN power. Just that it will hold up better than the Core-lokt that you were using. However bullet performance still doesnt mean you can fudge on shot placement (i know you said you placed the shots well). It just means the bullet will hold up under severe conditions better. Such as a 3000+fps hits on an animal at close range, or hitting hard bone. You may want to go up a caliber and shoot heavier bullets...say like a 30-06 with 180gr Noslers or to a .300 of some flavor.

Good luck! RG

Thanks

A .270 Win. 130 grn. Partition bullet is more than enough killing power even for a 500+ lb. Hogzilla.
    Animals are fully adrenalized when chased, cornered or wounded. They can run 100 yds. with a liver, heart or double lung blown to smithereens. Even with a shoulder blown away, they can still run fast on 3 legs. The only surefire way of dropping the animal on the spot is a brain or spine shot. 'Nuff said.

Thanks

Some animals are so full of adrenaline they don't even flinch when smacked with heavy caliber rifle bullets at point blank range. I once shot mid torso a 150 lb. wild pig that was on a fast trot at 25 yds. with my BAR .338 Win. Mag. loaded with 225 grns. Barnes X. The bullet passed through the wild pig blowing the liver to smithereens. Instead of flinching or dropping or slowing down, the wild pig instantaneously went on a full run for over 100 yds. before laying down in the forest and expiring. Another time, I shot a 200 lb. wild pig at 50 yds. with my Tikka .300 Win. Mag. loaded with 180 grn. Barnes X. The wild pig was facing me slightly turned to my left. The bullet hit behind the right shoulder and passed through the gut and went out through the other side. The pig dropped to the ground motionless and I approached cautiously after jacking a fresh round, with my rifle shouldered and pointed at the pig. As got to 10 yds. the pig suddenly jumped up and started running away from me. As dumb as I was I started running after the pig which was slowed down by the waist high hay grass. I could keep up with the pig because I was jumping and running to gain height over the waist high grass. After about 10 seconds of this LUNACY, I SUDDENLY REALIZED I WAS CARRYING A .300 WM RIFLE AND ALL I HAD TO DO WAS STOP AND SHOOT THIS PIG AND THE 180 grn. BARNES X BULLET WILL PASS THRU FROM TAIL TO THROAT AND KILL THE PIG. I certainly stopped, took quick aim at the fleeing pig and at about 10 yds. made the killing shot. At the shot, the pig again dropped to the ground. This time it was laying down on it's left side with it's legs swinging at empty air. There was a strong jet of steam blowing from the bullet entry hole in that cold morning air. I shot that pig in the head just for insurance. 'Nuff said.

Thanks

.270 + 130gr nosler partition = dead hog
    MIKE

"Had God not intended for humans to hunt, he would not have made animals out of meat."

"The true Hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Saxton Pope

Thanks

It'll dew.

Thanks

It will do the job just fine! For hogs, especially in the case of a big boar, you might be just a bit better off with 150gr, but the 130 Partition in the right place will certainly do the trick.
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted..." Jose Ortega y Gasset

Stryder is offline Member Allowed To Sit On The 1st Rung Stryder
    Thanks

I shot one this past may at tejon at about 50 ft with a 270 and 130 gr silvertips, put the bullet just behind the ear and watched it tumble a hundred yards downhill. It will do the job.
    "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape, finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Voltaire

"Yes, I am an extremist, thank you for noticing." Ted Nugent

"If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up to much f'n space" Ted Nugent

CalHunter is offline Member Moving Up In The World CalHunter
    Thanks

Thanks guys. On my previous pig hunt, my first round went in through the neck and lodged in the heart. the pig ran past me and my 2nd shot went in behind the ear and lodged near the brain. The pig rolled down into a creek bed where it couldn't get up but still bit the dog in the hind leg before being finished off with a knife. The gun store I went to didn't have any 150 grain bullets so I went with the 130 grain. It was also slightly flatter in trajectory than the CoreLokt bullets. I'll let everybody know how the Partitions work. Thanks for the replies.

Thanks

Anytime you shoot a herd animal with a sub 30 caliber bullet you run the serious risk of the whole herd running off without the wounded one leaving a drop of blood.

There is absolutely no doubt that a .270 will kill a hog, but the object is to collect it. I've seen more big game shot with sub 30 caliber then I can count run with the herd long after a good solid hit is placed and they don't leave a drop of blood from those puny holes.

Lone animals tend to lay up when wounded, herd animals will run a long way dead on thier feet to stay with the group. If that dead one peels off and lays up to die but you find the whole group again how do you know if your animal is in that herd or if it's fallen back and died? No blood trail quite often equals no animal.

I just came back from Nor Cal and posted this a bit further down the list. You can see what happened to me with three good solid shots from a 30/06 and the best Barnes TSX bullets. Hogs deserve much more credit for their resistance to death then most people give them.

Here's the post:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I took my little boy to Northern California this week to hunt wild hogs. I've hunted pigs all over the USA and outside the USA on several occasions. Hogs are a passion of mine I just can't explain it.

We drove down in the pickup with the camper and stayed right on the ranch we were going to hunt. During the stay I would guess I saw 50-60 pigs, although none provided any normal ethical type of shooting ...... for me. The Pigs here are all very nocturnal. In daylight or across open ground they are moving all the time towards the thick stuff. It took a while to figure this out for me. I was always expecting them to stop at some point and offer some kind of standing shot.

After a couple days of this the manager of the ranch I was hunting went out with us. We came across a group of hogs crossing way ahead of us and he said "shoot one"....... They were trotting at a good clip, but not quite full out running.....yet.

When he yelled to me I sat and rested the rifle across my knee and picked one out, but dog-gone they were moving fast and getting out of range in a hurry.

Then he yells..... Better shoot, they are going to be gone.

So I lead the biggest one which is quartering away and moving fast at 150 plus yards. I squeeze the trigger and nothing falls or even flinches.............A miss?

He yells over to me shoot again!

I'm trying my best now to steady this rifle and only have a tail shot as the same hog is heading up the hill about 250 yards away. I lay the crosshairs between the ears hoping it's enough lead and click it off...........Nothing at all, no reaction nada zip.......nothing!

He says to me "wadda ya missin these hogs"

Then I get a break, ........well kinda........that big hog stops just below the rise in the hill, turns broadside and stands looking back. I said to the rancher, how far? My rangefinder is in my pocket but I have about 2 seconds to shoot. He says " he's all of 300 maybe 350" I was thinking 400 but at least he's motionless. I know my rifle is 13" low at 400 so I hold the crosshairs right on the top of his back. Slowly squeeze off and Boom!...... the good sound of a solid hit with the pig lurching and stumbling then running up the hill and over the crest.

The rancher says........well that last one got him.

So we load onto his ATV and drive up to hill. He drops me and Jesse off on the down hill side to look for blood and he drives up the really steep sidehill where the pig was standing. Before I could even get serious about the direction I was looking he yells down the pig is up here!

So we climb up and he says you hit it twice about 3 inches apart right through the chest. Perfect shots. Wow how did that pig go that far with a double lung hit.... up that steep hill at a run? When we were rolling him over for photo's he says holy cow you really blew a hole into this hind quarter. I looked over and said wow I actually hit him all three times! He did not seem to think it was reason to be pleased that I blew a ham to bits. I'll take a bad ham and a running shot at 250 yards every time! Better to lose a little meat then the whole animal. But what's even more impressive is that this hog was double lunged at 150, had a complete length wise penetration at 250, and still made it to 350 plus for a needed 3rd shot.

And this was a Sow too! Anyway it was a good hunt with my nearly 5 year old son. And three more complete pass throughs with the 165TSX from that 30/06. I'm not one to shoot running game as a normal practice. I've taken a few head running, but I never like the odds. The Northern California Ranchers don't look at pigs like normal big game, but rather they seem to consider them as most of us would coyotes. I would never pass a chance at a coyote even running. I guess I was slow to grasp that when I arrived there. I definately gotta practice a bit more running shots if I do this again!

All the exits looked like good expanded functional TSX performance. The entry on the hindquarter was 1" and that inner thigh was just mush. The exit was between the front legs but very near the right front leg "arm pit". The exit was about 1/2" diameter. They also kept the TSX tradition of no game reaction when hit. Only that last shot which broke the exit side Humerus and poked through the entry side scapula gave an indication of a hit.

Hard to argue with a 250 yard lengthwise pass through on what is probably a 200pound animal as tough as a hog is. Let there be no doubt about the toughness of a wild hog. These aniamls are like African Game where the ability to absorb bullets are concerned.

Since I have taken a number of exceptional hogs in my life, I've become just as happy with a nice size meat hog. This was a sow which will be great table fare. Just as good as big tusks sometimes. I have another tag good til June. Maybe I'll try and head back down for another one before this tag expires.
    www.huntingadventures.net
    jjhack@huntingadventures.net

The best things in life are not "things"

Thanks

Three of us that hunt hogs in Texas use a 12 gauge Model 1100 loaded with slugs, a 45-70 Marlin Guide Gun loaded with Garrett Bear Buster ammo, a .300WM Tikka and a .338 WM BAR both loaded with Barnes X bullets. We have not lost a hog yet and we have not recovered a single high powered rifle bullet. All the high powered rifle bullets were pass thru's. Like JJhack, I believe pass thru's are better for a good blood trail. The exit wound is bigger and more jagged than an entry wound and will produce a better blood trail. 'Nuff said.

Thanks

You're killing me Larry -- with envy.

Nice stories.

God Bless!

Thanks

Speaking of blood trails. I dont think a .270 will leave a blood trail from a hog, specials in the months of Jan. to April when they are full of fat. I shot a 305# with a my 300 win mag using Barnes-X. It entered the chest cavity and got stuck behind the opposite shoulder. Now the pig didn't fall, I saw it run past 150 yards. Not one drop of blood on the ground. Once I found the pig I noticed that the fat was spewing through the bullit hole.

Back to topic. 270 is great for pigs. I know of many pig guides that only use 270s. Then again they have dogs to track down any lost pig.
    "To find health should be the object of the doctor. Anyone can find disease."
    - Dr. Andrew Taylor Still, 1874

"A downed animal is most certainly the object of a hunting trip, but it becomes an anticlimax when compared to the many other pleasures of the hunt." - Fred Bear

Thanks

I would not hesitate to shoot a wild pig if I were armed with a .270 Win. loaded with 130 grn. Partitions. That is definitely more than enough killing power to harvest a wild pig. But like Shot said, on big wild pigs, pass thru's are not guaranteed even with bigger calibers. With the .270 Win. I would opt for the 150 grn. Partition if there is a choice next time around. Penetration is the name of the game on hogs. Heavier bullets for the same caliber increase the penetration ability markedly. 'Nuff said.

Thanks

Yaeh, I've stacked the deck with a .300 win mag and 200 grain TSX's at 2970 fps..

I think I'd get a pass through on a battleship.

Thanks

I also harveseted a few animals in africa with my 220 swift and 53 Gr. TSX's.Didn't get a single bullet back from the 220 swift combo.Everything was a pass thru,Springboks,Fallow Deer,Impala,Steenbok and more.Killer load,but somebody better be watching the animal for impact....Also shot a 250 lb boar while shooting squriells,with varmit loads.Don't recommend that one,took three shots in the side of the head.Wish I had the TSX's then.....

hunt hard is offline Member Knows The Secret Handshake hunt hard
    Thanks

my dad knocks the heck out of them hogs with his 270 but he uses 150 grain federal its pretty deadly. jjhack nice hog that will be good eating congrates

Thanks

how are thoughs bullets compared to a nosler balistic tip?
    BORN TO HUNT

Thanks

Rancho,
    That .300 WM loaded with 200 grn. TSX will pass thru a 200 lb. hog from any angle. You'll love it when you smack those piggies with your elk/moose load. That is a boomer. 'Nuff said.

Thanks

Already done a few pigs with the combo.

I know it's overkill, but I'm able to shoot tiny groups with that load with my eyes closed.

Thanks

I know SacfireJT has shot a number of hogs with his 270 but he is also a very short man if this helps.

Thanks

Larry, your story about chasing the pig really had me laughing -- because I have done the same thing while hunting. Must be some sort of instinctual response.

Thanks

2 wounded animals I don't like to bloodtrail are hogs and bears. Too much high adventure for my ticker.

My 300 winmag puts nice holes in them and they leak oil pretty good. Don't run far either.
    Jeff "Jesse" James - Owner of Jesse's Hunting & Outdoors

You can always tell who's in 2nd place by who's whining and crying the most. - Old hockey coach.

Dum spiramus tuebimur

Advertise on JHO / Fishing Guide/Outfitter reviews / Facebook - JHO / Gear Reviews / Home, Main Page / Hunting Guide/Outfitter Reviews / Links / Photo/Video Gallery / Sponsors / Twitter - Follow JHO / JHO Youtube Channel

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man, hated and scorned. When the cause succeeds, however, the timid join him... for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -Mark Twain

hogwild757 is offline Member Moving Up In The World hogwild757
    Thanks

I shoot a Remington 710 in 270 Cal 130 btsp and never lost a hog just put it in the boiler room.

Thanks

Here is the bullet I recovered from the pig I was talking about. Before I went on that one specific trip I thought the barnes-x bullet might be a bit excessive for my 300 winmag, I hadn't used it for hunting before so I wanted to see how it would work, so off I went hunting. I have never recovered a bullet from a big game animal taken with my 300 winmag, so once I found this one I was kind of surprised. I couldn't believe that such a powerful round at about 180-200 yards didn't have a exit wound on a pig. This is just another good example that those darn pigs are so tough.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"A downed animal is most certainly the object of a hunting trip, but it becomes an anticlimax when compared to the many other pleasures of the hunt." - Fred Bear

Thanks

here are different angles

Thanks

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hunt hard @ Dec 1 2006, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    my dad knocks the heck out of them hogs with his 270 but he uses 150 grain federal its pretty deadly.[/b]
    Federal is the name of the cartridge company...not the name of the type of bullet. So what BULLET brand and type did he use. RG

Federal uses these Brand/types of bullets in their .270Win lineup.

Nosler - Partition
    Nosler - Accubond
    Sierra - GameKing BTSP
    Barnes - Triple Shock X-Bullet
    Trophy Bonded - Bear Claw

Read through all the posts and you come up with YES...a .270 with 130gr nosler will be a fine choice for your pig hunt. RG

Firemedic is offline Member Moving Up In The World Firemedic
    Thanks

I use a .270 with 150s and it works fine. Here is the last pig I took with it.

Firemedic is offline Member Moving Up In The World Firemedic
    Thanks

OK so here is the picture. Worked this time! First shot was 150 yards and second was at 75 yards, that one dropped the pig. Enjoy!! The .270 is a blast to shoot pigs with.

Thanks

Firemedic,
    Congratulations, that is a handsome pig. The .270 Win. 150 grn. bullets are definitely what the doctor ordered for hogs in .270 caliber. Definitely plenty of horsepower to flatten hogs. Looking at the Federal ammunition ballistics chart, the 150 grn. .270 Win. Nosler partition has over 1 ton of bone crushing impact energy at 100 yds. That is plenty to dispatch even the "Hogzillas". &#39;Nuff said.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast