Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Traditions Lightning 45 LD?

Thanks

I am thinking of purchasing the Traditions Lightning 45 LD. ###I will use a 3x9 scope with it. ###Has anyone tried this gun? ###If so how do you like it? ###Also any suggestions for an equivalent gun? ###(It sells for around $289.00 sans the scope).

kmitch is offline Member Allowed To Sit On The 1st Rung kmitch
    Thanks

I hunted with Traditions Lighting Bolt .50 cal last season. I used 100 gr of Pyrodex pellets, 250 grain sabots and 209 ignition. With that load I would shoot a 2" group at 100 yds. which was fine for my hunting situation. I did not do a lot of load development but plan to in the next few weeks. The Traditions muzzleloader seemed to be well built. I selected it over the CVA because it automatically sets the safety when you operate the bolt. ###Bass Pro Shop has their hunting show coming up the last weekend of August. I bought mine there last year, got a few extra goodies from the Traditions rep and saved a few $.

I have not shot a .45 cal. I understand they achieve higher muzzle velocity and flatter trajectory. I tried 185 grain sabots in my .50 cal and they patterned all over the place. My barrel is 1:28 twist. I understand the .45 cal handles the lighter bullets better. If you are looking for reduced recoil the .45 is probably the better choice. My .50 with a factory stock recoil pad will give you a sore sholder after about 10 shots.

There is a lot of blow-by around the bolt. I had a cheap Tasco 3X9-40 on mine last year. The bottom of the scope collects a lot of deposits. I put some camo duct tape on the bottom and solved the problem. Was glad I did not mount a Leupold.

Keith

Thanks

Thanks for the input, I have however purchased a Thompson/Center Omega 50 rather than the Traditions LD. ###It cost quite a bit more, but everything I have read about it said it was a great gun. ###As of today it has not arrived, but I'm watching for the UPS man! lol

Eagle Eye is offline Member Moving Up In The World Eagle Eye
    Thanks

### ### Congrats on the new gun, I gotta ask where you ordered one from. I been trying to find the Laminated SS since March. I've heard nothing but good stuff out of the few who have them.

Thanks

Eagle,
    I found mine IN STOCK (believe it or not!) at Bass Pro online. ###The only Omega's in stock were the SS/Hardwoods though unfortunately. ###At least I THINK the laminate was sold out. ###I can't wait to get it! ###I've probably called Bass Pro 20 times! lol

+ Reply to Thread