PDA

View Full Version : Buzzworms

spectr17
08-06-2001, 12:25 AM
I was at work one night last week at a fire station here in SoCal. ###I jumped out of my truck and was tip toeing around the driveway because of previous rattler encounters at this fire station in the foothills. When I was leaving one of the firemen yelled out, "Hey, looked what I killed under your van". He had a 4 footer stretched out on the hose rack.

Now Hyrider sends me these pics showing what they have to put up where he works. The guy dancing with the rattler on the aircraft ramp is plain nuts in my book.

http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/images/rattler-aircraft-ramp-hyrider.jpg

http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/images/rattler-wheelwell-hyrider.jpg

jerry d
08-06-2001, 12:59 AM
Where's that crocodle dude for Australia when you need him. The one that's always messing around with snakes on tv!!!!

overdrawn
08-06-2001, 09:28 AM
Now I am asking myself..."WHY DID I READ THIS THREAD"? Oh well just have to be observant in the field I guess, I'm with ya, the guy is fricking nuts! EEEEEOW! I do not like snakes anyway, I have about lost my bowels coming up on a dead one of these guys! And the live ones, they scare the pudd'n right outta me.

Speckmisser
08-06-2001, 10:47 AM
Hey, where's Hyrider from? ###This looks like one of those big Florida diamondbacks. ###I've met a couple of these guys and gotta say, I ain't up for that dance. ###The bite might not kill ya, but it's gonna hurt like..ummm..heck. ###

hyrider
08-06-2001, 03:44 PM
These aren't from were I work, These pics where sent through our e-mail system to warn us about removing our chock blocks, there was no description to where this was located. Just the size of him, gives me goose bumps.

LadyMarlin
08-06-2001, 07:22 PM
aint never heard of em called buzzworms, so I had to ###check out this thread.

WHOAAAAA, what a snake. ###Some folks are just plain nuts. I would have reved up that jet engine and hoped that sucker climbed on in where the blades would chop him to a jillion billion pieces.

spectr17
08-06-2001, 07:37 PM
Bear on another forum pointed out that the snake isn't a rattler. What appears to be the rattles in the second pic is actually the knot in the rope of the wheeel chocks. Burmese Python or an African Rock Python is current guess among many.

Look at the head in the 2nd pic.

QALHNTR
08-06-2001, 09:25 PM
On the money spectr17. ###I've owned both Burmese and Reticulated Pythons. ###The head in that photo is not a rattler. ###Looks like a very healthy pet.

Speckmisser
08-06-2001, 09:28 PM
Well, I'm danged! ###

I thought his head looked kinda fat when I looked the first time, but kinda wrote it off due to the topic title. ###I look again and sure enough. ###

Man, my daddy'd leave me in the woods if I made a mistake like that on the ground. ###Teach me to pay closer attention to Mr. No Shoulders.

hyrider
08-07-2001, 09:38 AM
Same here we all toke this to be a rattler, that could give a person nigthmares thinking something like that could be in the woods.

overdrawn
08-07-2001, 12:28 PM
I have seen something that size in the woods, at Cibola on the levy road California side, the dang thing was 4 1/2' long coontail, and I would say at least 2" around....that is why I said what I said in the begining of opening and reading this thread. They sure get the pumper thump'n! Brings a whole new meaning to tread litely!

Speckmisser
08-07-2001, 01:03 PM
Wish I had the pix of a couple of big ol' eastern diamondbacks we killed in SC and FL. ###One of them was over six feet, and big around in the middle as my arm. ###Killed it under the steps of a camper. ###Gotta watch yourself around those swamps. ###

I don't know if the rattlers out here get anywhere near that big. ###The biggest I've seen was about three or four feet, and relatively slender. ###Most of the ones I've met here have only been two feet or so, though. ###Not even big enough to eat...but about the right size for a nice looking hatband. ###

Hogskin
08-07-2001, 02:35 PM
Just the thought of that rattle buzzing gives me the sweats. ###Almost stepped right on one up by Frenchman's Flat a couple years ago. ###It coiled up right away and I nearly emptied my bowels in my pants. ###

Can't stand them snakes!

Paul

hyrider
08-07-2001, 06:32 PM
I live in the Sierra foothills in central cal, I average 4 rattlers a year around the house, form one foot to 4 feet long. I like to keep a shovel handy to make sure they never come back by removing their heads. The largest snake, was right after we move in, my ###wife woke me up real early one mourning to tell me there was a funny noise on the front deck and the dog was barking. I ran out side and there this big guy was wrap around my shovel. I now have a 22 hole in my deck. He had 16 rattles and they broke off past that and he was over 5 feet long. ###I have seen a lot of rattle snakes in California. I have heard of bigger snakes, but I have not sen to many much bigger. ###Thats why that snake in picture made me afraid of the dark.

Fubar
08-07-2001, 07:18 PM
The Forest Service Station in the San Bernardino National Forest near Yucaipa has a skin mounted in their lobby that is eight feet+. My friends killed two in El Centro one pheasant season that were around six feet. ### ### ### ### ### ### ###Fubar

Speckmisser
08-08-2001, 08:25 AM
Hogskin,

I know what you mean. ###I've been raised with all kinds of snakes most of my life, and even had a couple of "pet" copperheads for a while (in addition to the zillions of nonpoisonous snakes I caught). ###Usually they don't scare me much.

But this one afternoon I'm getting a little overheated on a hunt, so I sat down on this big rock. ###I'm sitting there relaxing, looking for any deer stupid enough to ignore my smell, when I notice something moving beside my foot. ###I look down, and creeping out from under the rock is a three foot rattler... easing right between my legs. ###I didn't wanna shoot and spook the game, so I sat real still til he was gone. ###Then I went back to camp and laid down for a while. ###Thought I might need to change my britches.

spectr17
08-10-2001, 07:39 PM
Why I don't play with snakes.

http://userweb.lightspeed.net/snakes/timber.html

QALHNTR
08-13-2001, 09:07 AM
After that fun look at rattlesnake trauma, I'll start wearing my snake gators again.