PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Turkey Hunter

coachdog
11-28-2001, 04:35 PM
I want to give the gobblers a try this Spring in California. Trouble is I've never hunted them before. I've been after all the Upland Birds, Waterfowl, and Deer, but feel like I'm missing out on some of the most rewarding hunting there is. Can anyone give me some advice regarding selecting a good call, choosing a good load for my 11-87 Premier, general areas around Los Padres National Forest, etc. There's been some super info posted here so I know I've come to the right people. Please don't get the wrong idea, I'm not looking to scam anyone's sweet spots or anything, I'm just trying to get a few more tips before I start beating the trails.

Thanks a lot!

Fubar
11-28-2001, 06:15 PM
coachdog ###Welcome to jesses Forum. You sure did come to the right place. I love turkey hunting and like to talk about it just as much. I dont know where you are from in So Cal but there are a lot of sporting goods stores that have Spring turkey hunting seminars. These usually cover everything about turkey hunting including places to go to bag your turkey. When looking for places to go you can also contact DFG biologists in the area you want to hunt.
I would also suggest you look at Jesses hunting page. He covers just about everything you need to know. You should have a full set of camo including mask and gloves. You should have a 12 guage preferably shooting 3 in or 3.5 in shells with 4, 5, or 6 shot with loads made specifically for turkeys. I know some guys shoot them with 20 guages or whatever and it can be done, but I recommend a minimum of a 12 ga. I have killed them with lesser guns and smaller shells but you have to call them in closer. Your gun should have a Full choke or tighter and you MUST pattern your gun to see where it shoots. Some guns will not shoot where you are aiming. Patterning your gun will also tell you how your gun shoots different brands of ammo and how far YOUR gun will shoot effectively. You can get some turkey targets or make your own. I save all my targets I shoot at and write down all the info, Brand, size shot , distance, choke, etc for future reference. After you do all this all you need is a hunting license and an upland bird stamp and you are ready. Get a call and call one in. Major emphasis should be placed on safety when turkey hunting. You are in the woods making the sound of the game you are after wearing camo. Check out Jesses hunting page and then let us know of any other questions and I know the guys in here will be glad to help. ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### Fubar

spectr17
12-02-2001, 12:57 AM
coachdog,

Welcome to our forum and the great sport of hunting turkeys.

I have a webpage with info on California turkey hunting at http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/calturkey.html

Gilles
12-05-2001, 01:22 PM
A good turkey call that worked for me was an H.S. Strut box call. It should have a boss hen call on one side and an old gobbler call on the other side.