PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call

NealLauderman
10-28-2004, 08:00 PM
Come on fellas theres never any activity in here, lets see who is from VA and where you hunt.

I am from Va. Beach and I hunt in Chesapeake but also head down to Caroline County and Fort AP Hill.

rickyc
10-31-2004, 07:17 PM
yep this spot is dead I have wondered also where the posters in va were. I hunt s.w. va. wise county on national forest lands. this season has been the slowest I've ever had...thinking about starting a new club it's gonna be called the NOSEE'UMS hope for everyone elses sake they can't join!! lol

20hornet
11-01-2004, 07:16 AM
I live in rockingham co. I've seen does every time out. I think the warm weather and the and the high doe to buck ratio (5 to 1) is keeping the big boys from moving around.
good luck http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smiley-faces-toast-beers.gif http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smiley-faces-toast-beers.gif http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smiley-faces-toast-beers.gif

20hornet

pocomoke
11-01-2004, 08:54 AM
Have been working on my pops cabin in Rockingham co the last few months.It has really went to pieces but we got it back together now.I made it down last year for 1 day of hunting but will be putting in more time this year.Ready to go for next weeks blackpowder.

Drove the mountain trails of bluehole in bergton and hogpen near fulks run and did a lot of walking and scouting as well this past weekend.Did not see a single deer but weather was 80 so they were not moving much.

Put up a feeder in the yard of cabin to get some pics with a digital trail cam.After only 1 day the deer found it and had pics of several does on saturday night and a bear on sunday morning.Bear come in at 7:25am and stuck around till 8.We did not get up till 9 and I checked cam on way to outhouse and he had been there an hour earlier.I will put up a few pics shortly on this post.

Incidentally so I dont ruffle any feathers,the feeder was put up just to get some pics of the deer in the area.We will not be doing any hunting here.We do most of our hunting at church mountain,hogpen and bluehole...

20hornet
11-11-2004, 01:57 PM
pocomoke,

have you had any luck at you fathers cabin.
have you down loaded the bear pics?
if you make it down to bennies beach let me know I&#39;ll buy the first round
(coffee or http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smiley-faces-toast-beers.gif )

good luck

20hornet

Mike Walker
11-19-2004, 09:25 AM
http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smiley-peta-sucks-sign.gif I hunt in Virginia beach and just about anywhere I can go.. I just recently lost my hunting land in virginia beach. And all mY hunting buddies have moved north... Needless to say hunting options are running out for me locally. Looking for decent hunt club to join, preferably still hunting only. Can any one help

Lost in virginia beach!!!!!!!!!

BUSTEDKNEE
05-31-2006, 12:15 PM
Here!

I grew up hunting around Draper. I&#39;ve been in Alaska since 1975 but plan to return to Virginia when I retire (Franklin county).

I hunted a few times in VA over the years since I left. Pulaski, Grayson, and Floyd county.

Last year I was working a detail in Washington DC when turkey season opened.

I took a couple days off and hunted my place near Rocky Mount. I scouted a full day then was in place before first light.
Two hours into the season I had a 22-pounder on the ground.
This had to be the best Turkey Hunt I have ever experienced.

I have missed the hardwoods, hidden springs, autumn leaves, whitetail deer, and turkey throughout the years. I&#39;m looking forward to some laid-back hunting.

308 Sniper
06-30-2006, 09:52 AM
I hunt up in Northern VA (close to home). Sure arent alot of VA hunters here.

bigdaddyk
07-27-2006, 10:08 AM
I to check the forums from the site in Michigan were I am from. They are also dead up there. I am in the Marine Corps and transfered to Quantico a year and a half ago. The deer hunting here is great. I scored on 10 last season, two nice bucks and 8 does. My trail cams have pinned down 4 record book bucks here on base, that I am hoping I can get a chance to get a shot this season. I know that I am not from VA, but I talked to many hunters on this forum in CA when I was station there. I went on many hunting trips at Vandenberg for hogs. Man what a time that was, 15 Hogs in two years. http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smiley-faces-toast-beers.gif

308 Sniper
07-27-2006, 10:34 AM
Hey bigdaddy how is the hunting on base?

bigdaddyk
07-27-2006, 12:42 PM
Snyper, I have to say the hunting here is super. Like I said I have 4 BIG bucks scouted out. If I can put myself in the right spot at the right time and then make the shot, this season will be a grand one. The deer are here that is for sure.

VA_varminter
08-02-2006, 05:03 PM
Helloooo All,

Bran spankin new to the group and new to guns since I just purchased a Savage 17HMR this past weekend.

I live in the Tidewater area and I am looking to get into varminting as long as its within driving distance. Once I get a scope I will be eager to get into the varmints and I am looking for info on where to go.

Hope to learn a lot in this group and from you more experienced people.

qaz
02-26-2007, 10:41 AM
I live in and hunt rockingham county. I also hunt in augusta and page county. I enjoy hunting coyotes, fox, ground hogs and wing shooting pigeons. If any one else does this and want to compare notes, let me know.

Qaz

VA_varminter
03-05-2007, 08:37 AM
Gaz

I am trying to get a centerfire rifle in the next month or two and am planning on heading out west in VA to hunt coyotes and groundhogs etc. Are the bounties still available out west over in your area? Is there any public land available to varmint in or is it mostly private land? I would appreciate your input.

qaz
03-06-2007, 07:01 AM
Va- The only public land is National forest. Unfortunately most farm land is inaccessible because of the amount of growth in this area. Too many subdivisions popping up. Centerfire rifles, unless it is something like a 22 Hornet is frowned upon by most farmers, because of the noise and the liability it brings. That is one of the reasons that I suggested the use of a shotgun to you when you posted for suggestions. You will find this to be more true as more land is developed. Long live the 22 mag and 17HMR in these areas.

Coyotes- You will find as many have, that to hunt coyotes in the western part of Va, you will need to hunt at night. To get permission to hunt a farm at night without knowing the farmer is nil. I have never been able to call them in at day break either. Most coyotes in this part of the state have been educated. They don&#39;t move much until dark and keep to the shrubs and trees. I called in six coyotes last year, killed 0. Why, because 2 circled me and caught my sent before I could swing a light on him to shoot. One came in so fast he was in my lap and I mean five feet before I could move, he was at full speed when he broke cover. A rifle does little good when this happens. This year I started carrying a shot gun. The four that I called in hung up out at 150-200yds. I could not coax them in any closer. One I scouted and knew exactly where he would be coming in at. He was using a depression to travel into the farm and I set-up and started calling. He came in alright, but was shot 150yds or so up the gully by someone else on the next farm.
People tell you that if you see fox on the property, there are no coyotes. This is not true, I have watched on two occations coyotes run down and kill a fox. The reason you are seeing fox is because the coyotes have not caught up to then yet.

GroundHogs- My favorite, they are almost exclusively found in pasture land. You may track one down in the national forest, but it is rare. Varmint hunting has become so popular that it is now hard to get farms to shoot on, because the farmer has a friend that does it. Varmint hunters are very closed mouthed about where they hunt. Every place that I hunt, I have been asked to because I do it to kill every ground hog on the place. A lot of guys leave some GH on the place, I kill them all and am happy to do it. I am doing it to get rid of them so the holes can be filled up. If I enjoy shooting them, that is just a side benefit.

Qaz

qaz
03-07-2007, 05:24 AM
VA- Sorry I did not answer your questions. Although the bounty is still on, I have been told the counties have run out of money again this year. I am starting to see groundhogs but they are far and few between. They will really start showing their face in May with the warm weather.

Qaz

VA_varminter
03-07-2007, 10:43 AM
QAZ thanks for the input. Its depressing to me to find it so hard to be able to get on private property I mean shouldn&#39;t all or most of the farmers be in the &#39;trying to get rid of &#39;em&#39; mode? I guess its like you said they probably have friends that take care of their properties by helping them get rid of pests. The reason I was looking to get a centerfire is that I could pop a coyote, fox etc. at a distance without having to really worry about range but then again if the cover is dense I guess I wouldn&#39;t be able to see them that far away anyways. The reason I would dislike public land is that there are crazies out there who shoot at a sound in the brush etc. without giving it a second thought. I will have to look for areas that are not popular for deer and turkey etc. and try to limit myself to small game. I don&#39;t know any farmers so my chances are probably very small I live over by the water so its mostly built up on this end of the state.

VA

qaz
03-12-2007, 05:33 AM
Va- You were talking about getting a 7mm-08 and shooting coyotes and ground hogs. That is part of the problem now; too many people living in the rural areas now, people using these big boomers because that is the gun that they have. I attribute at least some of this to the magnum craze and the idiots on the internet that make recommendations about firearms and do not know the people they are recommending them to.

I have shot more groundhog with a 17HMR than any other gun I own. For me, it is one shot effective out to 200yds. It is a quiet round and does not bother the neighbors surrounding the farms that I hunt. I hunt alot at night for fox and coyotes, and limit my shots to 100yds and the HMR is great for that. The 22 Hornet is another great little round, like a 22 Mag on steroids and is even a better choice. It is a 200yd gun for the groundhog and will put a coyote down at 150yds. I find it is easier to gain access to property to hunt if the owner isn&#39;t worried about being shot by a high powered rifle. Remember, enough complaints by the surrounding property owners can also stop you from going back.

My first year I hunted one farm, I could only use a 22LR. I killed 24 Ground hogs and I loved it. I had to actually hunt them and not sit back and snipe them with a centerfire. Several of the neighbors have thanked me for how quietly I hunt them. I use the HMR now and no one knows the difference.

Qaz

VA_varminter
03-25-2007, 06:22 PM
QAZ once again thanks for the input.

I mainly wanted a 7-08 so I could use it as double duty for varmints such as yotes, groundhogs etc and then be able to use it for whitetail, I guess I tend to exaggerate things but its scary when I think I could be out trying to tag the things with a 22lr or 17hmr and then be approached by a bear etc. while I&#39;m out in the woods.

By the way I have a 22lr and a 17hmr so that was good input on the noise issue. I ended up getting a 270win and a 12gauge recently the 270 seemed to have a bigger selection on ammo at EVERY store I went to whereas the 7-08 only had one offering at each of those stores. For now I will buy commercial maybe I will get into the reloading thing later. The 270 has a muzzle brake so it literally sounds like a cannon I will see what it sounds like without one or with the nonbrake alternative.

Wish I was a couple hundred miles closer to you and we could meet up for a hunt a time or ten!

LexVegas
04-13-2007, 09:06 AM
I&#39;m from Va, I hunt mostly in Highland Co. and sometimes get down to Rockbridge.

Turkey starts this weekend, can&#39;t wait. http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smiley-jhp-rocks.gif

WVUADAM
06-13-2007, 12:08 PM
From Northern Virginia. Looking for access to a dove field in northern part of the state. I do most of my gun hunting in Highland County and my bowhunting in Farifax.

toytruck
12-22-2007, 07:27 AM
Howdy,
I&#39;m from Harrisonburg, hunt here and Highland, Augusta,Rockbridge and Amherst. Had a good season so far, small rack 8 pt in Fulks Run, 3 pt in Amherst and Bbuck in Highland (thought it was a doe).

This spot is slow, would like to see more posts. Happy Holidays!!

toytruck
01-04-2008, 05:27 PM
Well, turns out I killed another button buck in Highland Co. dang it!! Had a single big doe come out, but she knew I was there and wouldn&#39;t give me a shot, then later another doe with the little buck walked across the ridge and I got it. Encore with 300 gr. XTP&#39;s did a good job too!

jaimeb831
08-19-2009, 01:42 PM
Hi guys, I'm a Marine original from Cali, but just got stationed in D.C. I'm going to try do some hunting at Quantico this year and see how that goes. I've hunted in California, Utah and Colorado, and I've taken a couple of bucks, and numerous of hogs, one which weighed 305 field dress. Hogs is my favorite animal to hunt, but I heard there's none here so I guess deer will have to do. I'm also looking for some new hunting buddies since all my friends are back in California.