PDA

View Full Version : san gabriel river

Fly Slinger
07-10-2001, 10:38 PM
i was wondering if anyone has fished the west fork san gabriel river. ###ive fished the east fork many times, but i heard the west for is better if you hike back in the canyon. ###plus i heard that its fly fishable...where the east fork has too much cover. ###thanks for all the info! ###

Fubar
07-10-2001, 11:34 PM
Fly Slinger ###Welcome to the Forum. You are not too far from me. I am in Bellflower. I havnt fished the river for years but i have a friend that does. I will check with him. I have fished in the Santa Ana river a little. If you get there after they plant its ok. ### ### ### ###Fubar

spectr17
07-11-2001, 12:56 PM
Fly Slinger,

Welcome to the forum. I work up in the mountians there and the west fork is better for fishing and less crowded. You have to park at the locked gate , so a bike would be great to get way back up the canyon easier. I usually see a fly fisherman or two way up towards Cogswell Dam.

Handcapped persons can get a key to let them in the gate, so if you have a friend who is handicapped and would like to spend a great day in the mountains, you could call the L.A.County DPW to see about access. The river is pretty brushy and has many trees overhanging the water but there are several places you can sling a fly.