View Full Version : Drug Convictions Put Poachers in Jail

03-17-2004, 05:21 AM

Charlottesville, VA - A father and his two adult sons from Craigsville, Virginia, were sentenced in federal court yesterday after being found guilty of violations of the Federal Conspiracy Law. Franklin Edward Woods, and his sons, Bruce Edward Woods and Mark Wayne Woods had been indicted for conspiracy to distribute and possess with the intent to distribute methamphetamine. Franklin Edward Woods was sentenced to six and one-half years in prison. Bruce Edward Woods was sentenced to 37 years and four months jail time and ordered by the court to pay $300. Mark Wayne Woods was sentenced to 94 years jail time and ordered by the court to pay $975. Bruce Woods and Mark Woods had also been found guilty of numerous federal firearms charges. They had been facing possible sentences of life in prison. The charges stemmed from a joint multi-agency investigation, which included Game Wardens with the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries' Special Law Enforcement Assistance Patrol (SLAP); Special Agents from the U S. Department of Justice's Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF); the U.S. Marshal's Service Western District; and Investigators John Sholes and Josh Sholes from the Augusta County Sheriff's Office; SWAT units from the Augusta County Sheriff’s Office and Staunton Police Department assisted in the arrests. The investigation began in 2002 with the Augusta County Sheriff’s Office investigating the Woods for alleged drug charges and the SLAP Team from the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries investigating the Woods for numerous alleged wildlife violations including spotlighting and hunting during closed season. As the investigation continued the ATF was contacted through cooperation with the U.S. Marshal’s Service. The ATF then became the lead agency with Special Agent Scott Fairburn leading the investigation. This investigation concluded with the arrests of Franklin Woods, Bruce Woods and Mark Woods in June 2003 Assistant U.S. Attorney William Gould of the U.S. Attorney’s Office Western District of Virginia prosecuted the case. The successful outcome of this investigation is due to extensive coordination and cooperation between local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies.