View Full Version : Update on Girl attacked by Deer

10-18-2003, 01:59 AM
Update on Girl attacked by Deer

Girl hurt by deer back in school



Montana Holland’s Darlington Middle School locker was decorated with notes and get-well cards when she returned to school Monday, just two weeks after she was severely gored by a deer near her Calhoun home.

And Montana said those decorations helped her make it through her first day back since the accident. “It made me feel really good to know that people actually cared. I was kind of nervous (about going back to school) because I was afraid people would be helping me, and I didn’t want people to see me like I needed help,” she said.

Montana, 11, suffered several puncture wounds, a broken arm and a broken thumb in the Sept. 21 attack that sent her to T.C. Williams Children’s Hospital.

“She’s been doing pretty good since she came home,” said Deb Holland, Montana’s mother. “She’s starting to get some of her spunk back.”

Holland said Montana was a little nervous despite the welcome from her friends and teachers. “She was a little apprehensive about going back, but everyone has been so accommodating. I felt like it would be good for her to get back to class.”

And going back was a good experience, said Montana, who now sports a lime green cast on one arm and a turquoise cast on the other. “I liked it (her first day back). I was excited to see my friends. My casts are covered in names.”

But the colorful casts are sometimes a burden, her mother said. “It’s going to be tough for her until the casts come off her arms,” Holland said. “She wanted to go to church last week, but I told her it was too soon. She started crying because she really wanted to go, but some of her friends from Calhoun First Baptist came over to see her.”

Montana was attacked by a tame deer that was kept in a pen near the 500 Ridgewood Drive home of her father Toby Holland. She and a friend went to see the deer, and Montana entered the pen, where the buck charged her. Her friend, Allie Evans of Rome, screamed and threw rocks to distract the deer, and Montana was able to climb over the fence.

She sustained 10 cuts in the attack, including a 1˝-inch gash in her esophagus from an antler that went down her throat and broke an arm and a thumb.

The deer, which had been raised in captivity, was euthanized by Georgia wildlife officials.

Jim Thompson
10-20-2003, 12:45 PM
Once again a reason not to keep wild animals as pets.