PDA

View Full Version : No joke... comic Foxworthy purchases land from

spectr17
07-25-2003, 02:07 PM
Jul. 25, 2003

No joke... comic Foxworthy purchases land from Callaway

2,000 acres to be used as hunting, fishing preserve

BY HARRY FRANKLIN, Columbus Ledger-Enquirer

Comedian Jeff Foxworthy and his wife, Pamela Foxworthy, have just acquired their own family hunting and fishing preserve in Harris County.

The Foxworthys bought 2,000 acres of farmland and woodland from Harris County businessman Cason J. Callaway Jr. and his family partnership, Callaway Lakes LP. Closing on the purchase of land that stretches from Georgia Highway 116 east of Interstate 185 and extends north to Hopewell Church Road took place Wednesday morning in Atlanta. The property lies mostly between Callaway Road and Massey Bridge Road. The price of the land was not disclosed.

"He's very excited to have the property," said Phebe Robertson, Callaway's daughter, who attended the closing. "He likes to spend time here. I think he wants to continue his pursuit of archery. He practices archery in his back yard. He'll have a little more room to practice."

Robertson said Foxworthy and his family "are real nature lovers. His family had a farm when he grew up. He and his wife, Pamela, have two daughters, ages 11 and 9. It means a lot to him to be able to give this farm to his children."

She describes the land as "2,000 acres of wooded, rolling hills with streams, two lakes and a pond. It comes with a small amount of wetlands, lowlands and includes an historic, octagonal barn built by my grandfather, one of three in the county. It includes some pasture land, farm barns, kennels and grain silos."

The octagonal barn has been renovated and turned into a lodge that can sleep 21 people.

The purchase ensures that California developer Bill Phillips will not develop a golf resort community called Heritage at Callaway Farms on the property. He once had a contract with Callaway to do the resort project.

"Bill Phillips did a beautiful job in planning a golf resort community," Callaway said. "But the week we were to meet with the financial partners was the week beginning Sept. 11, 2001, and all financing seemed to dry up at that moment."

Foxworthy sees tract

Glenn Garner, who manages the Callaway family property, introduced Foxworthy to the land in the late 1990s.

"Part of the reason he's buying it is our relationship," Garner said Thursday. "He came to my house four or five years ago with his daughter. I got him to come down to Mr. Callaway's property to hunt with us a few times."

Garner said he didn't start talking seriously with Foxworthy about the Callaway land until he was sure Callaway would consider another offer. For more than 2 1/2 years, Callaway worked with Phillips.

"Jeff is eat up with deer hunting," said Garner, who will manage the land for Foxworthy. "His interest is in growing big deer, in making wildlife more abundant. He will continue a little quail management and is interested in deer, turkey and quail."

He said Foxworthy is "a great guy to be around. He and I share the same interests in a lot we do."

Robertson said Foxworthy is a dedicated family man and "extremely pleasant, easygoing, sincere and seems to have an honest affection and respect for nature. He drives a carpool every day. He's fortunate he has a very flexible schedule."

Callaway worked with developers nearly a decade in efforts to establish a planned community on the 4,000 acres. He also has a contract from a businessman to buy 750 acres of the 4,000-acre tract, and a third contract to buy 1,074 acres. He has not disclosed the potential buyers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contact Harry Franklin at (706) 571-8521 or hfranklin@ledger-enquirer.com