PDA

View Full Version : Bear Caught in Metro Neighborhood

spectr17
07-01-2003, 07:22 PM
Bear Caught in Metro Neighborhood

Valerie Hoff, NBC 11

7/1/2003

The bear is estimated to weigh between 100 and 125 pounds.

The bear was caught after being shot by tranquilizer darts.

Atlanta police and wildlife officers captured a bear Monday evening that had been spotted in various metro areas over the past few days.

The animal was spotted in the area of Moreland and Glenwood avenues, south of I-20 earlier in the day. Four state Department of Natural Resources officials, armed with dart guns, tranquilized the animal in the Grant Park neighborhood in the early evening hours.

“She was in some very thick cover down here near I-20 and we waited on her for a long time…We got some guys to push her away form I-20 and we were able to get a couple of clean shots from the tranquilizer gun,“ said Don McGowan of the DNR.

The bear is going to be monitored overnight at one of the DNR facilities and she is expected to be incorporated into a study of black bears that is ongoing in central Georgia, according to McGowan.

The animal is a female estimated to be a about 1-year-old, having been born last spring, and weighing between 100 and 125 pounds, authorities said.

A DNR spokesman confirmed that the bear is likely the same animal first spotted in McDonough last Wednesday. Spottings were reported over the following days in Stockbridge and then Forest Park before she turned up closer to Atlanta Monday.

Officers said the bear probably wandered off the Ocmulgee Wildlife Preserve near Macon.

Some residents expressed disbelief that there was a bear in their neighborhood earlier in the day.

“What is a bear doing in my parking lot?” said resident Alan Freeman while laughing. “I mean, you can see the City of Atlanta in the background and there is large black bear walking through the parking lot. Those two pictures just didn’t add up.

RutnNStrutn
07-02-2003, 11:07 AM
That&#39;s happening on a regular basis down here in Florida too. There are a lot more bears that the powers that be want to let on. But they keep them on the Endangered List so they can control and lock out sportsmen from state lands. http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smiley-soapbox.gif

Jim Thompson
07-03-2003, 08:04 PM
We have bear season in GA...just not in the metro area http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smiley-biggrin-aqua.gif

Every year we have one or 2 migrate into one of the metro atlanta counties.

Jim