PDA

View Full Version : Earthworms and catfish

Invalid_access
05-03-2003, 06:23 PM
How do you catch earthworms. I have always wanted to know. I see people using them on trotlines and they catch some huge flatheads, but they will never tell me how. Anyone know. http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smiley-dancin-red.gif

Mnfshrman
05-03-2003, 08:00 PM
When you say Earthworms, are you talking about night crawlers?

David

scoobysteve
01-23-2004, 05:54 AM
Here&#39;s how I do it in S. AR. Find a place in the woods that has lots of leaf cover on the ground and is fairly moist under the leaves. rake the leaves back and there they are. Sometimes you may have to do this at night when it&#39;s a bit cooler. But the place I go to has lots of those big crawlers.
Another way is to take a wooden stake in the same type are and start driving it into the ground causing vibration. The vibration brings them to the surface. One other way similar is to say a sapling down leaving about 2 feet of the base standing. Using a hand saw, saw into the stump from the top, flat surface, straight toward the ground. This causes that same vibration. My uncle from AL taught me that when I was a youngin&#39;. He called it fiddling for worms....

fishingsetx
01-29-2004, 01:59 PM
Laundry detergent and water brings them up too. just mix some soap and water in a few gallon jugs and pour it on the ground in a spot like scooby was talking about. They come to the surface like rockets

clutchkiller
02-01-2004, 01:56 PM
I remember seeing a product for sale in the back of a magazine once. It had a battery and some kind of prod that you would stick in the ground. I guess the electricity would drive the worms out of the soil. I can also remember seeing lots of ads to grow or raise your own earth worms in the back of fishing mags.

clutchkiller
02-01-2004, 08:02 PM
By the way- I&#39;ve caught more cat fish using live minnows than anything else.

FEN13
02-02-2004, 09:30 PM
Always caught big catfish using cut herring.

Loye
03-11-2004, 05:10 PM
Clutchkiller ,where can you buy live minnows in Central Cal(Valley and Coast) ?

Nathan
03-12-2004, 09:12 AM
Loye,

Most of the mariana bait shops have them. I have bought them at a few bait shop in our neck of the woods.

P.S. I like to use chicken liver or mackrel in central coast lakes.

Nathan

Cloak N Dagger
03-12-2004, 08:25 PM
Alewife shad are my preferred bait, but if I want some nightcrawlers I just walk thru the yard or garden with a light and pick &#39;em up. Works best after a rain. If it&#39;s dry, just turn a sprinkler on for about an hour before dark. Then walk out and pick yourself up a few dozen.

Put &#39;em in a container with some loose dirt or peat moss, and put &#39;em in the fridge. They&#39;ll keep a long time. If you&#39;ve got an old fridge in your garage or workshop, it&#39;ll usually keep the missus happier to put &#39;em there.