PDA

View Full Version : Huge Mtn Lion

DonMartin
02-24-2003, 12:39 AM
Jim,

You probably recognize me from AR and other message boards from around the web. We've talked back and forth from time to time, but I recently got an email from a friend in Washington that appears to show YOU with a ridiculously huge Mtn lion.

Send me an email with the story, I'd love to hear more about this giant cat.

If people knew there were predators like that out there, they would just stay home!!

Thanks,
Don Martin
EndlessSafari.com
dcm122170@worldnet.att.net

jjhack
02-24-2003, 08:29 AM
You know it's a strange thing to me. I have been an outdoor writer for 20 years and done 100's of articles for many different magazines. Once in a while Sombody I meet will recognize my name but nobody ever knows who I am when they see me. I guess all my public events are radio, and text with very few public speaking events. Most folks reading an article don't give a rip about the author unless he writes something they really think is stupid. Then they say "what idiot wrote this" and look for the name. When it's a good bit of info they just blow it by. Right? I do that too!

However since the lion everyone seems to know who I am now. I get Emails like this every day, no joke EVERY SINGLE DAY! i get Email saying hey this photo looks like you? did you shoot this "ridiculously huge Mtn lion."

Amazing that 20 years as a writer nobody recognises you, but one big lion and everyone does! I had a fella down the road from me knock on my door last week and say he got this photo in Email and wondered if I was a hunter. I asked him to take another couple steps into the hous and look. His jaw dropped when he saw the walls filled with game from around the world. He was not a hunter but heard the lion was killed near his home, and he recognised me from driving down the road seeing me around the house, I guess.

I am putting together an article for this lion hunt. When it's done I'll let you all know which magazine picks it up. I just wish I had better photo's then I do the hunters camera crapped out and my digital was used in the shop becasue it was miserable out side.

DonMartin
02-25-2003, 06:14 PM
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I recognized the name and not the face.

Let me know how you fare with the magazines, anymore it seems like if you don't buy the space, they could care less about publishing your article.

Don Martin

grtwythunter
02-26-2003, 12:21 PM
jjhack
I saw the pic and story over at predatormasters. Man that thing is awesome. Since I live in CA, taking one of those cats will only be a dream till I get out of here.

Any chance you could put a quickie story and a pic up in the Varmint Forum over here when you get a chance??? I'm sure there's lots of guys here that would enjoy seeing that beast

Congrats,
Scott

MEF
03-11-2003, 05:49 PM
The guys over on go go varmint go forum are all analyzing the pic and the general consensus is that it's a fake. You might want to go there and disprove their theory if it means anything to you.

Speckmisser
03-11-2003, 06:56 PM
Hey Scott,

JJ could do this as well as I, but here's a link to the first bit that showed up, including the pic. Big Lion Thread (http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=8&t=26220)

jjhack
03-11-2003, 09:10 PM
I suppose that somebody who is not making a living from hunting could pull off a faked photo with nothing to lose. To bad for me my business and credibility would be in sorry shape if this was a stunt I pulled for an attraction to my business. I just love to hunt lions and this happens to be a big one.

I guess the fact that they think it's fake is the ultimate compliment. It's actually to big to be real eh?

Well it's a fact that it's 100% real, I'm 5'10" tall and weight 175 pounds. That lion is 201 pounds with an empty stomach. The F&W biologist was here to see the beast and the photo shows my arms clasped around it. If I was gonna go to the trouble of trick photography I would have added a beautiful snowy mountain backdrop. Truth is the film camera my buddy had was not working when we were in the bush, so I took this photo with my digital, in my shop before I skinned him.

If there are those that are skeptical, then so be it. I have it at the tannery and the skull is sitting right here. No Hoax whatsoever. It's not like it's the first lion I have killed! We have taken 18 by these methods and many were between 180-200 pounds. It's not a real stretch for us to kill a big lion now and then. This one green scores in the top ten all time maybe as high as 6 or 7. There will always be those busy bodies who think everything is a hoax. I'm not going to change them with a simple internet post.

MEF
03-12-2003, 07:30 AM
I agree. Anyway, are you going to do a full body mount of that cat? It's awesome.

jjhack
03-12-2003, 10:08 AM
Yes the lion will be lifesize mounted.

I am not famillier with the site you mention. Could you post a link for me. I'm curious how many experts have commented on this photo. It's Amazing that this kind of thing goes on without anyone asking me or Emailing me about it. My Email is easy to find and my web site is visited regular as seen by the counter. I'm not hiding or difficult to locate.........am I?!

MEF
03-12-2003, 07:15 PM
Here it is: www.varminthunters.com/forums/ggvg/index.html

The thread number is 203636. I think that because of photo shop and things that people do with pictures it makes any photo hard to believe any more. Most of the guys on that site seem to be decent people and they were trying to figure out how or why or even if the picture was a hoax. It truly is a huge cat, I'd probably pass out if I called in a cat that size!

jjhack
03-12-2003, 07:41 PM
I apologize if this seems complicated for me but I just visited the site and I cannot see anyplace where the thread number you posted is indicated, and I cannot find anything in the search function for the thread mentioned. I guess that site is just to complicated for me? Seems like a very simple software package but I sure cannot find anything to do with the lion we shot?

grtwythunter
03-12-2003, 08:01 PM
Here ya go JJ........ http://www.varminthunters.com/forums/ggvg/...sts/203636.html (http://www.varminthunters.com/forums/ggvg/posts/203636.html)

Better take a Valium before you head over there.

Scott