PDA

View Full Version : Video Questions Hunting

MBullism
01-21-2003, 09:50 AM
Video questions hunting on Pisgah
Tuesday, January 21, 2003

By Scott J. Croteau
Telegram & Gazette Staff

NORTHBORO-- A local art student's documentary that focuses on the appropriateness of hunting in the suburbs has received a little more attention that he expected.
Brooks Garner, the creator of “Mount Pisgah: Enter At Your Own Risk,” recently received a phone call from a animal rights group based in Washington, D.C., asking for a copy of his video.
The call was a surprise for the 23-year-old film major at the Massachusetts College of Art, considering that his 20-minute video had played only on Northboro's cable access channel, where it has been shown since late last year.
When Mr. Garner asked the representative of the animal rights group why it was so interested in his video, he received another surprise.
His name was now surfacing on the U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance Web site that advances the rights of hunters, fishermen, trappers and scientific wildlife management professionals.
“I was told I had been recognized as a national voice and an antihunter,” Mr. Garner said. “I was like, whoa, this is crazy.”
Elizabeth E. Ruth, associate director of communications for the U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, said Mr. Garner was mentioned on the Web site and in an article that was sent nationwide to the group's members, including 530 active members in Massachusetts.
The group wanted sportsmen in the area to know about the video and asked them to educate people about the safety of hunting, Ms. Ruth said from her Columbus, Ohio, office. She said that in 2000 there were 91 fatal hunting accidents out of an estimated 13 million hunters nationwide. She said that people are four times more likely to be killed while swimming than while hunting.
Susan Brackett, the town's assistant engineer and conservation agent, said no hunting-related accidents have occurred at Mount Pisgah, which consists of about 180 acres bordering Berlin along Smith Road.
To hunt at the site, people need permission from the town Conservation Commission, Ms. Brackett said. She said that she has not seen Mr. Garner's documentary.
Mr. Garner does not oppose hunting. He believes that it helps control animal populations. But he does oppose hunting near residential areas.
In his video, Mr. Garner asked several people at Mount Pisgah whether they were aware hunting is allowed there. Some of those interviewed were mountain biking or walking with their families.
Donald Tipper, a Northboro resident interviewed by Mr. Garner, said he was in the woods one day when he saw a man carrying a crossbow. He said weapons should not be used near homes.
Mr. Tipper said a sign should be posted at trail entrances telling people when the hunting seasons occur.
There is a sign at an approach to the trails that says, “The conservation land at Mount Pisgah is for the enjoyment of Northboro residents for a variety of recreational activities.”
It adds “Enter At Your Own Risk,” followed by references to the state's General Laws and their reference numbers. Those laws refer to hunting.
Ms. Brackett said the sign does tell people there is a possibility of encountering hunters in the woods, but Mr. Garner said the obscure reference to the state's General Laws does not use the word hunting at all.
“I think hunting should be banned in places like Mount Pisgah,” Mr. Garner said. “Northboro is using false logic by saying there has never been an accident. Do we need someone to get killed before we look at this seriously?”
Mr. Garner hopes his video, which continues to air on the local cable assess channel at night, sparks debate and that voters eventually decide whether hunting should be allowed on Mount Pisgah.
The Conservation Commission is not considering the issue anymore, Ms. Brackett said.
“We hashed this over for the past five or six years, and I think the commission feels very comfortable with the decision that they made,” she said.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

skipnoid
01-22-2003, 07:38 PM
Hmmmm, where to start? http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smiley-soapbox.gif

Reference to a crossbow .... obviously he doesn&#39;t know what he&#39;s talking about ... I&#39;m sure it was an ordinary compound bow. Also, "Mr. Garner" (who&#39;s still a kid) doesn&#39;t know the difference, and certainly did not do his homework on the subject of hunting: can&#39;t use crossbows in MA, and anyone who&#39;s breaking the law and is using one isn&#39;t stupid enough to be seen with it in a place like that, right?. So this truly is art as opposed to journalism. Is that spelled right? Well, I guess that&#39;s one more reason why I&#39;m not a journalist! http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smiley-biggrin-aqua.gif

So the guy&#39;s got a bow ... he still has to get in and out of the place right? I&#39;m sure he had a proper permit as well. Like he was "hunting too close to the houses" when he saw this guy ... what an idiot, this Mr. Garner. The guy was probably walking right down the middle of the trail! It&#39;s just too bad he wasn&#39;t draging a big-ole 12 pointer behind him! I can almost guarantee you that it&#39;s the homeowners complaining to the conservation commission to keep the deer from eating all their rhododendrons that even opened this area up to hunting in the first place!

First it says that "Mr. Garner does not oppose hunting" and then towards the end it says “I think hunting should be banned in places like Mount Pisgah,” . So what is it mutton-head? ... huh? What a dope!

Here&#39;s the real insult to us all though: "Do we need someone to get killed before we look at this seriously?” I mean really ... what a dope. Why can&#39;t anyone in the press ever run a story about how ethical the vast majority of us really are? I think Mr. Garner must have breast fed until he was twelve ... maybe older http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/afraid_face.gif .

But there is a silver lining ... see who had the last word: http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smiley-dancin-red.gif

The Conservation Commission is not considering the issue anymore, Ms. Brackett said. “We hashed this over for the past five or six years, and I think the commission feels very comfortable with the decision that they made,” she said.

I must say that I really like Ms. Brackett and the way she handled the whole thing ... sounds like a real pro. http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smiley-bowdown-purple.gif