PDA

View Full Version : Mentor Wanted Looking for hunting mentor around Palmdale/Lancaster area!

afhunter0405
03-29-2014, 05:48 PM
New military guy in the area. CA has me so backwards on all their draws and rules. I am used to whitetail and turkey hunting. I have no idea where to begin out here and looking for anyone to help and a hunting buddy. Someone who can guide me through the draws and point me where to hunt. Seems everyone I have met doesn't want to give too much info. I can help out during duck season, as I belong to a club here.

Please help!

Wrightgsp
03-29-2014, 05:55 PM
I too have been looking for any clubs, posts, whatever. Can't seem to find anything or anyone. I've only hunted upland, but definitely want to hunt waterfowl this coming season, as well as other game, if possible.

afhunter0405
03-29-2014, 08:22 PM
I am just looking for bear or turkey but don't know enough about the area.

Wrightgsp
03-30-2014, 08:56 AM
For bear and turkey, I think your best bet is up near Tehachapi, kernville, maybe further up the Central Valley along the west side of the Sierras.

afhunter0405
03-30-2014, 10:49 AM
I have never been up there and would hate to stumble on private land

the manley
03-30-2014, 11:35 AM
Finding public land to hunt is the most difficult thing. I do have a phone app HUNT (made by GPS Maps) that is somewhat helpful. you have to buy it, I can't remember how much, but it gives you an overlay map showing private land vs. state and fed land. It does not make it clear where you can and can't hunt. I know there are some other GPS based apps, or software you can get. I have not had enough time to look figure out what is best. Maybe I will ask the forum...

Good luck, keep at it

afhunter0405
03-30-2014, 07:35 PM
The even bigger problem is I don't even know how to hunt with spot and stalk or for bears. Used to tree stand hunting.

AFHunter
06-27-2014, 03:20 PM
Hey man, are you at Edwards? I'm actually looking for some help myself. First time ever hunting. I'm hunting ducks on base this year, but would love to get a deer or bear. PM me if you are interested.

Al Fowler
07-03-2014, 05:16 PM
Howdy.... I hunt Upland game ( usually Dove ) and ducks/geese in the Imperial Valley area ( Wister ) and have done so sine about 1974. Welcome to the area .... feel fee t contact me if you are interested in hooking up as a hunting partner... Al ( fowalv@sbcglobal.net )

Al Fowler
07-07-2014, 01:15 PM
Hello.... Welcome home....I've been hunting the Salton Sea Area since 1974 for Dove, Duck and Geese..... Am planning on Dove Hunt in that area leaving on August 30th to return on or about the 3rd of Sept... Will be going for Duck / Geese in November/December.... Have been considering a duck on the Kern Refuge, but have not yet do so... if you'd like to join up, you can contact me at my e-mail at fowalv@sbcgloal.net ... there I a good gun club in your area called "DEESERT MARKSMAN" of which I am a member.

will await your possible response.... Al Fowler

duckfalcon
07-27-2015, 02:15 PM
I got to Edwards this past April. I'm duck hunting this season but am always looking for hunting opportunities. PM me and we can discuss everything hunting and fishing related