PDA

View Full Version : does anyone do falconry?

jbcaptain11
11-17-2013, 09:52 AM
i have just watched some videos on it and thought it would be awesome to watch / do. howe do u get a bird of prey and how much do they cost? how much work is necessary to make it so they don't just fly away and never come back? this would be fun for chukar and pheasant

slanttop357
11-17-2013, 10:55 AM
First you got to pass a test and its a hard one, then you got to have a sponsor or a falconer that takes you under his wing and makes sure you do things right, not sure how long that takes but when your ready for a bird you go out and "capture" a pissed off Red Tail and then the work begins, be prepared to spend sleepless nights with your new found feathered friend so he or she gets to know you, thats only the beginning of a very long process that you must do for your bird, after all is said and done the DFW will come to your home and inspect your bird and everything related to the wellness of your hawk. And yes your hawk could fly away. If you dont have a lot of time time to spend with your bird dont do it. Just to see what your getting yourself into go to the library and read up on a good Falconry book.

eoats
11-17-2013, 06:23 PM
I know of one person who gets to raise falcons from egg to release in the wild. Lots of work & as mentioned the inspections are tough. Even tougher is after 2 years sending that bird off to fend for itself.

slanttop357
11-17-2013, 09:01 PM
I know of one person who get to raise falcons from egg to release in the wild. Lots of work & as mentioned the inspections are tough. Even tougher is after 2 years sending that bird off to fend for itself.You got that right, i took the test 2 times and failed it both times, the DFG gave me one week with my bird and said i would need to give it to my sponsor after that, that was not going to happen i let him go where i caught him that split my heart in half a very very sad day. I went about it the wrong way me and my buddy climbed a 70ft tree to start our adventure if you know what i mean.

jbcaptain11
11-17-2013, 09:31 PM
how do u catch them and i guess I'm never actually going to get into it with those specifications

slanttop357
11-18-2013, 09:28 AM
how do u catch them and i guess I'm never actually going to get into it with those specificationsEither set a mouse/rat or some furry critter out with a net set up to where when the hawk comes down two people pull at the same time and try to catch the Hawk, my buddy and i almost caught one that way or make little snares around a small cadge with a mouse or rat in it and set it out the Hawk will get entangled in it when trying to get the pray.

huntingbret
12-10-2013, 10:33 AM
I used to be a falconer with a red tail hawk. Passed the test the first time and found a sponsor up in Sac who took me under his wings. Trained with him for half a year and while training, we went out and trapped my first bird together. Believe or not, the same night we caught the bird, it was already eating from my hands. Fun sport to get into if you have the time. I was spending too much time with the bird so my lady gave me the ultimate ultimatum.....us or the bird.....so yep, you guessed it, I had to let the bird go after a year of training it and hunting with it. I had it hunting rabbits and was getting close to getting him to go after tree squirrels and pheasants but that time never came cause I had to give it up. But in the near future when my kids are all grown up and I do have more time again, I'll go back and practice the art of falconry again. Many things are involved in the sport and if I were you, I would find someone who is already practicing it and have him tell you about the sport as well as showing you how it's done. Be prepare to spend some money.

slanttop357
12-10-2013, 02:09 PM
Sounds good huntingbret, did you make your own "hood" for your bird if u used one ? i made one but never used it.

huntingbret
12-10-2013, 04:11 PM
Yep, i made several different styles of hood for my bird.