PDA

View Full Version : Mentor Wanted Mentor or hunting buddy. D14 deer and bobcat. SoCal

Bbcsnowman
07-03-2013, 02:40 PM
Just got my hunting license along with deer tags for d-14 and bobcats. I live in the big bear area and really don't know where to start. Would like to learn how to scout. (I.e. what am I looking for.) I have seen quite a few deer this summer already just being out in the woods and 4 wheelin.

solus
07-03-2013, 03:02 PM
Talk to Mtnsammy he said he was trying to do a advanced hunters ed class. He lives up in Big Bear as well. He is a really nice guy. Also Big Bear Discovery center sells a book with CA wild life signs and tracks. :) I believe its called tracks or something similar. Oh and welcome the sight

Aught-SixGuy
07-03-2013, 03:03 PM
Well that's a good start. Scouting involves time in the field, finding water sources, finding feed, trails, etc. D-14 is a rough hunt because of the easy road access and surrounding populace not wanting to go far. Get some good binoculars and a spotting scope, (Binos are fine if you don't have a scope) and get away from roads. I usually try and get at least a mile back in there. Most guys I've seen around there just drive the roads hoping for a buck. We've all done it, and sometimes you get lucky. It took me 7 years to harvest a buck out of D-14. Lots of deer but the bucks are smart. You'll see them mostly early in the morning and late in the evening. In late October, find the does and follow them. They just might lead you to a buck. But it's hard work. Even if you don't see any deer you'll see all kinds of neat country. And I see bobcats all the time. You should be able to connect with one.

Bbcsnowman
07-03-2013, 03:16 PM
I don't mind hiking at all. I went on a four mile hike today and did come across a bobcat, we both came around opposite corners and ran right in to each other. We were looking at each other from 25 ft away. Both of us paused. Then he took off running up the hillside. To bad season wasn't in!

thewolfman
07-03-2013, 03:34 PM
Welcome to the forum....if u live there, u should know all the back roads...especially u said u 4 wheel...if u gonna sit and glass...go to where the burns are at....there's really no ez way except scout and hike...goodluck

Bbcsnowman
07-03-2013, 05:34 PM
Well I guess I'm headed in the right direction as I know big bear quite well from riding dual sports, wheelin and hiking frequently. I guess I'm looking for a hunting buddy, so if anybody has room or is starting out like me hit me up! If anybody hunts anything else up here let me know, I'll try that too! Thanks everyone!!

Aught-SixGuy
07-03-2013, 06:18 PM
Well I won't be doing D-14 til later in November. You're welcome to meet up and hang out.

mtnsammy
09-15-2013, 06:59 AM
Come by my shop anytime. Grumpy Joe's 502 W BB BL BBC. I now have all my maps at the shop and slowly bringing in my Hunting Equipment. Next class is Sat 21st Sept so I have to have show and tell. Anytime I can help out just let me know.

Robbos
09-15-2013, 08:42 AM
Saw a couple nice big Bobcats off of 2N59 in the Silverwood area a few days ago. One had a stare down contest with me for a good minute before he sauntered off slowly.

Aught-SixGuy
09-15-2013, 09:09 AM
There are tons of bobcats!!

Davis6
12-07-2013, 11:11 PM
Aught six guy,

I have heard of alot of deer in the Mojave river area. I do not know from first hand but there is alot of water and food. Have you ever searched there? Also on google maps right above baker it looked like a rock query with possible water in it. Are you familiar with this area? I brooke my back last year as I was training horses for hunting and I am now doing well and am going to be prepared to hunt deer somewhere in So Cal on 2014.

BbcSnowman,
How did your scouting efforts and hunting efforts turn out?