PDA

View Full Version : Need use of 3 or 4 Traditional Muzzleloaders

VMR
06-07-2011, 08:24 AM
This may be a stretch, but I need to try.

I am working with a youth group on June 28th that are participating in a reenactment type trek - youth from Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - near Susanville, CA. We are trying to provide a muzzleloader shooting experience for the youth (about 150).

I need to find some additional muzzleloaders to use for the event. If I could use them for a couple of days, I would really appreciate the help.

Please send me a note if you can help out.

Thanks

slanttop357
06-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Vmr thats a tall order to fill, is it just a reenactment ? or are the youths going to shoot the guns ? i would be hard pressed to let someone shoot my muzzleloader.

VMR
06-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Slanttop357,

Thanks for the reply. I know it is a tall order. Yes, we were hoping to have some of the youth be able to shoot the muzzleloaders. I did get some clarification from the leader on the activity. They will only have 2 hours to complete the activity. With the groups being broken up in "family groups of 10-12 people," I am hoping to get one or two from each "family" the opportunity to shoot a rifle at a target. I would think that with two hours as a limit, I could get 15 -20 of the youth an opportunity to shoot a muzzle loader if I had at least 5 rifles. I have one Hawkins and will probably resort to using some in-line muzzle loaders to fill in if I can't find other traditional rifles.

I totally understand the hesitancy of allowing someone to shoot your rifle. Especially, as these youth will be shooting a rifle for the first time in many cases. I am bringing some Lead Sled's and shooting benches to help.

The reenactment is more related to their entire three day hike/trek. They are going to be using hand carts and such during their hike. The muzzleloader experience is an addition to add some realism and provide some additional experience for the youth.

54hawken
06-08-2011, 09:12 PM
their are some traditional muzzle loadinig clubs in that area, try to get in contact with one of them. Our club participates in safari club youth day in riverside. Check out the links on our webb site may find one that will get you to a club in your area bighornmountainmen.com

VMR
06-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the input. I will check into the clubs. It may be a better fit to just have a demonstration rather than actually having some of the youth shoot - considering the time constraints. I appreciate the help.