PDA

View Full Version : D7 Scouting

ultralite
08-15-2010, 05:24 PM
Just got back from a trip. Saw 10 does between Shaver and Huntington late at night near the road. Saw a big mature bear near Mono Hot Springs. Then I hiked into the high county. Saw some signs, but not much. Spotted a two does. Only saw one Buck and he was mocking me the whole time. He had the perfect spot. It was high on a mountain side drainage. The big fellow had everything within 15ft of his spot. Water, grub, a shady lone pine near denser cover, and a shelf to look out over the whole canyon. I suspect it would take all day to get within range. Near impossible without this buck watching the whole time or at least hearing the approach. Once he saw or heard me coming, I suspect he would just hop over into X9a. At least I saw one, though.

I wonder if the large amounts of snow this past winter has kept some of the bucks from going back up high? Or if it has had an impact on the numbers in D7? Also, what would the some of the preferred browse be in the area? I am a newbie, but an somewhat experienced outdoorsman, so any thoughts would be helpful.

jackrabbit
08-15-2010, 05:37 PM
If that buck you saw up high migrated over to the eastern Sierra wintering grounds last year, then he obviously had to come back westward over the pass to be where you spotted him. On the other hand, if he wintered somewhere on the western Sierra slope, then he just moved up higher on the western slope.

Either way, where there is one buck, there will be others -- you done real good!!!

inline6power
08-29-2010, 02:06 PM
i saw about 25 deer this past weekend above hunington by potters pass but didnt see anything legal. total of 4 spikes and a bunch of does. anyone got any other gerneral spots to check out? trying to get my first D7 archery buck. thanks guys.