PDA

View Full Version : Any falconers in southern cali???

hawkboi23
05-23-2010, 11:56 PM
i been searching for a sponsor for 3 years i passed the state. and just havent been able to locate a sponsor i joined the california hawking club but have to renew my member ship but im trying to find luck anyway i can if anyone thinks they can help pm thanks.!

slanttop357
05-24-2010, 09:48 AM
i been searching for a sponsor for 3 years i passed the state. and just havent been able to locate a sponsor i joined the california hawking club but have to renew my member ship but im trying to find luck anyway i can if anyone thinks they can help pm thanks.!

Good luck on your sponsor, Have you talked to the DFG about this when i tried to pass the test they looked around and found a sponsor for me, you might give them a call see what they say :thumbs up2: just woundering are you going to try and do the wild caught bird ?

hawkboi23
05-24-2010, 10:11 AM
ill give them a call today thanks! i wanted to start off with a AK but after moving to a new house with a bigger back yard i now want a Red tail .i haven't been keeping up with the New laws did They change the apprentice bird trappings yet are apprentice allowed to trap merlins or coops ?

k_rad
05-24-2010, 10:37 AM
This has always facinated me, Slattop, I am impressed...

lote
05-25-2010, 12:57 PM
I heard its hard, good luck!

maf
05-25-2010, 03:30 PM
You are only able to have a passage redtail or kestrel falcon as an apprentice. If you know any falconers in your area i would ask to meet them on some of there hunts this season. This will open the door to other falconers since they usually meet to hunt in groups on weekends. You could put the word out at some of these hunts that you are looking for a sponsor. Also check with or volunteer at a local bird of prey rehabilitation center near you, this could also open some doors to other falconers. good luck and dont give up.
Mike

spectr17
05-25-2010, 08:47 PM
hawkboi23, I posted you request on our Facebook and Twitter accounts to help get the word out. I'm sure someone out there can help.

slanttop357
05-25-2010, 11:24 PM
This has always facinated me, Slattop, I am impressed...

Thank you K-rad i cant even began to tell the stories about me and my buddy Joe raising and carrying for the baby Red tails we caught when we were 18 :skeered:

slanttop357
05-26-2010, 09:01 AM
ill give them a call today thanks! i wanted to start off with a AK but after moving to a new house with a bigger back yard i now want a Red tail .i haven't been keeping up with the New laws did They change the apprentice bird trappings yet are apprentice allowed to trap merlins or coops ?

Your welcome it sounds like maf has some good advice on this topic, I dont know how many books you got on the sport of hawking but you might try the news stands, i picked up 2 from there they were packed full of very important info on hawking, The books had very detailed patterns on making Hoods,And just a lot of stuff i had to learn in short order, also the library had a pretty good amount of reading on this matter. Good luck with the sport of kings.

hawkboi23
05-26-2010, 09:20 AM
thanks spectr17 i appreciate the help! and k rad i have tones of books and American falconry magz i have all my equipment and hides among other things. its always been a dream of mine to become a falconer ever since i was young i would gaze at the skys to watch the red tails soar and the kestrels land on the fences of fields! i almost gave up that dream but im still fighting to make it happen! thanks for all the info k rad !

maf
05-27-2010, 07:32 AM
If you are willing to drive to Norco/Riverside area this season, I run into plenty of Harris Hawkers who meet in the mornings for coffee then hit the fields. Since Im a second year apprentice I cant sponsor you. I will try and answer any questions you may have to help you out. My daughter and I who is sixteen now started a couple of years ago. I will admit she is a better falconer than I. Her passion has always been birds of prey, she begged to volunteer at the bird of prey center in our area at age thirteen. They were reluctant because of her age, but allowed her after her persistance. The bird of prey center organized a morning hunt with a few harris hawkers. After seeing this display of raptor and man hunting together that was it for me, I had to give it a try. There is a huge commitment of time needed. There are a few photos of her and her bird in training a few posts down. Keep me posted on your progress.
Mike

hawkboi23
05-29-2010, 12:50 PM
maf i sent you a pm.