PDA

View Full Version : eagle attacks deer

calpig
05-12-2009, 07:58 PM
While glassing for pigs in february of 09 my friend tells me he see's some deer.So I start looking in the direction he's pointing.As I find the deer my friend starts shouting about an eagle attacking the deer.I told him maybe it was just doing a fly by,he said no it was attacking.I then see a large bird dive at the deer and then fly off.We continued to watch the deer when the eagle reappeared.It hit the deer in the back and hung on as the deer began kicking and ran over the other side of the ridge.We watched for about a half an hour more but did'nt see the eagle or the deer again.I have spent alot of time in the outdoors and have never seen anything like that.I figure I am lucky to have seen this.Has anyone else seen something like this?

H2Ofowler84
05-13-2009, 12:28 AM
I smoked a teal and an eagle came down and took it. I have also had, what i believe was, a catfish eat one of my birds. Its kinda cool to be part of something that half the world misses out on.

pbrdog
05-13-2009, 10:05 AM
When I was on Adak I had an eagle following me around while I was trout fishing. He really wanted my Dolly Vartens. I left him a gut pile but that wasn't good enough. He wanted those trout. They're pretty big when they buzz by your head about a foot away.

.300Savage
06-14-2009, 06:12 PM
i saw a crow and a deer play tag once. the crow would dive bomb the deer and the deer would trot a ways then the deer would run at the crow and it would fly up and around then back down and so on. wierdest part of the thing was this was all at the very back (probly 600-700yds) of the trap range at a shooting range during business

FoCoHugh
06-14-2009, 07:57 PM
Two stories:

I was fishing from a boat at Lake Miramar with two of my boys. We were just trolling and chatting when we heard a huge splash right next to the boat. We were in the middle of the lake. It was a peregrine or hawk or something, diving to take a trout. He got it. It was only about 5 feet from us. Amazing.

Also, while fishing it Idaho's panhandle, we heard a story from an old guy about a lake with a dead tree on the shore, where a bald eagle lived. He told us that if we caught a perch, slapped it on the water, the eagle would come take it. I thought that I had just heard the best tall-tale ever. Except that it was true. Did it. Those birds are huge and quiet. Hearing the bird's wings whisper as it approached, then the "whoosh" as it passed by to get the fish. Amazing.

OK, one more. On a fishing trip to Yellowstone, my buddy and I heard what we thought was a deer fight. We were driving about 30 mph with the windows up. We came to a clearing and saw some elk sparring. I rolled down the window to hear as we watched. It was amazing and loud. They gave us about 5 minutes or more before our being there bothered them enough to leave.

I'll stop now. Great thread.