PDA

View Full Version : Just wonderin', has anyone flown a golden or bald eagle?

spectr17
09-17-2008, 08:58 PM
Just wonderin'l, has anyone flown a golden or bald eagle?

Is it legal or was it ever legal?

Orygun
09-19-2008, 07:08 PM
This spring I was chasing jacks and a golden was working the thermals near us. I sent a volley after a jack that ran over a rise. Ten seconds ;later it came right back over the rise toward me being chased by that eagle. Does that count?

spectr17
09-19-2008, 07:38 PM
Poor rabbit. That's quite the rock and hard place Orygun.

Lead or talons, take your pick.

scr83jp
09-21-2008, 02:50 PM
QUOTE (spectr17 @ Sep 17 2008, 07:58 PM)

Just wonderin'l, has anyone flown a golden or bald eagle?

Is it legal or was it ever legal?

When I was a wildlife mgt student at the Univ of AZ in 1961 one of the guys in our apt had a young golden eagle he was training to hunt.He got caught by the feds in AZ raiding and stealing endangered raptor nests for eggs for a collector,that ended his university career and his USMC deferred enlistment.

jamesmangan
09-23-2008, 01:22 PM
It is legal to use a golden eagle in falconry, however, the falconer must get a special permit in addition to his falconry license. it is very difficult to obtain the eagle permit. Further, the eagles used are usually depredation birds, that is, they are killing livestock or other rancher's animals.

TonyS
10-18-2009, 09:10 PM
When I was in high school I had a friend who was a falconer. He had a monkey-eating eagle and a golden. The golden was so big that to sit the fist and hunt my friend had to strap a 2x4 to his arm as it would sag when the bird sat the fist. (You don't want a golden near your eyes)

I know he had a permit for it.

Lol, I came over one afternoon after a neighborhood cat decided he would eat the birdies sitting out on perches sunning. There were pieces of cat all over the backyard. It took two weeks for my friend to get the birds back on a manageable schedule. They overfed.