PDA

View Full Version : shotgun for the wife

jim in illinois
09-22-2002, 03:16 PM
Good news!!! The wife decided she would like to start going on a few hunting adventures with me this year.
Bad news!!! All my shotguns are just way too big for her. What do you ladies use as far as shotguns. All she will be hunting is Pheasants and Ducks.(for this season anyway)She tried to shoot my 870 at some clays in the backyard but it thumped her pretty good and she really didnt enjoy herself(although she'll never admit it) and I use a remington sp-10 for ducks and geese so it's definitely out of the question. Thanks for any input. Jim

ranchwife
09-22-2002, 10:16 PM
My first gun was a 20 gauge over-under. I loved it because it was light weight, didn&#39;t kick too much, and didn&#39;t have the long barrel that a 12 gauge has. Just make sure when she starts shooting that you show her where to place the gun when she is shooting - women can bruise in very uncomfortable places if the gun ends up in the wrong place . . . http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smiley-hair-raisin-blue.gif Good luck

Icequeen
09-23-2002, 07:51 AM
Great to hear your wife would like to join you...:)

I use a Rem. 870 Express Youth 20guage. It&#39;s smaller, lighter and a lot less recoil but will still take a 3" mag. Has slightly less range, really good pattern out to 40yds., than a 12guage but it serves me well. It&#39;s great in heavy bush because it is smaller and lighter, and you can swing that puppy on a bird fast and furious. Some of the guys had a short laugh over it cause it looks like a toy(beside hubbies 12), but after they tried it, well, they want one too....lol

I&#39;ve taken geese, small game and ducks no prob. We&#39;re off on a hunt for turkey in the spring so will see how it does there too.

GIVEMTHEBLADE
11-12-2002, 01:18 PM
jim in illinois,

I would have to agree w/ ranchwife!!!! 20 ga. o/u!!! It helps to learn safety and you only have 2 shots so you have to consentrate!!!!

JDC
11-14-2002, 06:41 AM
My wife shoots an 1100 20 ga. and loves it! Even with neck problems and a couple surgery&#39;s on her arm, it doesn&#39;t kill her. The 1100 is like shooting a .22. The gas operation really sucks up the recoil.

Nathan
11-14-2002, 07:59 AM
My girl friend just got a 870 express 20ga and it is working out good for her. She stands 4&#39;11&#39;. If you don&#39;t know if your wife is going to take well to the sport you want to stay with a cheaper gun or at least one you can get rid of it things don&#39;t work out. The 870 youth is just that.

The o/u are nice. I want to get one myself. They may not be right for the first gun. An automatic would also make a very nice choice in terms of recoil but it is perrty easy to miss three shots before you know what has happened and cn be expensive to try and sell to your buddy for his kid if it shooting and hunting dosn&#39;t work out.

I also shot the Remington Express in the standard 20ga and it will kill anything you want and is a pleasure to carry.

Nathan

Speckmisser
11-14-2002, 02:25 PM
Something no one has mentioned yet, make sure the gun fits her. A well-fitted 12 ga. is going to suit her a lot better than a poor-fitting 20. If the stock is coming up in the right spot, and her shooting form is good, then it shouldn&#39;t be exceptionally painful for her to shoot a 12.

Unfortunately, especially for women, factory shotguns DON&#39;T come up in the right spot, and usually need to be tailored. Fortunately, this is a relatively cheap process and well worth the cost. I wish Mudwalker was watching the board, because we went through this with the 870 I gave her a couple of years ago. Once she got it cut to fit her, it not only became a lot more fun to shoot, but her shooting really improved as well. She could sure speak from experience on this.

It&#39;s something to think about anyway.

docapi
11-14-2002, 04:40 PM
Went through the same thing with my wife. I ended up going with a mossgerg 500 Bantam in 20 GA. The bantam model has an inch shorter stock and the forearm is set back so it is easier to reach. It also comes with a 20 inch barrel instead of the standard 24 inch. You can also get it in 12 GA. if you prefer. The wife loves hers. The other day I took her out to sight in for deer hunting. shooting 3" magnum rifled slugs she shot up all 35 rounds we had along and was dissaponted when I told her we were out! I actually had to make her take a break because the barrel was getting so hot I was afraid it would warp or something. I kept asking if her shoulder was hurting yet and her reply was always "H--l no! now give me some more shells!"
The only time it hurt her at all was when she got one of her feminine body parts pinched between the butt and the edge of the shooting bench. Made some nasty faces and said some naughty words. Left a pretty nasty bruise too.
I got hers off of gunbroker for $165. Brand new with the bird barrel and 3 screw in chokes. I have seen them at the local gunshops for about the same price.
The only gripe I have with the mossbergs is the loose rattly feeling forearm. That is really a minor thing though.
Other than that, the fit and finish on the gun is really great for that kind of money. Really a purty little gun.
I have always been a remington fan, but after seeing and using hers, I ended up buting a 500 combo for myself, too.

yankeejim
11-14-2002, 05:02 PM
Despite some posts from folks who like the 12 gauge, please start your wife out with a 20 gauge (or 28 if you reload) that has a stock which fits her. If necessary, have a gunsmith custom fit the stock. There is nothing worse than watching someone become gunshy from too much recoil and/or a poorly fitted gun. I would recommend an autoloader (Remington 1100, Franchi, Beretta or Benelli, depending on how much you&#39;re willing to spend). Most women don&#39;t have the upper body strength to handle the weight of a 12 gauge (of course, there are exceptions).
Just my .02,
YJ http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smiley-wavin-yel.gif

Nathan
11-14-2002, 07:22 PM
Speckmisser is right the gun, no matter what it is, must fit or you are wasting your money. It must also be light enough for her to handle.

Nathan

mudwalker
11-15-2002, 09:42 AM
I shoot a 870 myself. Specmisser had given one of his when I first started shooting. I had a hard time with it for the first couple of seasons. Every hunting trip made some nasty bruises on my when I would try to get off a shot at a passing bird and not be able to get the stock into the right spot.

Then I took it to a local gun shop and got it fitted to me. I can not tell you what a difference it made in both my accuracy and my comfort. Now it is easy to bring it up to the right spot and no more bruises. No matter what gun you select for her, make sure it is fitted to her!