PDA

View Full Version : new to spearfishing

scrosby
02-26-2008, 02:59 PM
I have been reading a lot about spearfishing and would like to get into it. I was wondering if you guys could tell me the basic needs for a trip. I would be going out of southern Ca. Any suggestions would be appreciated Thanks!

Suzmar1997
02-27-2008, 04:45 PM
I would suggest you ask this same question on one of the freediving/spearfishing forums (Spearboard.com, Deeperblue.net, etc.) as you will get more replies. I've been doing it for quite awhile and enjoy it more than I do hunting (But not by much). I dive So. Cal and usually hit the islands and do some beach diving. You need a full wetsuit (3mm-5mm), a weight belt, fins, mask and snorkel, gloves, fin socks, knife, a hood and some type of speargun.

If you are just starting out, I would recommend a pole spear as this lets you hoan in on your fish stalking technique. If you can land a majority of the fish with a polespear, chances are you can do quite well with a gun. Once you get your stalking technique down and want to graduate to the bigger fish (White Seabass and Yellowtail) I would go with a gun with either a reel or floatline (I prefer floatline but there's pros & cons for each). As far as what type of gun you should get there's a huge debate for that too. Lots of people like the euro type guns which are rear handle and lightweight. If you go this route you probably want at least a 110cm gun or bigger for bigger fish. Granted, if your shooting reef fish close to the rocks you'll probably want to go 75-90 cm. I prefer wood guns and use a 60" which translates to roughly a 120cm euro gun. My gun is a mid handle and has lots of range and stopping power.

The best way to learn is find a guy with experience and hopefully go w/ him and learn the ropes. Another good way is to join a dive club and get taken under someones wing and learn from the best. There is typically three clubs in the southern CA area (LA Fathomiers, LB Neptunes and the SD Freedivers) and there are pros and cons to each. Look them up on the web and go to a monthly meeting and introduce yourself. It just so happens that I'm a member of the Neptunes and there is an auction next Wed 03/05 where numerous new and used spearfishing items will be auctioned off at rock bottom prices. Might be a great place to pick up a piece of equipment that you don't have yet. Look up the Neptunes and get directions if you're interested. Things usually go for pennies on the dollar. Good luck and be careful.

EvBouret
02-27-2008, 04:57 PM
Gun, Float/Bag/Stringer, Fins, Mask and snorkel, Wetsuit, Weight Belt...Am I forgetting anything? Sometimes a knife is nice to have but I end up never ever using it.

Suzmar1997
02-27-2008, 07:33 PM
Knife is handy in So. CA for cutting a fish out of thick kelp or braining a large fish that still has fight left in him.

SD_headshot
09-19-2008, 12:47 PM
scrosby,
The fastest way to learn is from the old divers.
Sit in on one of the Local dive club meetings, Depending on were you live.
San Diego go to the Sandiegofreedivers.com
In LA go to www.fathomiers.net or http://www.oceanhunters.com/
You do not need to be a member to attend the meeting.
Listen and learn from them.

Pres San Diego Freedivers.
www.Sandiegofreedivers.com