PDA

View Full Version : Hawk Problem

Hendy64
01-07-2008, 05:36 PM
we have a bunch of Redtail and Sparrow hawks that sit on our fences while we try and plant pheasant for our hunters we lose about 6 birds a day due to hawks any one know of a good way to get rid of them i mean we have about 50 of the birds in a 100 acrea area

upper
01-08-2008, 07:05 PM
Over the years there are probably more and better Fortune hunters.The DFg lets some fish farms take out a few Big White, with long legs,Fish eaters every year,(not raptors).My angle would be to trap or somehow catch the main culprits and relocate.You are probably responsible for a bit of the population groth,so you should be able to reduce it in a like manner.Good luck, Upper ,out

raycalvino
01-11-2008, 03:10 PM
That's kind of a tough question. Sparrows hawks are not the problem though. They catch mice and rarely will they catch birds, i.e. sparrows. I suspect the only real raptor predators you have to worry about are of the buteo family. Like red tails and ferruginous hawks. A big female cooper's hawk (aka chicken hawk) may give you problems.

Where are you located? Can you post some pictures of your situation? Do the hawks sit on the fence posts? Do they sit on the power poles? Where are the hawks launching their attacks?

If it were me - off the top of my head - I would use scare tactics. And of of course I would relocate before I would shoot a raptor that was killing my animals.

I used to hunt my red tailed hawk near a game farm. There were several fields near the game farm that I had access which held good numbers of pheasants which were likely escapees. In those fields I never saw any wild hawks going for pheasant. What I did see though, were fox, coyotes, and feral cats. The small mammals can have a devastating effect on game. Make sure you start with them.

If you find the preferred perches of the hawks, simply take them away if you can or make them inaccessible. You can put cones made out of sheet metal on posts. No hawks wants to perch on a sharp cone.

I suppose there are endless possibilites for you solution. Probably the best solution is to have large stringers of blackberry bushes or something that gives good protection.

Keep in mind that there is indeed a good side to having these hawks take some of your pheasant. In the Darwinian sense the more savvy of your game birds will survive and in the end, they will offer the best sport to the hunters on your property. Anyone who has hunted a lot of pheasant knows the difference between a "wild" bird and a game farm bird. Hawks help make your birds wild.

Ray

Hendy64
01-11-2008, 06:36 PM
we are surrounded on all sides by thick trees and an olive grove they sit 2 to 3 birds per tree and the perh in the fields on the ground just waiting. the birds we release are suppose to be killed that day by our hunters not 2 minutes after we let the birds go. i watched today as 3 redtails and a cooper&#39;s (a banded one that some one released on our property without permission) tear apart a rooster. as for the mamals like cyotes are under controll and we havent seen one in a good time now. the sparrow hawks we watch kill our hens and they only eat the heads so the turkey vultures come in and finish the birds off its absolutly amazing how many raptors there are and in the ast 3 days we have seen a big raptor which i think is a golden eagle its about 4x the sizes of a large redtail and a copper brown color looks like a telephone post in the field. all i know are that these things are anoying and no longer fun to watch i wish California would just open a season on them http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smiley-rifle.gif

upper
01-11-2008, 11:40 PM
Good luck to ya Hendy,but rember,it is your fault they are there.Raising the birds is the easy part! Upper

raycalvino
01-14-2008, 09:27 PM
I don&#39;t think you know what a sparrow hawk. No big deal, it&#39;s not really important. Sparrow hawks, have a hard time catching sparrows let alone anything bigger than a sparrow.

It sounds like kind of a ridiculous situation. It&#39;s like shooting fish in the barrel, for the birds, and for you the pheasant hunters.

You may want to charge admission to hawkwatchers - Hendy&#39;s Raptor Farm. With the money you make you can buy a real hunting ranch.

All in all in doesn&#39;t add up.

Ray, easily confused...

scr83jp
01-14-2008, 10:23 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hendy64 @ Jan 7 2008, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=950928)</div>
we have a bunch of Redtail and Sparrow hawks that sit on our fences while we try and plant pheasant for our hunters we lose about 6 birds a day due to hawks any one know of a good way to get rid of them i mean we have about 50 of the birds in a 100 acrea area[/b] The problem is with your releases of pen raised dumb as rocks pheasants who haven&#39;t been conditioned to birds of prey they&#39;ll just sit there & become a meal for the Buteo AKA Buzzard Hawk.When we released pen raised pheasants we&#39;d head to a tree lot or a field with really deep grass & let them out for cover & survival.

Hendy64
01-16-2008, 05:19 PM
the thing is we havent had any real heavy rain this year so cover is slow growing and the damn things are smart they wait until the truck leaves and they swarm the field and it seems to me they work as groups. i will see 3 or 4 all together and they take turns diving onto birds and then the rest all land once somthing is killed its almost funny to watch but i do love watchin a rooster stand up to a hawk and the hawk has no idea what the hell is going on

shoot-it
04-06-2008, 02:13 PM
Well you will have to live with it they are a federally protected bird. I like watching them work a Field of mice and frogs as I am cutting hay they are smart and fast. I swear they will look me in the eye some times when I drive by.