PDA

View Full Version : What are your plans for Tgiving week?

LexVegas
11-16-2007, 08:37 PM
Alright fellow Virginians, what are your plans for Thanksgiving week? I'm going hunting with my Pops on Highland County on Tuesday and Wednesday, and with my brother and my dad on Friday and Saturday. Who else is going out this week?

I&#39;ll be posting pics of any success we have. Let&#39;s liven up this forum some, I know there have to be other hunters from the Old Dominion on this site, right? http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smiley_hunter_fudd.gif

spectr17
11-22-2007, 04:17 PM
Good luck Lex, looking forward to the pics.

LexVegas
11-30-2007, 08:57 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spectr17 @ Nov 22 2007, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=934200)</div>
Good luck Lex, looking forward to the pics.[/b]

Well, my dad I managed to see a total of zero deer on Tuesday and Wednesday. Went back to the property with my brother on Saturday morning, and when we got to the mountain it was 11 degrees--seriously cold. In fact, if it had been windy I&#39;m pretty sure I would&#39;ve lost at least one toe. Toe and hand warmers are truly the most useful invention of the last 20 years.

Anyway, around 10 o&#39;clock a little spike buck came wandering down the ridge I was sitting on and I shot him at around 20 yards (I didn&#39;t see him until he was about 22 yard away, either distracted by trying to stay warm or something). Good shot, low in the chest, ended up taking out one shoulder. He took two steps back the way he was walking and fell head over heels down the ridge about 60 yards straight downhill (not exaggerating--straight down the hill into a creek).

Unfortunately no pics b/c I left by backpack at the side of the road Wednesday afternoon and I didn&#39;t get my camera back until Saturday afternoon, luckily one of the neighbors picked it up for me, or I would&#39;ve lost a nice knife, my binocs and the camera. So, we got some nice sausage and backstraps but no pics, I&#39;ll take that trade any day though. Maybe next year we&#39;ll get a nice rack, according to the neighbor there&#39;s a big boy still wandering around the hills in the area.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the stomach of the deer was FULL of corn, and I&#39;ve made a post in the Whitetail Forum asking for advice on whether to call the warden to investigate feeders in the area--any input would be appreciated.