PDA

View Full Version : tips for calling turkeys with diaphram calls

anthonyakadayday
11-11-2007, 08:28 PM
I just gat a new diaphram call and would like a few tips to practice before i go out this spring

LexVegas
11-12-2007, 09:18 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (anthonyakadayday @ Nov 11 2007, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=928988)</div>
I just gat a new diaphram call and would like a few tips to practice before i go out this spring[/b]

Only tip I can give is just keep practicing. Watch videos so you can hear what real turkeys sound like and how the pros imitate them. Then just keep working at it. I usually keep a diaphragm in my car so I can practice when I&#39;m driving to and from work. If you can get your hands on a tape recorder, record yourself so you can hear what you sound like from a little farther away. Good luck.

Lumpy
11-28-2007, 02:15 PM
I would first just get use to having it in your mouth, a lot of guys gag when they first put it in their mouth, so just carrying it around in your mouth will help you get use to it.
The best thing you could do is to find someone that is expeienced with a mouth call to help you out, also a instuctional video helps out a lot!!!
Oh yeah, pratice, pratice and pratice!!
God Bless

BrandonA
12-11-2007, 05:04 PM
I usually tell people who are starting out to keep it in their mouths and trim if they need to (I mean the fabric not the latex to keep yourself from gagging or let it fit your mouth easier)... Start out with a single reed that&#39;s easy to blow and just make noises lol. It always helps if you have some local birds somewhere you can just drive up and play with them by calling at them

wvbowhunterinalaska
12-23-2007, 11:50 PM
It always helps if you have some local birds somewhere you can just drive up and play with them by calling at them http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/afraid_face.gif

I think that is a very bad idea. You stand a very good chance of educating the birds that you might intend to hunt later on down the road. As far as learning how to call, just get used to making sounds on it and learning not to choke and gag on it. That is the biggest hurdle to overcome. Also get an instructional video you can pick whoever you like. I have always like Primos and Quaker Boy products, but I have tried other companies as well. Good luck and I hope I helped.
WVBOWAK