PDA

View Full Version : Good first half the season at Landelani Lodge

jjhack
06-14-2002, 09:10 AM
### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### I had a busy season having 19 people in the lodge for the first five weeks. Of those 19 people 18 were hunting and we had one "observer". Al of the hunters ended up getting every animal desired with the exception of two warthogs. Don had the unfoirtunate illness cutting his warthog hunting time short at the end of the trip. Canuck and I had many chances to shoot big warthogs but with Eland as the priority we passed on everyone of them. The last day( after the Eland was on the hook) we did not see a warthog meeting our minimum standards.

### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### Over all I had a great time and was able to meet another whole bunch of people from this site and another Afrcia site. It's always a bit of a risk with the various personalities in groups of people hunting together for the first time. I must say all went very well and everyone had a good time getting along quite well. The weather for the first two groups was magnificent. One evening of rain for a few hours and the next day it was dry and sunny again. The last group had nasty cold and rainy weather. The Rain was so bad the roads two and from the lodge were almost un-drivable. The water in the bush also made the hunting much more difficult. I was hearing about the ten day hunt duration from the first and second groups when many of the guys were nearly "tagged out" in 3 days. I assured them the weather plays a huge role in success and that they were having great weather. Sure enough the weather changed and the most recent group struggled for the first 5 days to shoot any game at all. By the 4th or 5th day the weather perked up and shooting was again fantastic. I think in the first two groups I had 10 hunters shoot 12 Kudu and only one was 50", all the rest were bigger. Several were much bigger. Don G's was the biggest and it was either 57 or 58" as I recall. I did not measure it but it's what I remember hearing. We had several huge impala well over RW minimum and Some of the best Blue Wildebeest I have ever seen. Canucks being the oldest bull I have ever seen in my life.

### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### I have a lot of photo's but as those guys who met me can attest I am no Techno wiz with a digital Camera. I have several hundred digital photo's but the effort to post them is more then I can handle right now. I do have them in my hard drive and can Email them. I suggest you have a DSL line or other High speed connection though. I still don't know how to make them smaller files!

### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### For you guys that were there and are interested, we are going to combine the two ###properties on the south side of the road for next year. This will make the bigger consession approx 30% larger and add lots of running water from the mountain streams through the land to a large new dam. As far as the Kudu Rodeo, Well it was quite and ###event! I have severerd the spine on more big game then I can count over the years and never had such a ruckous. Sure there have been the odd blesbok, impala, and bushbuck which seem to come back to life when you stick them with a knife. But the Kudu lifting us both off the ground and falling backwards was a surprise even to me! I may have to rethink this method on game bigger then 250 pounds in the future! Amazing how many things you take for granted and then how surprising the turn of evernts can be. It's all fun and games until somebody gets poked in the eye (or skewered through the torso!). Bad as it was to be on the horns of a bucking Kudu you cannot let go or it's really a problem. sitting here now I guess it's funny but at the time I was not sure if we were going to be shot by our clients or gored by a bull kudu. Considering Chris was there and he is twice the size of both Pieter and I combined, we should have had him hold the bull down. The bull would never have moved him! Figures the two smallest guys are the ones on the Bull with the biggest guy watching! Probably not a good idea for a paying client to ride a kudu anyhow?

### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### We had some long slow stalks to take many of the animals. Those are the parts of the hunt I remember most. When you are "on the edge of your seat" for 2-3 hours just steps away from shooting and the game moves away or will not line up for the shot. When you have been on hands and knees crawling and tring desperately to remain quiet and unstuck in the thorns with the lighest breeze in your favor and the game just yards away. The tension is explosive to say the least. On several hunts we were within 50 yards or less of game that was bedding down and resting. Often at that distance we could only see 5-6 animals but knew there were 20-30 in the herd. The thick bush and crunchy ground cover make this kind of hunt very stressfull and always exciting. It's always the animals your not looking at which blow your cover though. The impala or warthogs you did not care about see you and snort alerting the game your after. We were in many "chess games" in the bush deciding which way to go and when to move. You must ###calculate wind direction and bush conditions for your every move. One mistake and the gap between you and the herd get s big in a hurry. We had many times tracked for hours and hours only to walk up on them while eating peacefully. Then the time comes to sort out the group for trophy quality and hope that the one you want is not shielded by smaller animals in front of behind. Several times after all that work and effort you find no big bulls worth shooting and just have to walk away.

### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### I want to thank every guy who hunted with me, I had as much fun "working" with you and hunting with you as is possible. I really hope we can do it again soon!

jj

Speckmisser
06-14-2002, 11:43 AM
Hey JJ.

If you wanna email some pix my way, I'll be glad to get them posted up for you. ###Just click the email link above my post. ###hunting@elwing.com

jjhack
06-16-2002, 07:00 AM
Here is a link to some of the photo's from the trip.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/review.html?id=4291727349

Speckmisser
06-16-2002, 07:42 AM
Just to "heat up" the link..

http://www.imagestation.com/album/review.html?id=4291727349

spectr17
06-21-2002, 09:47 PM
Welcome back JJ, those are some super pics. I find nothing makes me feel more alive than the stalks you wrote about. It's so primal!

jjhack
09-06-2002, 07:52 AM
I have added a few new photo's to the site from this years hunters.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures...l?id=4291727349 (http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4291727349)