PDA

View Full Version : Illegal hunting

ranchwife
09-19-2001, 08:22 AM
It is my understanding that when you are drawn for a hunting zone that you are required to hunt in that zone only - not the zone that your house is in. ###I recently heard of a man that was drawn for a zone (I'm not sure what one, but the rifle season opened 9/15), but will be hunting in his "back yard" which is an X-zone. ###This is not the first time that this man has done this - and he openly talks about it. ###What is the penalty for breaking the law and hunting in a zone that you weren't drawn for? ###It makes me furious that this man does this. ###He should hunt where he is drawn for. ###If he isn't drawn for his fist choice he shouldn't hunt - at all.
It isn't fair for the people are honest and haven't been drawn for 10 years.

hntndux
09-19-2001, 09:19 AM
Turn him in and then ask him what the fine was. ###I'm sure it'll be pretty steep. ###While I understand his frustration of not getting drawn to hunt in the area he lives in, regulations and quotas are set for a reason and violating those laws affect everybody and he should be penalized for it.

Speckmisser
09-19-2001, 09:30 AM
I don't have the regs handy, but that's really not relevant or important. ###Call the "man" and let him know what's happening. ###The DFG Warden will know the regs, and he'll take care of it.

Goes for anyone who knows someone who's breaking game laws. ###1-888-DFG-CALTIP

It's a hunter's friend!

DanV
09-19-2001, 12:56 PM
I agree with you all but something needs to be done for the landowners in these limited tag areas. It does not seem right that someone with enough acreage to hunt on (not just an acre or even 10) can't get a tag to hunt his own property. These are the instances that I've heard of people using another zone tag for, still its not legal and if whoever gets caught they will have to pay the price.

ranchwife
09-19-2001, 01:41 PM
People that own a specified amount of land can apply for a land-owners tag. ###The acreage has to be on file with fish and game for the land owner to get a tag. ###When the land owner applies, they have to put "land owner" as one of their choices. ###Then if they aren't drawn in the regular drawing, they can reapply for land-owner tags, and hunt on their own land.
The person I referred to in the original post doesn't have enough acregae for land-owner tags - but hunts it anyway. ###

DanV
09-19-2001, 01:45 PM
Sounds fair enough! Any idea how long this has been in effect and what the minimal acreage is?
### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### Thank's, Dan

Bigolwiggler
09-19-2001, 06:02 PM
Cal-Tip is the answer for this guy Ranchlady . I hate to be a "rat", but we all play by the rules , people who dont make things harder on us that do. Guys like this give "real"hunters a bad name. ###

hunter mike
09-19-2001, 06:18 PM
To Dan V: ###The minimum acreage is 640 in an X zone. ###This doesn't have to be continuous. ###You can spread it out over any number of X zones and parcels of land.

This weekend I was scouting/grouse hunting in X4 and seen some people who looked like they were road hunting. ###I wouldn't have been able to prove it but C4 across the highway opened this weekend and who knows. ###That type of thing stinks too.

Sporty
09-21-2001, 10:37 AM
Ditto to Bigolwiggler. I hope you call Caltip and the warden catches this poacher. He's certainly not a hunter.
Good luck to all,
Sporty

Modocer
09-21-2001, 08:29 PM
Mike the 640 acres have to be in one zone. Even if you have land in two zones you can only hunt in one.

Whoadog
09-21-2001, 09:33 PM
###My father has a friend who has a place east of Susanville and he was either one or two acres short of the acreage needed to qualify for a landowner tag. He threatened a lawsuit, for what reason I don't know, and they gave him a tag. ###Really surprised me the F&G giving in.

Brian

doghouse95
09-22-2001, 10:33 AM
I hunt only in the zones I have a tag for, but, a little light goes on in my head when I see people who make it a way of life to pay attention to other peoples business.
For under 30 bucks you can buy a bear tag, and legally hunt in most of northern California. ###Now wouldn't that choke a few people to go to all of that trouble and the DFG couldn't do a damn thing about it.
I have all I can do paying attention to my own life, and keeping me and mine on the right track. ###Going off on a wild goose chase, because, YOU THINK, or SOMEONE SAID, is not something I have time for.

ranchwife
09-22-2001, 02:24 PM
Doghouse, This is not a matter of "I think," or "Someone said" - I know it for a fact and have heard the man talk about it. ###If you don't have time for this, why did you reply?