PDA

View Full Version : Ruger M77R MKII

yotegetter
12-27-2001, 11:28 AM
I've recently had my eyes on the Ruger M77R MKII. I took a look at one over at Turner's and the action is really smooth. Does anyone own one and/or have an opinion on these. I've been looking for a .243 for quite sometime now and the price is right for the Ruger.

Whoadog
12-27-2001, 11:38 AM
###I won one earlier this year at the NRA dinner and it seems like a nice gun but haven't bought a scope for it yet so I haven't shot it. ###The local gunsmith says it has a good action.

Brian

Bill in SD
12-27-2001, 11:48 AM
Yotegetter, I just bought a M77CR MKII in 308 for my wife for Christmas. ###She wants to hunt deer, elk, pigs, and bear with it. ###It is the compact rifle in 308 and it is a good gun. ###I have shot it myself and it is fine. ###

It kicks a bit for my wife and even though it is a compact, the stock is still one inch too long. ###So, I am having an inch taken off of the stock and a thicker recoil pad put on. I am also considering reloading some shells for her to practice and hunt coyotes with.

I bought the gun at Wally World, Walmart for $480. ###I think the other Ruger Rifles are the same price.

I live in San Diego and had the gun ordered at the Santee Store. ###

Some Walmarts special order and others do not.

FYI
Bill

songdog
12-27-2001, 12:22 PM
They're good guns. ###I have one currently and have owned several in the past in .243, .308, 7mm, .338.

Feature for feature you'll find them on par with Winchester and Remington in fit and finish. ###I don't think that anything in the $400-600 range is all that different for the most part. ###Kind of a Ford/Chevy thing.

One thing that Ruger is known for - and depending on who you talk to they'll call it a pro or a con - is that anything will Bill Ruger's name on it tends to be "over built" on the strength side. ###It can make for slightly heavier actions and barrels but it also means just plain tougher. ###Take a Ruger Redhawk and a Smith 29 and shoot way too many hot loads through it and see which one slits the top strap sooner. ###Not that you should try, but it's pretty hard to blow a Ruger up - rifle, pistol or shotgun.

Ruger 77s come with rings which will save you about $50 over a comparable Remchester. ###They also have the controlled feed bolt like the pre 64 and Classic Winchesters. ###Although, unless you're standing on your head while jacking in a new round, I think this is largely a "paper" benefit.

A friend of mine recently bought a stainless Ruger in .243 from Hook and he loves it. ###Really accurate and a solid rifle. ###It would get my vote.

(Edited by songdog at 12:39 pm on Dec. 27, 2001)

yotegetter
12-27-2001, 04:52 PM
Thanks all! I think I will get it.

Hook
12-29-2001, 05:15 PM
I agree the Ruger is a good rifle.

Songdog, Glad to hear your buddy liked the rifle. :)