PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Coyote on Sale

Hook
03-13-2002, 07:20 PM
Wingman, and everyone else who was interested in the Winchester Coyote, like I was, it is on sale at Turners Outdoorsman (http://www.turners.com) for 549.99.

I pickup the one I ordered on the 17th. And I paid more for it. ###:crygreen:

pitdog
03-13-2002, 11:44 PM
Hook,

Which Turners has it again? I thought you said LA ?

I work near the one on Firestone, and live next to the one in Orange.

I hope it's not the one in Riverside or I will be forced to Hunt coyotes the same day I buy the gun. Then I will tell my (future ex) wife I was under a spell due to the exposure to the elements etc..
Ya, thats the ticket. *L*

Thanks Hook I will be on the prowl tomarrow.
Steve

Hook
03-14-2002, 09:45 AM
The one I saw was at the Pasadena store, they might be able to ship it to a Turners close to you, if you ask.

And start thinking up a plan so your wife doesn't find out again...:smile-big-blue:

pitdog
03-14-2002, 05:15 PM
Hook,

I bought it!:big-grin-aqua:
I made a deal with the wife. I told her that "I" will redo the tile floor, which will save us $2000.00, and we will split the savings.

I bought it at the Turners in Orange and he said they have 17 in stock at the warehouse. I put the minimum down and now I need to learn how to lay tile.:confused-yellow:

Actually, my hunting bud Rick is a contractor and he thinks we can do it in one day (600sq ft ?????).

sp

Hook
03-14-2002, 11:13 PM
Wingman that's cool. :smiley-thumbs-up:

Frank
05-06-2002, 12:18 PM
Dog-gone-it Hook & Wingman you're a bad influence on me. LOL ! They're on sale again at Turners and if they have any left I will no longer be able to go through life without one.

p.s. like I need help / influence buying this stuff. lol

Frank

Frank
05-07-2002, 09:13 PM
I bought one last night. ###Still won't have it or my mini 14 ready in time for June 1st yote hunt though. Just as well I guess, due to the shooting fair that weekend that I am going to. Paid $549.00 for the Winchester Coyote. ###($30.00) Sale ends tomorrow and believe Turners has about 9 or 10 left ?!?!

Hook.... "White 4WD Dodge Ram"?! ###Same truck I drive. Cool....

Frank

Hook
05-07-2002, 10:18 PM
Frank,

That's cool, What caliber did you get it in? I have it in 243.

Is your Dodge a diesel too?

Frank
05-08-2002, 07:08 AM
Hook, got it in 22-250.... had one in Remington H.B. Varminter many years ago and was great, but sold it. ###I will not make the same mistake this time. Still think I like the mini 14 best for yotes (firepower), but this is a neat rifle / caliber and will enjoy it real well and can't have too many anyhow.

No, my Dodge is not a diesel.... thought about it, but went with the gas... At least we should spot each other easly out in the sticks.... Whenever I get my rifles back / put together :)

Frank ###

Hook
05-08-2002, 10:17 PM
Frank,
The only time I thought I had "too many" is when I ran out of room in my gun safe......then I thought NOPE, I dont have enough guns safes. ###:smile-big-blue:

Kernhuntr
05-09-2002, 06:41 AM
Hook,

I like that line of reasoning.

If you can tell someone how many guns you have off the top of you're head....you don't have enough.

Kernhuntr

Frank
05-09-2002, 09:07 PM
Kernhunter and Hook, I love it and couldn't agree more...on both counts !

Augustis
05-28-2002, 04:37 PM
How do they shoot out of the box?? I know someone that has been looking at this model recently. I was/am not overly impressed and will leave it at that as the proof is in the performance IMHO and of course the eye of the beholder.....

Regards, Augustis ><>

Frank
05-28-2002, 06:18 PM
Augustis, I honestly havn't shot mine.... Yet. ###However, willing to bet a donut it will shoot fine. ###One article in April 2002 issue of Varmint Hunter on page 33 specificully tested this rifle in 223 caliber, "straight out of the box" with no tune up done to it. It shot many groups under 3/4" with both factory and handloads.

Mine is currently in the shop having bedding, free floating and trigger work done before I even shoot mine (in 22-250 cal) so won't be able to tell you it's straight out of the box performance.

I personally like the looks, "Balance" and weight of it, better than most of the other heavier varmint or semi-varmint rifles. ###(I handled several for comparison before I boutht it). ###It does not feel like 9lbs. Not to mention the short action it has, where some others do not.

Guess proof will be in the pudding however and that won't be for a couple more weeks...unfortunately.

Frank

Hook
05-28-2002, 09:55 PM
Augustus,

I've shot mine out of the box and it shoots at about 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups. I think any rifle you get in that class ie: Remington VLS/VS or Ruger Varmint, will shoot the about the same. Real accuracy comes with some custom work like Frank is having done.

I had my trigger adjusted to 2 1/2 lbs. and plan on putting a HS precision stock on it soon, then hopefully I can close that group up a bit.
The main reason I picked the Win coyote is because of the 24" barrel. I like that length of barrel and all the others have a 26" barrel. Other than that they are all about the same IMHO.

Augustis
05-29-2002, 07:02 AM
Hey Thanks for the quick replies Gentleman!

Hook, What Cal. did you opt for?

The performance is not too bad really, I sometimes wonder if the factory guns like this model is just hyp. They install a bench rest style stock, heavy barrel etc. so people will buy something that *Looks* Custom but I did not know for sure? IMHO performance is everything not looks.

I have a custom FN .243 single shot (With Ramp instead of magazine) that has the look of the coyote but this FN rifle is a truely amazing shooter. The stock is walnut and maple laminate 26" heavy barrel trued B/F, lapped lugs which includes Canjar set trigger, It is topped off with a fixed 24X fine hair mil dot scope with 10" heat tube.

Its abilities are impressive, however I am considering having it rechambered to a 6/284

.243 bullet with Win 284 case necked down for this Cal.I will then accuire a 6mmRem to replace the .243

Maybe I am a little spoiled in my high expectations of a rifle with the *Look*????

I thank you for your replies and I will pass them on to the guy who has been looking at the Coyote as it sounds like it has the potential to build on.

Regards, Augustis ><>

Hook
05-29-2002, 09:19 PM
Augustis,

My rifle is a 243, Yes a lot of the manufactorers want that "custom" look but they cannot get the custom performance out of them because they are mass produced. I bought the rifle instead of going for a complete custom rifle mainly because of the price. It gives me a solid foundation so I can trick it out a bit more and get better groups. The stock is ok but it needs to be channeled out, the barrrel free floated, the action bedded, the trigger adjusted and after that I think you can get sub .5 MOA out of it with hand loads.

I agree, performance at the range is the best judge of the quality of a rifle.

Augustis
05-30-2002, 06:22 AM
Hook

<<"I agree, performance at the range is the best judge of the quality of a rifle." >>

And I agree with you, that price is/can be an important factor when comparing rifles, it would be un-realistic to stack the Coyote (Out of the box performance) against my FN, But....

It sounds like this model has the potential and could be a great foundation to build on *over time* (The installment plan)

Hec, we even like the same cal. 'o) Have you ever researched the 6/284 (LOL) ??????

Thank you gentleman for your input and I will pass the info along. I was admiring some rifles again yesterday and learned one of my shooting partners purchased a Win Coyote in 22-250 from a dealer we both do alot of business with, so I will get the chance to shoot one pretty soon......

Regards, Augustis ><>

Hook
05-30-2002, 08:28 PM
Augustis,

I have heard of other varmint hunters use the 6/284, I know it is an awesome round, but I dont reload yet so I like to stick with what I can find in the stores. I have a brand new Dillon 550 and a Rock Chucker press but have not set it up yet. My garage is a disaster zone...:skeered:

Let us know how your partner likes his Coyote.

Rookie
06-05-2002, 03:56 PM
Frank,

What shop do you have your gun at? Have you had work done there before? Good 'smiths are hard to find. I also live in the LA area. Thanks

Frank
06-06-2002, 06:32 AM
Rookie, it is at "Bolsa" in Westminister on Bolsa ave just East of Golden West st. right off the 405 fwy. Phone # 714-894-9100. The owners name is Fred. Nice man. I do not have the exact address.

Not sure how I would rate them, probably pretty good overall?! ###Don't believe I would have them do any real custom work and I was told they couldn't on one of my inquiries for such. I've been going there off and on for approx 25 years, with various owners over that time, I believe?!

I was told on 3 ocassions that I would have my 22-250 back (2 days ago) and was just told yesterday that I "might" get it back by the end of this week. (They've had it over 2 weeks). They are nice folks and are backlogged, however does makes ya wonder :)

Good Luck
Frank ###