PDA

View Full Version : Flights to AFrica

BigSwad
09-26-2006, 12:03 PM
Well I was planning on flying to South Africa via SAA from Atlanta. I came across something where it would be more beneficial to fly via the London route via British Airways. As I have been planning on carrying firearms, i am pretty sure as to what to expect via the SAA flights and the short Delta flight to Atlanta. But haven't really checked out the London route. I have picked up some issues via forums if flying through London, but just wondered if they were just a few that had a bad time due to bad planning or is it really a hassle to fly via London.

Whats everyone's thoughts that have flown via that route from the US? Primarily as it relates to traveling with firearms, especially if I have an overnight layover in London.

jjhack
09-27-2006, 07:48 AM
You won't be flying SAA from Atlanta anytime soon, they pulled out this summer.

The best option is SAA from Dulles, or Delta from Atlanta if they continue the plans they have.

Going through the UK would be my last choice as the gun issues are too high risk for me.

BigSwad
09-27-2006, 09:36 AM
Thanks JJ. That is what I had heard about UK as well. Didnt realize that SAA didnt fly out of Atlanta anymore. I guess I will fly to Dulles rather than Atlanta. I am not a big Delta fan.

John Paul
12-12-2006, 10:36 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jjhack @ Sep 27 2006, 05:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=756261)</div>
Going through the UK would be my last choice as the gun issues are too high risk for me.[/b]

I second that.

bigtusker
12-12-2006, 12:15 PM
I just returned from Zimbabwe. We flew from San Francisco to Washington Dulles on United. Then to Johannesburg on SAA and on to Bulawayo. The return flight came back into New York JFK. We had a good booking agent and all of our paperwork was in order beforehand. With an overnight layover in Joberg, we had to deal with the South African Police Service (SAPS) but having everything in order made it pretty painless. That is my only experience flying over there.

dw33
12-12-2006, 05:49 PM
Sounds like you had a good time. Any pictures of your hunt?

Glass eye
12-12-2006, 05:58 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BigSwad @ Sep 27 2006, 07:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=756290)</div>
I am not a big Delta fan.[/b]Last year I booked a flight with Delta and then they went on strike, they had me on pins & needles right up to the last couple of days.

bigtusker
12-12-2006, 07:11 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Sounds like you had a good time. Any pictures of your hunt?[/b]

Yes, see the thread titled "Back from Africa" in this forum.

Duknutz
12-12-2006, 09:18 PM
I flew from Sacramento to Atlanta to Joburg last year with no problems.But since they pulled out,My buddy flew to Germany then to Joburg this last September,with no problems.BUT,on the way home,he had plans to stay in Germany for seven days.Problem,Germany wouldn&#39;t hold his firearms while he was there and they wanted over a thousand bucks to send them back to an FFL holder.He lucked out since he was an ex-marine and the US military at the airport held his guns for him for nothing,while he was in Germany....Good Luck...